ri1 is still in production

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Thinking about Beam's Rye portfolio in the context of the Old Overholt age statement change, I wondered if (ri)1 ('rye one') is still in production. I asked and it is.

One thing I speculated about in that thread. I wonder if Beam has any more ryes up its sleeve? For instance, Basil Hayden has been booming lately. A Basil Hayden Rye would be a natural.

Well, reduces the chances of close out sales.

Funny you should say that, I saw some at bargain basement prices in Indiana last time I was there, $10 cheaper than the usual. Almost bought some.

The biggest question is - why? R1 is horrid stuff.

I've been on a streak of agreeing with alot of your takes HC of late, but have to go counter on this one. Hard to imagine how you could get "horrid" out of it. I dissed this one when it was first released. But, I have recently found it to be a nicely flavorful rye. Not big and bold, like I like my ryes to be, actually. But, I am finding it to be wonderfully flavorful...if subtle. I have found myself not caring if I ever saw it again, to now gladly receiving Chuck's report of it's future. But of course, YMMV.

However, your recent cocktail recipe for the rye, Fernet-Branca, etc...is dyn-o-mite! I never thought I would EVER have to buy another bottle of FB as long as I live, but my recent consumption is changing that...:D

:toast:

The only thing wrong with (ri)1 is the name and price. It's a perfectly good Beam-recipe rye. I didn't ask for details but apparently it's selling where it's selling. Beam has enough marketing muscle to get products into places where they don't belong, so they show up as close-outs, but it's obviously selling somewhere, and well enough for them to keep making it. That's what I wanted to know.

However, your recent cocktail recipe for the rye, Fernet-Branca, etc...is dyn-o-mite! I never thought I would EVER have to buy another bottle of FB as long as I live, but my recent consumption is changing that...:D

:toast:

Funny you should say that, I saw some at bargain basement prices in Indiana last time I was there, $10 cheaper than the usual. Almost bought some.

I didn't care for it at first (and I HATE the bottle itself) but in a blind tasting recently it was actually better than I had remembered it to be. Try a blind tasting and see what you think.

had it twice and was not a fan, i may have to try it blind as you suggest. not horrid, but i thought meh...

"meh" is fair, especially if your idea of great rye is the more flavor the better. It's milder, arguably better-balanced, and I find it goes down pretty easily. I like it in all of its iterations. Which are: Old Overholt, Jim Beam Rye, Knob Creek Rye, (ri)1. I probably like the Knob Rye best, then (ri)1.

The only thing wrong with (ri)1 is the name and price. It's a perfectly good Beam-recipe rye.

I agree with you 100% on this one. As someone else has said "There is no bad whiskey, there is only over priced whiskey"

Just had some Knob Creek Rye a few minutes ago. Never had the Ri1. Sounds too much like high school science stuff....

The biggest question is - why? R1 is horrid stuff.

Completely disagree with this. I'm very fond of Ri1....mostly for sentimental reasons. When we were sampling bourbons at a bar, a friend suggested that I try rye whiskey, and this was the best this bar had in the house. So, Ri1 was my first introduction to rye. Granted, I've tried several ryes that I like better (Handy, Rittenhouse, Sazerac), but I still really enjoy this whiskey. With the Knob Creek rye coming out, I'm surprised they still make it, but I ain't complaining!!!!

Apparently Beam has determined there is a marketing niche for these lighter styles, after all, Canadian whiskys sell very well here.

There is enormous difference in price of this whiskey in the Columbia area. I can find it from $22 to $50. All in all, it doesn't sell well here. In one store I frequent, I mentioned that I had heard it had been discontinued and the next week it was 50% off and still hasn't sold. I tried it at the Beer, Bourbon, and BBQ festival. Wasn't impressed so I haven't bought it at even $22.

Although I also like the yellow label Jim Beam Rye, the Ri1 is better IMHO. Better mouthfeel, much more complexity, etc. Just better in just about every aspect. And for my palate, the Knob Creek rye is a touch better than Ri1.

• 2 months later...
The only thing wrong with (ri)1 is the name and price. It's a perfectly good Beam-recipe rye. I didn't ask for details but apparently it's selling where it's selling. Beam has enough marketing muscle to get products into places where they don't belong, so they show up as close-outs, but it's obviously selling somewhere, and well enough for them to keep making it. That's what I wanted to know.

So, curious, I decided to run a report on our store's rye sales this year. Rye is an interesting beast, because all the alcohol marketing magazines/publications keep hyping rye as the current/next "hot" category. Maybe this is true for bars/mixologists, but we've seen only a slight bump in consumer demand in our retail store.

Moving on, there are a few notable rye whiskies we do not carry, namely Rittenhouse (when available, weak sales) and the new Knob Creek ($$$/quality ratio) and George Dickel. Nonetheless, our rye sales rankings are as follows:

#1 Old Overholt(?!)

#2 Bulleit

#3 Sazerac (although would be higher if it weren't allocated)

#4 Finger Lakes Distilling McKenzie Rye

#5 Jim Beam Rye

#6 (Ri)1

#7 Templeton

#8 Whistle Pig

Truth be told, sales figures for each of these ryes are fairly close. There are no runaway "best-sellers" in this category. (Ri)1 actually sells alright in this market--within a few bottles of Jim Beam Rye and the others. Also, thrilled to see the McKenzie Rye performing so strongly, even at the higher price point.

I've had the same thought. One local store has it under $20, I've considered pulling the trigger if only for making Manhattans.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.