Sazerac 18 Year Rye - Prototype Barrel Proof

ChainWhip
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

And I thought the BTAC Saz 18 was hard to come by I bet this is going to be a killer and expensive too.

I had assumed since he called it a prototype and Saz 18 has been out for a while that this is something he got a long time ago, prior to Saz 18's release. I've been wrong before though...

I'm sure it will be Paul, and worth it. We know who made it and if we ask politely I expect Harlen will tell us the mashbill, approximate age, aging conditions and barrel entry proof. Those are things that influence my decision to pay a premium.

Wow! Hansell saying it's probably the best rye he's ever tasted?! Having had the 21 year old High West on Sunday and the Saz 18 last night ... that's the golden grail! Will be doing a barrel selection with Harlen in April and will darn sure try and get near this one!

Yet another honey barrel that gets sent to Hansell for a glowing review, but the final blend that we will pay thru the nose for, if we can find it, will be a different whiskey.:rolleyes:

I was under the impression that saz18 was tanked? So unless this is a totally different barreling of rye that means this would be the same as what is currently offered just "tank" strength?

I would gladly welcome the same expression at a higher proof. Saz18 is certainly on my short list of favorite ryes.

I was under the impression that saz18 was tanked? So unless this is a totally different barreling of rye that means this would be the same as what is currently offered just "tank" strength?

This "prototype" is apparently what eventually became Saz18.

Don't get too hyped up lads. I'll bet a bottle of 2010 Saz18 this never sees a store shelf, as I don't think it was ever intended to be a product. Just a test.

Could be Trey, I wouldn't disagree, do wonder though why they went to the trouble to get label approval if it's a one off.

Could be Trey, I wouldn't disagree, do wonder though why they went to the trouble to get label approval if it's a one off.

If you show me a COLA label filing I'll change my tune.

But to me that looks like a label printed up at the BT Tasting Lab, for the purpose of sending out an industry sample.

18 years is one hell of a test. What would they be testing? They have to know it's primo .. and to see Hansel saying it's the best he's ever had ... doesn't make sense that they would be sending it out .. knowing that there would likely be a public comment unless they had some plans for it. It's already seen the light of day now ... the question becomes when and how much?

18 years is one hell of a test. What would they be testing? They have to know it's primo .. and to see Hansel saying it's the best he's ever had ... doesn't make sense that they would be sending it out .. knowing that there would likely be a public comment unless they had some plans for it. It's already seen the light of day now ... the question becomes when and how much?

That's the thing...I don't think this is new. My assumption is that this was the PROTOTYPE for what we now know as Saz18. I think JH just dipped into his library of OLD samples and found it, and decided to share/brag.

That's the thing...I don't think this is new. My assumption is that this was the PROTOTYPE for what we now know as Saz18. I think JH just dipped into his library of OLD samples and found it, and decided to share/brag.

Right, this was my assumption.

I just found John Hansell's tweet from 12/30/12 and this is the original text:

"What I'm drinking tonight: the prototype to what is now the legendary Sazerac 18 yr. rye whiskey. But 110.2 proof!"

A few of questions I have:

Is this the tanked Saz18 @ a higher proof (same as current BTAC) or is it new rye that BT has been sitting on for the past 18yrs?

If the latter, is it just older BabySaz/THH or something else?

Finally, what I really want to know is if there are any plans to make this a real product offering?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.