A Superlative Jack Daniels

Gillman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I believe that I have a bottle of Silver Select in my near future. I'm not a JD fan, but these finds are pretty sweet. :grin:

For anyone seeking JD @86 proof, Stateline Liquors in South Beloit, IL has 750s and liters in abundance. I think the 750 was 14.59.

Haven't seen 86 proof for years in Australia.

Jack Daniels has been a constant companion since I started drinking alcohol. There's a story in every bottle. Enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, this time I'm sure it's Jack: found a dozen bottles of the Angelo Lucchesi bottling, 90 proof, @34.99. I've searched and searched but can't find any reviews from someone who has actually tasted this. I'm not a JD fan, but I'll bite the bullet and pay the extra cash for the extra proof if say others can speak to its quality. If it was 21.99 it'd be at home with me already.

The Angelo Lucchesi bottling is basically what JD used to be before 1987? Or, close to what JDSB is now.

Closer ot what it was like in the 80's. The Lucchesi is still a mix of a lot of barrels, just proofed to 90 instead of 80. Thats how they do all of their special bottlings, like the White Rabbit saloon and Master Distiller bottles they're now selling at the distillery.

• 2 months later...

I just ran across a bunch of the Angelo Luchesi bottles @$20. Guess I'll pick up a couple for grins and giggles.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought some green label last weekend for a camping trip. I was astounded at the way it had improved. It was more like JD of old. I am told that a few years ago that some extra copper found its way into the system. I bought some black label and it is not there yet. So it makes sense the green would improve first. It had that good JD flavor that I think it lost over say the last 15 years.

I had a similar experience to Gary's initial post. I picked up a pint of Jack this past weekend for a quick overnight trip to see some family. I was frankly shocked at how much better it is than a few years ago. No banana, lots of caramel and a silky hint of smoke. Something else that I would call malty, I guess. Had I tasted this blind I would not have guessed it to be Jack.

I'm trying to think if there is an 80 proofer out there that I like better. I can't come up with one. I still think it's overpriced by at least half but I can't fault the quality, as it is top notch in my opinion.

• 2 months later...

JD has become my "go to" whiskey lately. I have purchased all the limited edition bottles available in Ontario, Canada. Most recently the Master Distiller Series #1. This bottles does taste different than the White Rabbit Saloon, both at 43% abv. The MDS #1 tastes spicier, and the WRS tastes much sweeter. The 1954 Gold Metal tastes a bit spicy, not as sweet, and has no where close to the amount of wood influence of the others (Black Label, WRS, MDS #1, Single Barrel). I wonder if they took the barrels from the lower floors, in the center of the warehouse like they are said to do with the Green Label.

Excellent comments both. Jack has improved considerably in the last 10 years, all versions. All my friends here who enjoy whiskey agree on this.

Gary

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.