Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

HighInTheMtns
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Water chasers after each sip is a good indication to me that it's hot. Water, in my opinion, washes away the finish too early.

Certainly not sorry I bought mine. Quite the opposite. I'd buy bunches more. Just greatly prefer it with the proof adjusted. And fine by me as it will last that much longer!

Overproof spirits are hot certainly, they're more than half alcohol. Fortunately, we can fix that.

Certainly not sorry I bought mine. Quite the opposite. I'd buy bunches more. Just greatly prefer it with the proof adjusted. And fine by me as it will last that much longer!

I'm hoping to get a bottle or two of this Elijah Craig bourbon concentrate to enjoy as well.

I thought it was remarkably smooth for a 134 proof bourbon the one time i tried it.

I think describing something as "hot" is a very subjective term that can vary greatly. Ive had times when a high proof bourbon nearly choked me it was so hot and hard to pick out any flavors other than burn. And then the next day I have tried the same bourbon and it was much easier to drink and the flavors poured through. Mood, nosing and breathing patterns when tasting, glassware, and food consumed all have a huge effect..

Well of course. All descriptors are subjective. Some find it hot, some don't. Such is life. Haven't seen anyone call it bad yet though. :D That being said I'm sure it simply won't be to someone's liking.

As far as "Water chasers spoiling the finish..." I usually wait about 3 or 4 minutes before following the sips of a 'hot' dram with a little water, just to be sure to enjoy that finish. To me the water just gives the palate a clean break so the next sip is as lovely as the last. But, hey any way you like it is the right way, eh? Have AT!!!

Tasted this last night and was pleasantly surprised. I poured it next to a 2011 GTS (142.6) for a comparison. I sipped neat, with no proof adjustment. Just fer fun. Of course you have to sip these gingerly at this proof, or yes, they will taste "hot." I should note that the GTS has been open since September, and the ECBP was opened and tasted immediately.

With 6+ years of age on the ECBP, the GTS was superior in all categories, as I would expect. More complex nose, more flavor/coating on the palate, and a longer finish. The ECBP was more bitter/oakier on the palate, and this dominated the finish as well.

I'd rate the GTS an A- and the ECBP a B+. However, the value of the ECBP I feel is very high. For a newly opened bottle to show this well against a legend like Stagg at half the price, it's a "must try" bordering on "want to own."

I picked up a couple bottles today. The first place I looked told me it wasn't out yet. "I'm looking for the new Elijah Cr..." "It's not out yet." "But a friend of mine already picked some up from another liquor store in Ann Arbor." "They're not out in this county yet." "I see. Thanks." The next place I go, which is in the same county, had two bottles and gladly sold them to me. Never buying from that first lunkhead again.

Oh, and it's crazy delicious. It was a little too hot for me to drink neat so I added a bit of water. Did very well.

Unfortunately, I have already experienced stores in Michigan gouging on this product asking as much as $79.99 /bottle.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Ah they're just charging gift shop prices. Seriously though that's a damned shame.

Still haven't seen it around here. My fingers are crossed that at least some of it will make it to retail.

Its in Chicago, i got my 3 bottle allocation today. So happy hunting this weekend, I'm looking forward to trying it as my shift drink tonight after work.

I'm waiting for the first Atlanta sighting. Placed some feelers out and haven't gotten a positive yet, but rumor has it arriving today (so hopefully this weekend or early next week). Not sure why I'm so impatient - as if I have nothing else to enjoy in the interim :lol:

I picked up a couple bottles today. The first place I looked told me it wasn't out yet. "I'm looking for the new Elijah Cr..." "It's not out yet." "But a friend of mine already picked some up from another liquor store in Ann Arbor." "They're not out in this county yet." "I see. Thanks." The next place I go, which is in the same county, had two bottles and gladly sold them to me. Never buying from that first lunkhead again.

Oh, and it's crazy delicious. It was a little too hot for me to drink neat so I added a bit of water. Did very well.

Im guessing this is the same store that told me OF didn't release a birthday bourbon this year, and who swore they'd be the only place in town to get the EC barrel proof...

I am immediately distrustful when a merchant tells me his store is 'the only one in town' to receive certain limited release bottles because each time I've been told that I later discovered I had been intentionally mislead.

Im guessing this is the same store that told me OF didn't release a birthday bourbon this year, and who swore they'd be the only place in town to get the EC barrel proof...

We get the "do you have any __insert rare bourbon____?" question all the time. When we say no and try to explain why, 95% of the time the next question is "do you know if any other stores around here have it?" Its tough to bite your tongue and continue to be polite but my usual answer is that i dont have any idea.

Came and went in Louisville in a day. At least as far as I can tell. I had reserved a bottle at my favorite store but I was not in the top 3 so I got none. Called around, couldn't find any.

I guess I should just be really glad that I got to taste it at the Bourbon Classic.

and charged me state minimum for the two bottles they got.

Wow! You got lucky, the retailers I deal with say that it is not possible to order it and the HH rep spreads it around.

Since I am in a non-bourbon zone as far as the local consumers goes these places won't be getting any.

I see on the Louisville Liquor Barn's Facebook page that it is selling fast and they didn't get much so you made the score of the year.

It's really good. It's hot, naughty, and clears out the sinuses. Big oak and spice once you get past the burn, well balanced with corn all over the finish. Certainly something I'm proud to serve on the wall behind me. Not rushing out to buy for home or bunker though.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.