Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

HighInTheMtns
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I know we originally learned about this due to it showing up in the inventory of a state liquor sales catalog at $40. But according to the link below, it retails for $75 at the gift shop.

Good news. I am assured by the Heaven Hill folks that it does have an age statement on the label, it's just been moved to the back label to make room for "Barrel Proof" on the front. It's not NAS but it is a limited edition, so act fast. They'll start shipping toward the end of next week or early the following week, then it will take some time to move from the distributors into the stores, but stores should have it by the end of the month. It's being rolled out at the same time everywhere.

Well I "think" I figured out how to post a pic. Im on an Ipear so it still may not work. I have had this bottle for a while and it shows age statement right on the lable. (its the big red #12)

post-9455-14489818691564_thumb.jpg

post-9455-14489818691564_thumb.jpg

Edited by Meruck

That was the gift shop only bottle.

New label for everyone else.

Well, there you go.

I guess I should clean my office before sending out pictures of it next time too.

This is certainly a step in the right direction, age stated cask strength is pleasant news.

It's listed in the MI book for $49.99 at 132prf/12yo, I'll place my order tomorrow.

The OH book lists a EC SB for $43.95. Since they don't always list stuff correctly, I wonder if this is the barrel strength?

The OH book lists a EC SB for $43.95. Since they don't always list stuff correctly, I wonder if this is the barrel strength?

That was the listing for EC 18. The new bottling hasn't made the list...yet I hope.

That was the listing for EC 18. The new bottling hasn't made the list...yet I hope.

Thanks ox, I knew you or Thomas would know

This is all excellent news thus far. Love the price. Any idea how big this "limited" release is going to be? I'd throw this into the today's bunkerable bourbon list immediately.

Good news. I am assured by the Heaven Hill folks that it does have an age statement on the label, it's just been moved to the back label to make room for "Barrel Proof" on the front. It's not NAS but it is a limited edition, so act fast. They'll start shipping toward the end of next week or early the following week, then it will take some time to move from the distributors into the stores, but stores should have it by the end of the month. It's being rolled out at the same time everywhere.

I sure hope 'everywhere' includes Honolulu. I'm checking with my favorite retailer in a couple days - gotta light a fire here!

Since they're not announcing the number of bottles produced, as they typically do with Parker's Heritage, for instance, my guess is that it's a one-off but there will be a lot of it. I don't think it will be impossible to get. I think they're looking directly at the recent spake of $50+ super-premium releases and giving the same type of product for $10 less. That's Heaven Hill's business model and God bless them for it. I was concerned that they went NAS, but they quickly assured me it is still age-stated, so this is a nice little package. Twelve-years-old, barrel proof, non-chill filtered, for about $40. Anybody got a problem with that?

Twelve-years-old, barrel proof, non-chill filtered, for about $40. Anybody got a problem with that?

Only if I don't get a couple!

They'll start shipping toward the end of next week or early the following week, then it will take some time to move from the distributors into the stores, but stores should have it by the end of the month. It's being rolled out at the same time everywhere.

Maybe a little early, but has anyone see this in stores yet?

Just called the local big boy store and they couldn't find it in their system. They said the distributor had not heard of it either. I hope we get it soon.

It's only just started shipping, so it might be a couple weeks away from being at retail.

I got the following email from HH yesterday:

Here’s some exciting news for Bardstown Whiskey Society members. Heaven Hill

Distilleries just announced that Elijah Craig 12-Year-Old Small Batch Bourbon

will soon be available in a special high-end Barrel-Proof bottling which

provides a more intense flavor experience. The new release will carry a dark

brown version of the cartouche-style Elijah Craig label, with “Barrel Proofâ€

highlighted in red. Heaven Hill’s Senior Brand Manager Susan Wahl says a growing

number of consumers today appreciate the uniqueness of an ultra premium Bourbon

and this new limited edition Elijah Craig has all the qualities they want.

According to Master Distiller Craig Beam, the taste and mouthfeel of the

new release will be noticeably richer for a couple of reasons. Proof of this

first bottling will be 134.2 (67.1% alcohol/volume) compared to 94 proof (47%

alcohol/volume) of the original bottling plus the unique esters and taste

components which develop naturally in the barrel will be preserved because the

whiskey will not be chill-filtered as is a routine procedure in many traditional

Bourbons.

The new release will probably have begun shipping by the time

you read this and should soon be available across the country, although

quantities will be limited. And while the bottle itself has the same familiar

look as the one that has earned such accolades as Whisky Magazine’s “Best of the

Best†Bourbon and the Double Gold Medal at the San Francisco World Spirits

Competition, it will come with a well-deserved, higher price tag. The

anticipated national retail average price will be $39.95 for the 750ml size.

So if you’re a fan of Elijah Craig, be on the lookout for a bottle of

the new barrel proof edition. Then, some evening after the hustle-bustle of the

day has quieted down, settle back and see how amazing a good Bourbon can really

be.

I'll be on the lookout. Sounds like a great value buy. At 134pf watering it to taste should make it go a long way

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.