Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

HighInTheMtns
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Finally scored my EC 12 134.2 Proof today. No age statement on front but back label says 12 years of aging. Can't wait to try it. Not as cheap as some of the prices I was seeing on here. $45.00. Still cheaper then what I paid at HH.

post-9763-1448981884754_thumb.jpg

I do like the new look of the label.

KFC

Spoke to two different stores in Atlanta area today, and both lamented that the local allocation was very low (one mentioned his distributor telling him it was limited to 20 3-packs). Neither knew if they would get any, but I'll be checking with them (and others) daily.

Spoke to two different stores in Atlanta area today, and both lamented that the local allocation was very low (one mentioned his distributor telling him it was limited to 20 3-packs). Neither knew if they would get any, but I'll be checking with them (and others) daily.

They allocated 60 btls to stores and 60 to restaurants. Might hit stores in Atlanta as early as Friday but it'll probably be early next week.

They allocated 60 btls to stores and 60 to restaurants. Might hit stores in Atlanta as early as Friday but it'll probably be early next week.

Good to know! Is that fairly typical to allocate so many of a new release to restaurants? Or just a function of how limited this initial wave is? If I'm unsuccessful myself, I'm hoping some lucky folks snag one and bring it on a road trip later this month :grin:

Pits different for everything. Case by case type of thing. I assume that the demand by retailers would have more pull. After all, they move a shitton of product across all categories. Restaurants are great places to "build" brands because people look there to try new things without buying the whole bottle. Plus the difference in price between top and bottom shelf on a per drink basis might be .25 cents or a dollar but the bottle price in a liquor store might be 10-20$ or more.

Doesn't seem like restaurants would sell much barrel proof stuff, but I guess it depends on the restaurant.

Had a nightmare last night where this showed up next week around these parts while I was on vacation :o

Had a nightmare last night where this showed up next week around these parts while I was on vacation :o

I'm not going to get myself all worked up over whether or not I get a bottle of this, and I doubt I'll even go out looking for one. Now that I got some good news from smokinjoe. Thanks, Joe!

Well its in Atlanta. I got a call from my store telling me he put one on reserve for me. Fingers crossed that holds up until I'm on the way home from work.

After that I was driving by Greenes on pounce and figured I'd stop and check. The empty 3 bottle case was mocking me from the middle of the bourbon section. Stock gal said it was out as soon as she put down the box. If they only got one case supplies will really be limited, cause God knows that stores goes through some booze.

Well its in Atlanta. I got a call from my store telling me he put one on reserve for me. Fingers crossed that holds up until I'm on the way home from work.

After that I was driving by Greenes on pounce and figured I'd stop and check. The empty 3 bottle case was mocking me from the middle of the bourbon section. Stock gal said it was out as soon as she put down the box. If they only got one case supplies will really be limited, cause God knows that stores goes through some booze.

I was kind of interested when all the talk started, but I'm not chasing this stuff. If I come across it outside of Atlanta in my travels, I might jump, but it's kind of insane that people are buying this stuff 3 deep when most haven't even sampled it previously.

I was kind of interested when all the talk started, but I'm not chasing this stuff. If I come across it outside of Atlanta in my travels, I might jump, but it's kind of insane that people are buying this stuff 3 deep when most haven't even sampled it previously.

Well, I haven't had it, but I really like the normal EC12 so I was going to get 2 bottles if I could, but not going to be broken hearted about it either way. I expect that this will turn into a common release that will be fairly easy to find in the future, just a small initial release to test/chum the waters. But I don't know too much about the bourbon business so I might be completely wrong.

nearly every review on here has been positive with glowing reviews from some (including my own). finding a high proof barrel strength bourbon under $50 is getting tough enough. And this one is 12 years old too!

What he said. Unless HH simply doesnt do it for you why wouldn't you want to stock up given the chance?

I tried it last night at Whiskey Live NYC and like others thought it was really tasty. Maybe a little hot with all that alcohol but a splash of water probably would have taken care of it. I asked the Heaven Hill rep there what the availability was going to be like going forward and she said the stock would not be as available as the regular EC12 or EWSB but it they're making more of it than Parker's Heritage.

Lord knows this initial wave was smaller than any single dump of last years PHC. Maybe they're going to dole it out slowly throughout the year?

I think (but don't know) that this will roll out in waves. They'll release a certain amount into a market and see how it sells. That will determine how much that market gets in the next wave. Think about EWSBV. That's not really limited. They make as much as they receive orders for until it's time to switch over to the next vintage. Here they have even more flexibility, in terms of what whiskey they can use. It doesn't have to be all from a certain year, it just has to be more than 12 years old. For that matter, barrels of that whiskey turn 12 every day, so there's no reason to think the supply of this is even finite, except in absolute terms. But to the extent that they can manage scarcity, they can continue to generate buzz and sell even more. This isn't nefarious or anything. As they have more bottles to add to the pipeline, it makes sense to send them where there seems to be the most demand.

So, if it's already come and gone at your whiskey monger, keep checking. I'm pretty confident there will be more, and not in a year, but maybe in a couple of weeks.

I am hoping this does roll out,so to speak in several waves of small allocations throughout the year so maybe just maybe I still have a shot at a bottle.

Would each batch be a different proof like PHC?

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

I think (but don't know) that this will roll out in waves. They'll release a certain amount into a market and see how it sells. That will determine how much that market gets in the next wave. Think about EWSBV. That's not really limited. They make as much as they receive orders for until it's time to switch over to the next vintage. Here they have even more flexibility, in terms of what whiskey they can use. It doesn't have to be all from a certain year, it just has to be more than 12 years old. For that matter, barrels of that whiskey turn 12 every day, so there's no reason to think the supply of this is even finite, except in absolute terms. But to the extent that they can manage scarcity, they can continue to generate buzz and sell even more. This isn't nefarious or anything. As they have more bottles to add to the pipeline, it makes sense to send them where there seems to be the most demand.

So, if it's already come and gone at your whiskey monger, keep checking. I'm pretty confident there will be more, and not in a year, but maybe in a couple of weeks.

A 3 bottle case arrived at my usual store in Athens this afternoon - and then there were 2.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.