The Parker Beam promise of hope

boone
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Out of 4 Parker's I've been luck enough to sample (27 year, Wheated, Blended Mashbill were the others), Promise of Hope is my favorite. Stumbled across two bottles. Or was it after two bottles?

• 5 months later...

Just found another one in the Minneapolis area for $89. They were also having a sale on some bourbons so I picked up a bottle of Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare 10 y/o store barrel selections.

• 3 weeks later...

How is it that Promise of Hope has managed to stay on the shelves for a whole year when every other bourbon stamped "limited" sells out in minutes? I tried it over the weekend and was totally blown away. A 10 year single barrel doesn't sound sexy, but this one approaches perfection. It nails every element of the traditional bourbon profile at a perfect proof. It reminds me of Pappy in a way, elegant in its sublime execution of simplicity. I immediately went looking for a bottle and was able to locate one. How that's possible, I have no idea. People chased Old Blowhard, Jefferson's Ocean and Stagg Jr. into obscurity, but somehow it took me just a phone call or two to locate Promise of Hope. A tremendous oversight on the part of whiskey-loving consumers everywhere; then again, it's nice not to see a quality release go the way of the Wooly Mammoth for once.

I COMPLETELY agree with you, bicktrav. Even when I didn't know much about bourbon, I couldn't ignore the taste of this one. One of my favorite bottles.

Somehow it escaped my attention until now that the label lists this as a "single barrel" bourbon but it is apparently like ETL in that there is no way to identify which barrel each bottle is from. Which seems a bit surprising since I had thought this release was intended to be consistent across the board to match Parker's preferred flavor profile. I have not noticed much difference from one bottle to the next but then again I have no idea whether I have had bottles from the same barrel or if they are all different.

That, and the >$110 shelf price is the only thing keeping my wallet pocketed here. Had a tasty store sample, tho.

That, and the >$110 shelf price is the only thing keeping my wallet pocketed here. Had a tasty store sample, tho.

The first time I found a bottle in the Minneapolis area (spring 2014) it was $100 and bought two, finished one. I recently found another bottle for $89, so I bought it. Very balanced bourbon. But I'm not in a hurry to open the 2 bottles I have.

• 2 weeks later...

It's damn good. Worth the price? Maybe not. But whenever I have people try it blind they really enjoy it. Never the best in a tasting but always well liked.

• 1 month later...

I don't have access to nearly as much as some of you closer to better shops, etc., but this is the best bourbon I've ever had. This is classic bourbon, as elegant as they come, and I've tried most of the BTAC at least once, all of the Pappy's, etc. I bought one of these from one store, tried it...afterwards I tried to get the 2 I left behind, and they were gone. I found another store that had 2 more, and I bought them both. I cracked one of them earlier this year just to see if it was up to standard of the 1st one, and it was!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I bought two when they first came out, then last week I stop in a small store out in the middle of nowhere and they have a bottle on the shelf. $75.00. I had to pick it up, it was their last one.

I bought two when they first came out, then last week I stop in a small store out in the middle of nowhere and they have a bottle on the shelf. $75.00. I had to pick it up, it was their last one.

Smart move. That's a good price.

• 1 year later...

Indeed. A life well lived, an inspiration to so many, and a liquid legacy few could aspire to.

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.