Current PVW Prices 2012/2013

smknjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

What about the uninformed consumer who goes to the restaurant and it's suggested to them?

1) Caveat emptor

2) See: Career, P.T. Barnum

There will never be a spirit that I'm willing to pay $130 a pour for. In fact, I've not yet identified a BOTTLE of a spirit that I would pay $130 for (at least not a 750). But that's just my take on it.

You're right too. That would be a big problem. But I believe the age-old adage "BUYER BEWARE" aptly applies here.

I understand that, but people go to "good" restaurants to get the recommended menu items.

Anybody who would exploit customers would stretch Pappy with 12 year old Weller.

I would also note that this is rather recent. Husk/Sean Brock have roughly doubled their Van Winkle prices in the past year. This seems really disturbing to me because I've been made to believe that they have a rather consistent (or unlimited) supply of the stuff ... out of good will. Why do this to the patron so shamelessly?! 4x for a bottle of wine, that's pretty common. But they are going 8-10x on these.

If Julian isn't getting a cut of this, he should be pissed off. I've given a few of my friends bottles of Pappy recently AT COST because they can't find it as easily. If I found out they were flipping it on eBay, it would seriously test our friendship.

Can someone email Julian/Preston about this Husk thing? The more I think about it the angrier I get. Get Wadewood on the case!

It's not just the VW prices you should be pissed about. A lot of their bourbons and ryes are priced at 50% or more of MSRP for a bottle.

For example:

OWA for $9

EC12 for $9

FRYL for $9

and my personal favorite, (I'm still chuckling):

Old Overholt for $7 a pour.:bigeyes::bigeyes::rolleyes:

It's not just the VW prices you should be pissed about. A lot of their bourbons and ryes are priced at 50% or more of MSRP for a bottle.

For example:

OWA for $9

EC12 for $9

FRYL for $9

and my personal favorite, (I'm still chuckling):

Old Overholt for $7 a pour.:bigeyes::bigeyes::rolleyes:

Well, I understand that there is more or less a baseline minimum that you need to charge for drinks. They take up the same shelf space, require the same amount of labor, etc.

Absolutely no reason to charge $50/70/130 for PVW other than to screw people over.

I'm guessing that Husk can probably move the bottles they get at those prices .. so they get them. They just don't get them from a knowledgeable buyer spending his own money! It make me appreciate our local lounge more than ever. PVW 23 I think is $35. Jefferson SB 18 is $17. Most of the stuff we discuss here runs in the 6.50 to $11 range. My OGD114 is 6.50 or $7. Well Brand is 1783 at $4.50. IMO that ain't bad at all.

That may be, but mathematically the $7 pour of Old Overcoat is the bigger ripoff. And at least with the Pappy you got something decent out of it.

End of January of this year in NJ the prices I paid were:

ORVW 10yo 107 - $44.95

Lot B - $72.99

PVW 15yo - $76.99

PVW 20yo - $124.99(Lowest)-$176.99(Highest)

PVW 23yo - $229.99

WLW & GTS 2012 - $62.99 ea.

With the new prices being what they are and the proprieter being fond of last name changes, might I suggest changing Brock to Crock.

Depending on the expense account crowd is a mistake, expense alone doesn't impress clients.

The real tragedy is charging $29 for the VA Heritage Pork, Creamy Pit Beans with Smoky Tomatoes and Lacinato Kale! I paid just $12 for VA Heritage pork in New Orleans just last week!

Depending on the expense account crowd is a mistake, expense alone doesn't impress clients.

You mean the diners are picking up their own tabs at those prices? Hmm, that's a tony neighborhood.

Can someone email Julian/Preston about this Husk thing? The more I think about it the angrier I get. Get Wadewood on the case!

I would also note that this is rather recent. Husk/Sean Brock have roughly doubled their Van Winkle prices in the past year. This seems really disturbing to me because I've been made to believe that they have a rather consistent (or unlimited) supply of the stuff ... out of good will. Why do this to the patron so shamelessly?! 4x for a bottle of wine, that's pretty common. But they are going 8-10x on these.

