Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

HighInTheMtns
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It will be consistent, the Master Blenders at Heaven Hill know what they are doing.

Or consistently inconsistent (and always good) like the rest of EC12

I saw quite a bit in a North Jersey wine shop that is probably well known to those in the Springfield area. I was there about three weeks ago and saw what I thought was an individual bottling done for the store - it is NOT the new darker label - looks like the current EC12 label color, but also says "Single Barrel Cask #4271507 V" and is 134.2 proof and is equally confusing with "Small Batch 12 years old" also on the front label. It is also mislabeled as "94 Proof" but after tasting it is clearly much higher than that and the store display indicates it is indeed 134.2 proof. The back label looks like the standard EC12 back label.

I paid $36 or so for it, and they had cases of it. They cannot ship spirits, but if you are local and want to know where, PM me. However confused the label is, the stuff in the bottle is fabulous - I've tried it cut to various proofs and it holds up extremely well, stays in balance. This might not be the new official bottling of the cask strength single barrel, but if you are having trouble finding that, this is really tremendous.

I saw quite a bit in a North Jersey wine shop that is probably well known to those in the Springfield area. I was there about three weeks ago and saw what I thought was an individual bottling done for the store - it is NOT the new darker label - looks like the current EC12 label color, but also says "Single Barrel Cask #4271507 V" and is 134.2 proof and is equally confusing with "Small Batch 12 years old" also on the front label. It is also mislabeled as "94 Proof" but after tasting it is clearly much higher than that and the store display indicates it is indeed 134.2 proof. The back label looks like the standard EC12 back label.

I paid $36 or so for it, and they had cases of it. They cannot ship spirits, but if you are local and want to know where, PM me. However confused the label is, the stuff in the bottle is fabulous - I've tried it cut to various proofs and it holds up extremely well, stays in balance. This might not be the new official bottling of the cask strength single barrel, but if you are having trouble finding that, this is really tremendous.

Sounds like the bottles that were sold at the gift shop. I am actually receiving 3 bottles today, although purportedly being sold for $60 at the gift shop. I heard the stuff on the inside (despite the confusing label) is amazing as well.

Any speculation about whether the next release will likely be as good, or whether they put extra effort into selecting the first nationwide batch and will be less careful in the future (along with dumping a larger number of barrels)? Personally, I made sure to get some from the first release due to the idea that companies often cut corners in one way or another after making sure to make a good first impression and convincing enough people the label stands for a great product (except of course for "craft" distillers, who are forced to release anything liquid at first and try to convince people to keep buying because it's getting better).

The very idea that I may have got something special first makes me feel very Cowderyesque!

Still, only way to know is to buy the 2nd dump when you see it. Which I will!

Never had to say this, but I do feel like this round of ECBP was something special. Who knows?

But usually the smarter ones realize if something works don't change it.

Cheers

Hugh

FYI - Apparently the store in NJ still has ~7 cases (they consider it 12 bottles per case).

FYI - Apparently the store in NJ still has ~7 cases (they consider it 12 bottles per case).

Per sutton's original tip, I stopped in there this past weekend, and they have a lot of it. That sounds about right.

It was basically as sutton described it in the store, and totally bizarre. I saw a display of them on the first level without any description other than the price, and then there was a much larger display upstairs.

Bottle itself looks like a custom bottling of standard EC12, shows the cask #, and 94 proof. Then at the big display upstairs, there is an EC12 barrel, plus a couple of printed descriptions that say that this is actually a special bottling for the store at 134.2 proof. I took them and sutton at their word, and plunked down my money for 3 bottles (I think it was $35 plus tax each). Kind of annoyed now that I spent $49.99 on my two bottles of the wide release a couple of months ago, but it is what it is.

Anyway, thanks again to sutton for the tip. Hopefully this store's supply will last some time.

Per sutton's original tip, I stopped in there this past weekend, and they have a lot of it. That sounds about right.

It was basically as sutton described it in the store, and totally bizarre. I saw a display of them on the first level without any description other than the price, and then there was a much larger display upstairs.

Bottle itself looks like a custom bottling of standard EC12, shows the cask #, and 94 proof. Then at the big display upstairs, there is an EC12 barrel, plus a couple of printed descriptions that say that this is actually a special bottling for the store at 134.2 proof. I took them and sutton at their word, and plunked down my money for 3 bottles (I think it was $35 plus tax each). Kind of annoyed now that I spent $49.99 on my two bottles of the wide release a couple of months ago, but it is what it is.

Anyway, thanks again to sutton for the tip. Hopefully this store's supply will last some time.

So the bottle says 94 proof, but the sign in the store says 134.2 proof? Does the color look like the original release a couple of months ago (it can't be mistaken with typical EC12)? At $35 that is a steal if it is even a close facsimile to the first dump!

The barrel strength was 3 bottles per case. 94 proof on the label means 94 proof in the bottle. This is most likely a store selection of the regular EC12. May be Very good but doubt it is barrel strength. As d911 asked, is the whiskey as dark as dr pepper?

