Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey: An American Heritage

bourbonv
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I don't like the cover. I think it looks silly - like the bourbon is carbonated or something. However if you look at the dust jacket as a whole you will see it is bourbon being poured into a glass.

I am sure the Press would talk to any German publishers who are interested.

Mike Veach

For those who are interested, I will be signing books at the Getz Museum on the Saturday of the Sampler from noon to 2.

Mike Veach

I don't like the cover. I think it looks silly - like the bourbon is carbonated or something. However if you look at the dust jacket as a whole you will see it is bourbon being poured into a glass.

I was just wondering which brand of bourbon was chosen, did you have any input, or is it simply stock photography? Since you're not pleased, what would you have preferred for the cover? I personally enjoyed every aspect of your book, and felt it was one of the most eminently informative histories that I've ever encountered. You are a fine historian and writer. Thanks for this gem.

Edited by Wryguy

I was presented with the cover with no input at all. I don't know the bourbon used or even if it is bourbon. I would have preferred something more historical such as the one of the labels from the Miller scrapbook used in the book or even the Clark capps photograph of the barrel with the guager's tools also used in the book.

Mike Veach

Wow, that stinks! You would think that as the author you might at least get to offer an opinion. Oh well, kinda like bourbon its the contents that count more than the container!

I was presented with the cover with no input at all. I don't know the bourbon used or even if it is bourbon. I would have preferred something more historical such as the one of the labels from the Miller scrapbook used in the book or even the Clark capps photograph of the barrel with the guager's tools also used in the book.

Mike Veach

I'll try not to judge the book by its cover.

Thank you Lazer. I hope others have a similar opinion for picking the book and overlook the silliness of the fizzy bourbon.

Mike Veach

For those who are interested, I will be signing books at the Getz Museum on the Saturday of the Sampler from noon to 2.

Mike Veach

Edited by p_elliott

Mike Veach

And then hanging out with us Saturday night, right Mike??? Right???? :)

I will have some books there, but UPK has sold all of the first printing and evidently only ordered a thousand more for the second printing. I am not sure I will have the books to sell so I would say order off Amazon while you can.

Mike Veach

Thanks for the reply Mike I placed my order on Amazon and should have the book well before the sampler.

I was having lunch with Bill Samuels yesterday and discussing the book. He pointed out that I was a bit misleading in saying the 1950s was a golden age for bourbon. More correctly it was a golden age for bourbon consummers, but not distillers. He correctly pointed out the over production by Schenley forced them to close their smaller distilleries and kept prices low forcing independent small distilleries out of business as well. He is right.

Mike Veach

Got my book today I'll bring it to KY with me to get it signed.

Edited by p_elliott

• 3 weeks later...

Purchased my copy from Mike at his book signing Saturday at the Getz Museum in Bardstown. I was with Paul, Gary and Scott. Mike signed our books, and took the time to chat with us for a little bit. Hope to start reading it soon.

I want to thank you all who came out and bought a book and supported the Oscar Getz Museum.

Mike Veach

Just finished Mike's book. Outstanding, factual, very concise and to the point. Well done Mike!!!! I look forward to your future work.

Just ordered mine and look forward to reading it in the next few days.

I picked up several copies at the Getz when Mike was signing them I gave one copy to my father,who finished it in one day,he said he couldn't put it down.My father said that he enjoyed all of the factual information,Mike's straight forward style of writing and the basic overall structure of the text.I look forward to starting my read soon,I doubt I'll finish it in a day,but I do have some free over this weekend so who knows.

We're finalising our annual Amazon order this month and I've got two copies in the cart (one is for a fellow SB member). I did wonder if these will be the first copies in Australia? ;)

Just ordered mine thru Amazon and received this message: Delivery Estimate: Monday June 17, 2013 - Monday July 8, 2013. Book must be back ordered, that is a good thing for Mike :) Can't wait to read it!

Wow. That certainly does suggest it sold out the first printing. That's great for Mike and for University Press of Kentucky.

While you wait, I'll recommend another new University Press of Kentucky book, Kentucky BBQ by Wes Berry, also available on Amazon. If you don't know Wes, he's one of us, just a friend you haven't met yet.

And who doesn't like bourbon and BBQ?

Chuck,

The first printing was sold out at the end of March. I am surprised that there is that long of a waiting period on Amazon, because UPK told me the second printing is already here.

It was good talking with those of you who came by the Getz Museum. I hope all enjoyed the book as well as the conversation.

Mike Veach

Chuck,

The first printing was sold out at the end of March. I am surprised that there is that long of a waiting period on Amazon, because UPK told me the second printing is already here.

It was good talking with those of you who came by the Getz Museum. I hope all enjoyed the book as well as the conversation.

Mike Veach

Mike, I ordered a book from Amazon and got it the Wednesday of Sampler week, so if the first printing had already sold out in March, perhaps the second has sold out as well?

Bourduc,

I checked with the UPK and there is no reason that I can see for such a delay. The Press assured me that Amazon has plenty of books, so hopefully your book will be arriving soon.

Mike Veach

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.