A Superlative Jack Daniels

Gillman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I heard that same canard the other day from someone who should know better, that Brown-Forman lowered the proof to 80 when they bought Jack Daniels.

Brown-Forman has owned Jack Daniels for more than 50 years.

Thanks, Squire .. I'll double check and inform my bartender .. he should know better! (I'll inform him pleasantly, though, so as not to impact my future pours.)

Yes, let's not upset THOSE bartenders. Too huge a resource, from what Steve tells me. Guess I'll see for myself in March.

I understand where everyone is coming from with the banana flavor in JD products. I thought the same thing too. I've sipped some JD the last couple of nights, and I got something different this time around. Yeah, we all know that JD is filtered through sugar maple charcoal, and maybe it's a bit suggestive, but I swear the sweetness I got from my JD and JDSS was more akin to a hint of maple syrup. :skep: Maybe y'all could revisit your Jack and see if you can taste it too. I'd hate to think that I'm the only crazy one here that tastes maple syrup. :crazy:

I just had some JDSS ans tasted a hint of maple syrup in the initial taste, towards the front of the tongue. It disappeared into the oak and char flavor pretty quickly though. And I've never really tasted any banana in any of the JD products I've had. Must just be me.

I just acquired a Silver Select. Very good, no banana. I think this is the best expression of JD I've ever had.

Joe :usflag:

I just acquired a Silver Select. Very good, no banana. I think this is the best expression of JD I've ever had.

Joe :usflag:

The Silver Select is only available in "Duty Free" shops, correct?

I plan on picking up a bottle of JD for our Super Bowl party, as I have several friends that love the stuff. It'll give me a chance to sample it side-by-side with the remainder of a bottle I bought last year which was decent enough but nothing special. Here's hoping the newer bottle shines!

I know of a store that (hopefully still) has a number of bottles of the semi-dusty old 86 proof JD. I'ill try and procure another bottle or two if I can. Maybe one could make the trip with me to the sampler. :cool:

I know of a store that (hopefully still) has a number of bottles of the semi-dusty old 86 proof JD. I'ill try and procure another bottle or two if I can. Maybe one could make the trip with me to the sampler. :cool:

I would snag up on those even though I don't drink JD. I know people who do that would like to have it .

I would snag up on those even though I don't drink JD. I know people who do that would like to have it .

I might do that. The problem is, the store owner knows what he has. He's raised the price some.

I might do that. The problem is, the store owner knows what he has. He's raised the price some.

What does something like that go for, Joe?

What does something like that go for, Joe?

Last time I was there it was about $25 IIRC.

25 is fair for the 86er, and it's good whiskey but not spectacular. If you were talking 90 proof jack, you'd have something for sure!

• 4 weeks later...

I'd never had JD (any label) in my life until yesterday, when my friend gave me a 100 ml bottle for our Friday "beer-thirty" sendoff to the week. I found it to be like liquid bananas, with a finish reminiscent of chewing on a rubber ball. Ummm, interesting? I guess it's a good mixer, with the uber-banana flavor. I suppose this bottle was not one of the new, improved ones.

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah my friend, but... I like that they have the bananas in JD. I like that they had the eucalyptus in old HH. I like that they have the yeasty thang in Beam. I like that they have the cantaloupe rind in Woodford. I like that they have the good earthiness to a good BT. I like whatever the heck that is in LDI ryes. House Styles. That's what I like. Not every bourbon has to be creamy vanillas, burnt sugar, caramel, and so on...I would hate if all bourbon whiskies migrated to an indistinguishable profile. Heck, sometimes I think we're almost there, already...

Stay DIFFERENT, I say!!!!

:soapbox:

I picked up a 200ml awhile ago. Today I poured a JDSB and a JD#7 head to head. the old #7 has lots of banana notes, smokey, vanilla, some oak and hints of baking chocolate. the single barrel has a thicker mouth feel, more oak and vanilla. the banana notes are toned down and very faint, with bittersweet chocolate finish.

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE! I called the store back that had the 86 proof JD. The lady I talked to thought she called me back. :skep: She thinks they have some more, but she's not sure where it's at. Part of that reason is that one of the store owners just passed away. She said she'd call me back this week after things have hopefully settled down and gotten back into a more regular routine. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :rolleyes:

Edited by fishnbowljoe

UPDATE! I called the store back that had the 86 proof JD. The lady I talked to thought she called me back. :skep: She thinks they have some more, but she's not sure where it's at. Part of that reason is that one of the store owners jut passed away. She said she'd call me back this week after things have hopefully settled down and gotten back into a more regular routine. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :rolleyes:

Here in Ontario we have lots of JD 86proof. It's marketed as Jack Daniel's White Rabbit Saloon. I assume the one you are after is just in a standard Old #7 bottle from years ago?

The 86 White Saloon is (IMO) similar to the Black Label but stronger of course.

I just made a three-JD blend using White Saloon, Silver Select and fairly light-bodied SB. It's about 2:1:1.

I am bringing it to gazebo forthcoming as I think it is outstanding both in taste and pillowy soft texture.

Gary

Here in Ontario we have lots of JD 86proof. It's marketed as Jack Daniel's White Rabbit Saloon. I assume the one you are after is just in a standard Old #7 bottle from years ago?

Yes, it's regular Old #7, only a semi-dusty version. BF lowered the proof to 80 in 2005 (?).

I haven't had JD in years, but I recently saw it on sale and bought a bottle for the heck of it. This thread has me looking forward to trying it.

Well, I got the call, so I had to do my sworn duty. :cool: I was a little surprised that these were liters and not 750's as before. Pics below.

Joe

post-3455-14489818870025_thumb.jpeg

post-3455-14489818870338_thumb.jpeg

Nice! One of the things I find with JD is that it just tastes better at 86 proof or over. My JD vatting coming to Sampler has 3 JDs in about equal proportions, the 86 proof White Saloon, Silver Select, and a regular Single Barrel. I feel the taste is very good and rich but also that it benefits from the resultant approximately 90 proof.

Gary

Edited by Gillman

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.