RM, I understand your skepticism, but for now we'll have to go by Sutton's post #403, as I haven't opened my bottle and probably won't for a while. He's tasted this bottling and says it is clearly higher proof than the regular 94 proof.

And this is a highly regarded store, so I can't see them blatantly falsely advertising this as 134.2 proof if it wasn't. Even store bottlings of the regular EC12 are priced under $30, and this bottling is marked at a $43 or so in the store, and sells at $35.

Anyway, it's more a local anomaly at this point. It may have started as a regular custom barrel, hence the label, and morphed into a cask strength at some point.

...Personally, I made sure to get some from the first release due to the idea that companies often cut corners in one way or another after making sure to make a good first impression and convincing enough people the label stands for a great product...

I can't go along with your idea BBB...the hook you and then cutting corners game...even in one way or another.

RM, I understand your skepticism, but for now we'll have to go by Sutton's post #403, as I haven't opened my bottle and probably won't for a while. He's tasted this bottling and says it is clearly higher proof than the regular 94 proof.

And this is a highly regarded store, so I can't see them blatantly falsely advertising this as 134.2 proof if it wasn't. Even store bottlings of the regular EC12 are priced under $30, and this bottling is marked at a $43 or so in the store, and sells at $35.

Anyway, it's more a local anomaly at this point. It may have started as a regular custom barrel, hence the label, and morphed into a cask strength at some point.

I say the best way to find out for sure is to buy several bottles and send them to your friends at SB. We can help you determine their true content. :grin:

Another way to verify would be to contact the store and ask them about it. I am sure they can verify what they are selling.

A store in Indy has ECBP for 99.99.

It seems VERY unlikely that this store selected a barrel whose proof is exactly the same as the (batched) retail release of ECBP. Additionally, HH has a fill-in-the-blank version of the regular EC12 label (they use it for the gift shop barrel proof bottles) so why would they ship a barrel worth of bourbon marked with the wrong proof?

I just don't buy this story.

Sutton, where are ya man--you started this mess... ;) I have the "wide" release ECBP at home, so I can just compare them when I get the chance. Bottom line, either this is legit, or I'll call the store on a mistake and return the bottles, or pay what I should pay for regular EC12, getting at the very least, a single barrel select in the process. From what I recall though, this bottling did not look as dark as the wider release bottling. That's where the first-hand tasting by sutton and the store's posted description came into play. Perhaps sutton can pop back in since he's actually tasted it.

Sorry if this is distracting from the broader discussion of the ECBP, which is outstanding in its own right.

Another way to verify would be to contact the store and ask them about it. I am sure they can verify what they are selling.

A store in Indy has ECBP for 99.99.

That wouldn't happen to be Payless, would it? They have a history of gouging on limited releases.

That wouldn't happen to be Payless, would it? They have a history of gouging on limited releases.

Yep, I was blown away by the price! I can buy a few bottles of good bourbon and whiskey for that price. They wanted 69.99 for EC18!

A store with a single barrel of EC12 cask strength does not surprise me. We were told they would be adding it to their private barrel program and then were told they were not doing it. Someone might have been able to hold them to their initial promise to add EC12BP to the private barrel program.

The labeling is suspect however. Bottling label says 93 proof, then a second label says 134.2. Doesnt sound like something the TTB would approve of. Anyone have a hydrometer laying around.

The barrel strength was 3 bottles per case. 94 proof on the label means 94 proof in the bottle. This is most likely a store selection of the regular EC12. May be Very good but doubt it is barrel strength. As d911 asked, is the whiskey as dark as dr pepper?

What he said...

Sounds like this was a store "barrel seletion" (albeit at barrel proof) and not the same as the original retail release from HH.

Doesn't mean it's not great whiskey.... just that we may be discussing "apples vs oranges".

Sorry - I haven't been on in a few days and saw that I sparked a bit of discussion (and thread drift) - The store in question actually does a fair amount of volume so it isn't surprising to me that the price is good, they are known to have very competitive pricing on wine and spirits - but given the label being in conflict with the store display, I cannot say with 100% certainty what the strength is, other than it is CLEARLY higher than 94 proof. I'm certainly not as experienced as others, but my throat could tell the difference! What the proof actually is, I have to take the store at their word - as jefferyr says, they are very reputable and if I remember correctly, the display did say this is a private bottling. I'll speculate that the private bottling got mis-labeled on the bottling line and they just accepted it as is and discounted heavily ... who really knows.

It will take me some time to post a pic - I'm traveling - but if you have one, perhaps you can validate (or refute) my taste buds! Either way, whatever it is, it is a private bottling of EC12 at $36, roughly $6 over standard EC12 in this area, so take a leap - it is very very good stuff (IMHO of course), and there is a lot of it - if you can't find the ECBP, this seems a very nice substitute at a great price.

Cheers!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.