Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

HighInTheMtns
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

There's a new item on the Utah state liquor list this month... Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, priced at $39.99. I know this has been in the gift shop at HH but has anyone seen it elsewhere?

Hmmm...that's about $35 cheaper than the gift shop version, yeah? Haven't seen it, but then again I haven't been looking. Will now.

There's a new item on the Utah state liquor list this month... Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, priced at $39.99. I know this has been in the gift shop at HH but has anyone seen it elsewhere?

EC Barrel Proof for $39.99?

Hmmm, something ain't right here, but that could be me.

My guess is that it is a 12 year, 375ml bottle at that price. I've never seen 375s of Elijah Craig, but then again I've never seen it barrel proof either. I need to remedy that...

It is a 750ml bottle but since it has yet to show up on shelves, can't say whether it is 12 years old or not; the listing reads "ELIJAH CRAIG BARREL PROOF 750ml." I'm guessing that it will be another few weeks before it actually shows up here. Being on the list means they have an order on the way. They have it listed with a status code of "A" which means that this is an allocated item.

A couple observations about the likelihood of this being 12 years old: We know there is a 12 year old barrel proof label. If this weren't 12, someone would have turned up a new COLA for it. And the price of $39.99 is well in line with the $22.99 price (here at least) of regular EC12.

Here's a link to the online price book: http://www.webapps.abc.utah.gov/Production/OnlinePriceList/DisplayPriceList.aspx?ClassCd=AWK.

Edited by HighInTheMtns

I often get it twisted. Man, do I wish that I lived in Kentucky or Utah. I wouldn't be surprised if I saw this for upwards of $100 around these parts when it comes out. The liquor store down the street from my parents place is selling their last three cases of EC18 for $150 a bottle. Meanwhile the store right down the hill from me still has a bottle for around $55. Less than 70 miles apart from one another a $100 disparity. Go figure.

I often get it twisted. Man, do I wish that I lived in Kentucky or Utah. I wouldn't be surprised if I saw this for upwards of $100 around these parts when it comes out. The liquor store down the street from my parents place is selling their last three cases of EC18 for $150 a bottle. Meanwhile the store right down the hill from me still has a bottle for around $55. Less than 70 miles apart from one another a $100 disparity. Go figure.

Don't feel too bad. We never got any EC18 at all in Utah. And we don't get Larceny or any HH BIBs or Rittenhouse BIB. It's really strange to see this added to the list. I've been paying attention to the Utah list for a lot of years now and this is the first time I've ever seen anything crop up there that I didn't already know was for sale elsewhere (gift shop doesn't count.) Hopefully Chuck Cowdery or someone has heard something about this and can fill us in.

The one thing I do know for sure is that I'm excited for the bottles to show up in the stores so I can give it a try.

EC12 Barrel Proof,Stagg Jr. and the new RRSB, I am starting to see a trend developing of more affordable high proof bourbons and I like it!

I just saw this on something from Binny's dated 2/8/13:

"How does Elijah Craig 21 year sound? How about Elijah Craig Cask Strength? We expect both in about month. Oh yeah. "

I just saw this on something from Binny's dated 2/8/13:

"How does Elijah Craig 21 year sound? How about Elijah Craig Cask Strength? We expect both in about month. Oh yeah. "

Based on my experience with the EC20 the EC21 doesn't sound particularly appealing. Cask Strength, depending on price, might be a different story.

• 3 weeks later...

To be expected, I suppose. Bummer. Still may not preclude me from giving it a go.

Barrel proof 12 year old EC? Sign me up. $40 isn't too bad considering most other barrel proof lines require you to throw down around $70 + per bottle.

I have not only seen it but have owned it since a couple weeks before Bourbon festival this year and it was considerably more that $39. It's 128.9 proof, or at least my bottle is. 12 year to be sure. If anyone can tell me how to post a picture I will.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.