Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey: An American Heritage

bourbonv
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Thanks for the update, Mike. My order says that I will receive two shipments, maybe it is the other items in the order holding up shipment?

Still looking forward to the book.

Thanks for the heads up on the BBQ book - Kentucky BBQ by Wes Berry. I'll have to put it on my wish list.

Rob

Rob, I suspect that is the case. Thanks for ordering the book. I hope you enjoy it and if you ahve any question, feel free to ask.

Mike Veach

Well done Mike. A great book. It now sits on the bourbon shelf as a reference while pouring away.

• 2 weeks later...

I am enjoying the book, too. Nice read. I like the use of the "call outs" in gray boxes with tidbits of information , e.g. "John Fitch, "The Real McCoy", "Whisky or Whiskey", etc. It reminds me of the similar thing they do on shows like "Modern Marvels", right before they go to commercial. Interestingly, when I read the ones in the book, I hear that guys voice from Modern Marvels. :D

Joe,

I don't have cable so I have not seen Modern Marvels, but I am glad you like the sidebars. I tried to use them to explain things that people might not know or if I thought the subject seemed to fit in the history being discussed, but I did not want to get off the subject in the text. Thanks again to all who have read the book.

Mike Veach

I just finished the book myself and I have to agree with Joe,I really liked the added "bits" as related to the history of bourbon itself,especially the little side story about W.L.Weller,Yikes!I thought it was a great read start to finish and really proves once again,you never know everything.Great book I couldn't recommend it enough,especially to someone just beginning the hobby and it will also appeal to seasoned veterans alike.

• 1 month later...
Does Samuel L. Jackson read it?

That would only be topped in coolness by Dave Chappelle reading it as Samuel L. Jackson.

That would only be topped in coolness by Dave Chappelle reading it as Samuel L. Jackson.

...Or as Lil' John.

Great read, Mike.

What I really want to know is - who has made some compound whiskey using the recipes in the book? They should be included in the next BTOTY event...

Lincoln Henderson made some "Bourbon" for me using the 1860s recipe back in 2001. I still have some. It is interesting to taste, but it is not anywhere close to tasting like a real straight bourbon.

Mike Veach

• 4 weeks later...

My copy arrived from Amazon last week after a two week trip round the world if the post stamps are anything to go by.

While you wait, I'll recommend another new University Press of Kentucky book, Kentucky BBQ by Wes Berry, also available on Amazon.

Also arived in the order.... thanks Chuck for the recommendation!

I hope you enjoy the book. Let me know if you have questions about the book.

Mike Veach

I hope you enjoy the book. Let me know if you have questions about the book.

Mike Veach

Will be leaving for vacation this weekend Mike, and your book is coming with me for the back porch and evening pour(s). I've been saving it for 3 months, and am looking forward to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Popped up locally at Costco. Already have a copy from when it was released (great read!), but grabbed one as a gift for the father-in-law.

Popped up locally at Costco. Already have a copy from when it was released (great read!), but grabbed one as a gift for the father-in-law.

I did not realise that the book was for sale at Costco. If you want me to sign the book for your father-in-law, bring it by the Filson and I will do so.

Mike Veach

Just picked up the audio version. Loved reading it the first time, can't wait to listen through as well. It's just the right length to get me to the KBF :D

I will be very interested in hearing your opinion of the audio version. Please let me know what you think.

Mike Veach

Audio version? Cool! Who narrated it? FWIW, I would nominate Larry Kass. Now, that's a voice! 200 people in a pitch black room with everybody talking, you'll know right where Larry is. He's kinda like the James Earl Jones of Bourbonia. :D

I listened to it yesterday. It's very palatable for a single session at about 2 1/2 hours. The narrator sounds like the guy who does all of the audible tags on each recording, the "This...is Audible" guy. He does a fine job, a little dry but there's not much need for theatrics. The only difficult/strange/off-putting thing is the way the inset articles are read, which is straight through as if they're part of the primary text. I knew ahead of time that would probably be the case, as there's not a better solution. As many of the insets are recipes it makes for a slightly confusing and disorienting change from the narrative of the chapter. This happens with all books that feature heavy inset sections or even worse, footnotes, when they are read aloud as audiobooks and is not a negative critique of the content of the book, merely a recognition of a limitation of the audiobook format.

I'll probably still listen to it again on the way to Bardstown to help set the mood!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.