Corsair Ryemaggedon

mopgcw
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Picked up a bottle of this on a whim last week. Liked the Reservoir Dogs label. Incredibly awesome stuff. super smooth flavors upfront; rye spice is there muted, but caramel and chocolate wild wild stuff. fire on the finish to bring it all home but smoothly. 46%/92 proof with no age on the label. I give these guys props -- very different and very good. I will need to try their other libations for sure.

• 2 months later...

I was able to go and visit the distillery in Bowling Green and try several of their offerings. I walked away with triple smoke being my favorite of all the tastings that day. Ryemaggedon was definitely a close 2nd for me. I had to break down and get my wife a bottle of their Vanilla Bean Vodka. I did enjoy watching them distill their own white dog right there in their shop. Very small shop, but a very talented group of guys. Very interesting flavors for such a young spirit. Reminded me of some good home crafted moonshine.

I really wish I had tasted their Insane in the Grain, but they said it did not last very long. I was told they were aging more of that in Nashville, TN I believe, but would not be available until December. I will definitely be calling and following up with them in December. They also said they were expanding their distillery in Bowling Green. I wish someone here who has had an opportunity to taste the Insane in the Grain could give some tasting notes. I think with their success on the Triple Smoke they will start getting noticed more. I have several friends who have purchased it just after talking about Corsair with me. Kentucky is actually their worst market. Hope fellow Kentuckians will increase support for the little guys in the artisan business. Nice to have folks creating interesting unique flavors on a small scale and be successful.

Thanks for the good words! We appreciate it. -- Darek

Picked up a bottle of this on a whim last week. Liked the Reservoir Dogs label. Incredibly awesome stuff. super smooth flavors upfront; rye spice is there muted, but caramel and chocolate wild wild stuff. fire on the finish to bring it all home but smoothly. 46%/92 proof with no age on the label. I give these guys props -- very different and very good. I will need to try their other libations for sure.

I really wish I had tasted their Insane in the Grain, but they said it did not last very long. I was told they were aging more of that in Nashville, TN I believe, but would not be available until December. I will definitely be calling and following up with them in December. They also said they were expanding their distillery in Bowling Green. I wish someone here who has had an opportunity to taste the Insane in the Grain could give some tasting notes. I think with their success on the Triple Smoke they will start getting noticed more. I have several friends who have purchased it just after talking about Corsair with me. Kentucky is actually their worst market. Hope fellow Kentuckians will increase support for the little guys in the artisan business. Nice to have folks creating interesting unique flavors on a small scale and be successful.

I did not have the insane in the grain, but have a bottle of the quinoa, corsair and the triple smoke.

All three are wonderful drinks in the evening with a cigar. I will say the corsair is a bit of an acquired taste. my first reaction was a negative. but now i can see it (fourth tasting) and probably not my favorite, but still nice to push the boundary and have something very different.

the triple smoke is great -- not nearly as ash driven as the brimstone -- just the right balance in my mind.

The quinoa is very good stuff too; certainly different, but not as different on the first round as the corsair. a very light start upfront, with a lot of fire in the middle and then ending with different finish. you can really taste the barley as it seems the quinoa is a much lighter grain to me at least.

And i did stock up on an extra bottle of the ryemaggedon -- the bee's knees for sure.

Hoping these guys keep up the great work.

Picked up both the Ryemaggedon and Wry Moon (along with the Quinoa whiskey) in Nashville after taking the tour of Corsair on my way up to Bardstown this weekend. Shared them all at the Gazebo but of course there were lots of other things there that interested the crowd, including me!

Still, for young whiskey I thought they were all pretty good. A bit pricey but don't mind helping support the craft guys a bit if they are making good whiskey.

This is one I meant to try over the weekend and never got around to. I did nose on the bottle a bit though, and that was nice.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.