Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

HighInTheMtns
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Love this bourbon, but not at $100 I'm afraid.

Agreed. It's really good juice, but one of reasons is that it's barrel proof at $40. I've heard that HH is going to make this an annual release, we'll see?, but if so, then one would think there would be limited collectibility value.

At $100, I won't want to buy from this store that's pretty outrageous.

Agreed. It's really good juice, but one of reasons is that it's barrel proof at $40. I've heard that HH is going to make this an annual release, we'll see?, but if so, then one would think there would be limited collectibility value.

Bill, I have heard (from a rep, so take this with a grain of salt) that it will be released three times per year...or at least that is the goal.

Why wouldn't they? It's not like they've produced special barrels for this product - this is just selected barrels of their standard-bearer EC12. Market demand will likely influence the release schedule. High demand will keep it flowing.

Edited by MauiSon

I would love to see this offered at least twice a year. While it is not the "best" whiskey I own in terms of complexity and what-not, at this moment it is my favorite bottle. I do like variety, but this is the dram I dreamed about when hearing about BT's Single Oak project's goal of "the perfect bourbon". Smack-dag in the middle of my wheelhouse :yum:

Bill, I have heard (from a rep, so take this with a grain of salt) that it will be released three times per year...or at least that is the goal.

Hopeful they do, but also surprised they're not working overtime right now to make it happen. Imagine the profit margin for them is higher as is the halo effect of one of their core products being >$40.

Then at some point they will come out with a NAS version we will call Baby Elijah.

Then at some point they will come out with a NAS version we will call Baby Elijah.

That's funny... Although I think Elijah Jr. has a better ring to it ;-)

This is an ongoing product, which means that when they have enough distributor orders, they select and pull the needed barrels, bottle them, and ship them out. There are no 'releases.' It's not a limited edition. In theory they can temporarily run out and have to wait for more to mature, but I don't even think that's much of an issue. If availability is a problem it's only because this is still a very new product and you can't necessarily predict demand for something brand new. This is on the distributors more than the producer. They, and the retailers, will of course blame the producer if the customer can't find something, but when it's not a limited edition and not in an existing allocation/shortage situation, then it's really just about the distributor ordering enough.

This is an ongoing product, which means that when they have enough distributor orders, they select and pull the needed barrels, bottle them, and ship them out. ...

This is on the distributors more than the producer. They, and the retailers, will of course blame the producer if the customer can't find something, but when it's not a limited edition and not in an existing allocation/shortage situation, then it's really just about the distributor ordering enough.

This is an ongoing product, which means that when they have enough distributor orders, they select and pull the needed barrels, bottle them, and ship them out. There are no 'releases.' It's not a limited edition. In theory they can temporarily run out and have to wait for more to mature, but I don't even think that's much of an issue. If availability is a problem it's only because this is still a very new product and you can't necessarily predict demand for something brand new. This is on the distributors more than the producer. They, and the retailers, will of course blame the producer if the customer can't find something, but when it's not a limited edition and not in an existing allocation/shortage situation, then it's really just about the distributor ordering enough.

Thanks for the knowledge. Means i get to verbally tease my local shop next time i see them. "Listen, call them and ask THEM to order more!".

Seriously didn't see any on the shelf in Louisville hope i get a chance sooner rather than later.

Yes, it's usually, "well, if were up to me", followed by either 'them' or 'those guys'.

The most astounding thing about the arrival of ECBP around here is that "the" local liquor store, which never marks up anything over suggested retail, even gives a discounted price on Pappy, BTAC, etc., charged more than $40 a bottle for this ($45). Stunned, I just had to inquire (after reluctantly buying several). Somehow, the buzz around ECBP got their attention more than that surrounding any of the others.

For ECBP I suspect his customers will be inclined to part with a fiver without getting too upset.

The most astounding thing about the arrival of ECBP around here is that "the" local liquor store, which never marks up anything over suggested retail, even gives a discounted price on Pappy, BTAC, etc., charged more than $40 a bottle for this ($45). Stunned, I just had to inquire (after reluctantly buying several). Somehow, the buzz around ECBP got their attention more than that surrounding any of the others.

If you go to Heaven Hill's Visitor Center, you will pay $54. In my opinion, $45 for barrel proof bourbon is not excessive.

If you go to Heaven Hill's Visitor Center, you will pay $54. In my opinion, $45 for barrel proof bourbon is not excessive.

I'd gladly pay $45 if I could find it. I know folks who paid $50 without thinking twice about it, and while it was $40 in Atlanta, I don't know that I'd buy less of it at $50. When I think of other bottles around $50 (not many come to mind - Blantons, Bookers, over-priced Noah's Mill), I prefer ECBP over all of them - easily.

Due to the general scarcity, when I had the opportunity to pick up a couple of bottles of the ECBP at $50 each, I did so. I certainly wouldn't mind a bit more availability and competition to ideally bring the price down, but I don't think I overpaid. This is good stuff, and I vatted a full 750 of 50% ECBP and 50% EC12 custom barrel, which is quite delicious at 114 proof. Looking forward to more to come.

This is good stuff, and I vatted a full 750 of 50% ECBP and 50% EC12 custom barrel, which is quite delicious at 114 proof. Looking forward to more to come.

surprised at how much 134.2 there is out there

did they small batch the stuff by dumping multiple barrels together, I though this was supposed to be a single barrel

surprised at how much 134.2 there is out there

did they small batch the stuff by dumping multiple barrels together, I though this was supposed to be a single barrel

No, it's small batch. At WhiskyFest, Bernie Lubbers told me 75-80 barrels for this one, 120+ for future dumps. The gift shop bottles may be 1B.

No label indication that the GS bottlings are SB. I would guess they are batched.

No label indication that the GS bottlings are SB. I would guess they are batched.

The presence of four different proofs in the gift shop at the same time suggests single barrel, but no way to tell for sure.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.