If Julian isn't getting a cut of this, he should be pissed off. I've given a few of my friends bottles of Pappy recently AT COST because they can't find it as easily. If I found out they were flipping it on eBay, it would seriously test our friendship.

A couple of years ago, I gave away bunch of PVW 15 (pre-2009) to some good coworkers/friends, I definitely hope they had enjoyed it instead of reselling it.

Before that I did gave away a bottle of PVW20, for someone's father in law who was extremely happy and impressed with it.

If people and restaurant keep hogging and price gauging who will ever be able to enjoy and experience something so good!

Cheers

Hugh

look, i think what these guys are charging is ridiculous, and i would personally never pay those or any price close to that. that being said, there is a flip side here that i dont think anyone has really brought up, and that is the concept of changing prices to level out demand in order to have a constant supply of the stuff in stock. even if the restaurant has some special relationship with the van winkles, it still has some limit to its supply. maybe they were selling out consistently before these prices, i dont know for sure either way. i just remember that in this whole makers debacle a few weeks ago, a lot of voices out there were suggesting that they just raise the price a bit, in order to keep supplies more constant. maybe that is just what the restaurant is doing here. they probably will always have a bottle of 23 on the shelf as a discussion piece and to attract some whales who think its cool to spend $130 on a glass of booze. simply because so few people will pay those prices, there will be booze around and on display. a lot of guys buy expensive, fast cars that they known nothing about, just because they think it makes their package look big. seems the restaurant is taking advantage of that same idea here

look, i think what these guys are charging is ridiculous, and i would personally never pay those or any price close to that. that being said, there is a flip side here that i dont think anyone has really brought up, and that is the concept of changing prices to level out demand in order to have a constant supply of the stuff in stock. even if the restaurant has some special relationship with the van winkles, it still has some limit to its supply. maybe they were selling out consistently before these prices, i dont know for sure either way. i just remember that in this whole makers debacle a few weeks ago, a lot of voices out there were suggesting that they just raise the price a bit, in order to keep supplies more constant. maybe that is just what the restaurant is doing here. they probably will always have a bottle of 23 on the shelf as a discussion piece and to attract some whales who think its cool to spend $130 on a glass of booze. simply because so few people will pay those prices, there will be booze around and on display. a lot of guys buy expensive, fast cars that they known nothing about, just because they think it makes their package look big. seems the restaurant is taking advantage of that same idea here

I am one of the biggest supporters of a free market - I was very 'pro-choice' in the great eBay debate of 2012. Deep down, I think restaurants (and liquor stores) should be free to charge what they want.

HOWEVER, this is not an issue of capitalism. The issue in my mind is that the Van Winkles can't simultaneously be against liquor stores that price gouge at the retail level AND also support Sean Brock's pricing of their product. Husk's prices are simply counter to what ORVW has publicly said against exploitative practices. Please note that Husk's prices aren't just high ... they are the highest I have ever seen listed for a restaurant or bar in any city.

i think you make a good point about the Van Winkles and their stance on it. i cant say i care enough either way to email them, but i am sure someone on this board already has and would be interested to see the response. as an aside Rockefeller, rest easy knowing that New York still probably holds the dubious distinction of having the worst bourbon prices of any city in America. $100 for a pour of four roses LE, and $200 for a 2oz pour of WLW 19 year...

http://charno4.com/menu/wine-and-whiskey/

It's pretty simple. Don't buy food or drink from douchebags like the two mentioned above. I was in Charleston and my sister was offering to pay for dinner at the Husk. I refused because of Brock's VW Pimp status (can't take credit for that one) and we ate at Waffle House instead. Julian should cut him off but given the James Beard connection I doubt it will happen. As was mentioned in another thread I would not at all be surprised if VW goes restaurant only or on premise only. I'm pretty much done with the brand anyhow but that will be the final nail in the coffin for me.

Anyone want to start talking about bottle codes now?

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!