Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

HighInTheMtns
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just an update for those in Indiana.....

I talked to a friend who works at a liquor store today. He talked to his rep and they told him the next bottling should hit Indiana in mid-to-late August.

Okay, got the 137 and just took two sips. Neat, the nose is cinnamon sticks and nutmeg. I mean, like serious dry cinnamon sticks for mulled wine. On the palate it's light-colored wood (I guess polished wood or laminate or something like that, not fresh and not deep or resinous), alcohol, and this really nice chocolate covered cherry note that lasts through the finish. Very nice! It's like a wheater!

With 2 mls water to 15 mls EC12BP, the nose is softer but on the palate it's a lot spicier and rougher. I like it better neat, darn it. The chocolate covered cherries are really fun :)

Sorry, I can't do a comparison tasting, as I missed the boat on the first release.

Edit: why did they release this in the summer?!?!

Edited by bad_scientist

Okay, got the 137 and just took two sips. Neat, the nose is cinnamon sticks and nutmeg. I mean, like serious dry cinnamon sticks for mulled wine. On the palate it's light-colored wood (I guess polished wood or laminate or something like that, not fresh and not deep or resinous), alcohol, and this really nice chocolate covered cherry note that lasts through the finish. Very nice! It's like a wheater!

With 2 mls water to 15 mls EC12BP, the nose is softer but on the palate it's a lot spicier and rougher. I like it better neat, darn it. The chocolate covered cherries are really fun :)

Sorry, I can't do a comparison tasting, as I missed the boat on the first release.

I've attached a pic. I assume that it's otherwise the same label.

I realize this is the exact opposite of the way I'm supposed to take a picture of a bottle, with the light streaming in and whiting everything out. You have to understand, it's very dark in my apartment right now and it was the only way I wouldn't have to use the flash.

post-7670-14489819482081_thumb.jpg

post-7670-14489819482081_thumb.jpg

Edited by bad_scientist

Looks good to me bad.

Thanks, Squire. I'm not an artist but I know bad art when I see it :)

My wife is making me a blind tasting now. Let's see if I can pick it among CEHT BP and WLW 2011...

I picked it out alright. Air is not kind to this. With some glass time it tastes like a hot EC12, nothing more. Tasty, yes, but wah, where are the cinnamon sticks (whimper)...

Just an update for those in Indiana.....

I talked to a friend who works at a liquor store today. He talked to his rep and they told him the next bottling should hit Indiana in mid-to-late August.

Wow, that's awesome! Thanks for the heads up. I will have to start checking my local retailer more frequently. Actually, I should see if they have a waiting list.

Liking it neat will make it go faster! :lol:

I've attached a pic. I assume that it's otherwise the same label.

I realize this is the exact opposite of the way I'm supposed to take a picture of a bottle, with the light streaming in and whiting everything out. You have to understand, it's very dark in my apartment right now and it was the only way I wouldn't have to use the flash.

Yeah, the little pumpkin head party witch is pretty hot!

• 2 weeks later...

This 134.2 batch #1 is really good. That wooded spiciness is tamed well by the sweet chocolate coating as great flavors mingle and dance with each chewy sip. This ECBP is a delicious expression at a great price point. Anxious to compare batch #1 with newly released batch #2 at 137.0 prf. Can batch two actually be better than #1? Tough act to follow IMHO.

I'm with you HP. I really enjoy the lone bottle I was lucky enough to get, but it's REALLY WOODY. Probably the woodiest bourbon I've ever had.

Edit: Don't confuse woody with sooty like what you get in W12. I can't stand sooty bourbon. It's like someone stuck some charcoal in there.

Edited by smknjoe

Yep, it is woody and I'm generally not a fan of such whiskies but with ECBP it works very well with the other flavors balancing out that big oak. Oh, and that color. The deep mahogany is really rich and appealing. Just an all around great pour.

Ill be buying every bottle I see of batch 1 for the rest of my life.

I'll second this... I guess maybe I wasn't expecting too much from this when I finally purchased it (had left it on the shelf a bunch of times). But I love this pour. Until I start seeing some others I might try to keep it handy, but it's getting harder :grin:.

What did you all pay for yours? The guy at Toddy's I talked to on Friday said they had one bottle and that it had sold for $125, which was crazy. I saw one other bottle in Louisville at a far more reasonable $60. What's the typical pricepoint for this?

They had batch 1 fairly early in VA for $39. Being a controlled state can work to your advantage sometimes. I saw a bottle in DC yesterday though for $57.

No sh!t. Even at a slight price increase, I'd buy it all . . . at least until I had maybe 20.

Then I'd still buy every one I saw, but hope to flip a couple to cover my cost on the rest of my bunker :lol:

No sh!t. Even at a slight price increase, I'd buy it all . . . at least until I had maybe 20.

Then I'd still buy every one I saw, but hope to flip a couple to cover my cost on the rest of my bunker :lol:

Oh, oh. More competition. I better go get more now! :grin:

Strong statement, but I guess I ended up doing the same (bunker is 4 deep, 1 on deck). ;)

No one has a SBS assessment of the ECBP batch 1 and 2 yet? Looking forward to the comparisons. Once I get a B2, I'll cetainly post. As I mentioned before, Batch 1 at 134.2 prf will be tough to beat.

No one has a SBS assessment of the ECBP batch 1 and 2 yet? Looking forward to the comparisons. Once I get a B2, I'll cetainly post. As I mentioned before, Batch 1 at 134.2 prf will be tough to beat.

Ditto - I've been looking for ECBP (I'll gladly pick up any batch 1 I find :lol:), but am really curious about how B2 stacks up (ideally before I run across one in the wild!!)

Will be happy to report in as soon as I find a 137.

I would guess bourbon festival time before KY gets another allotment. The last was tiny. single bottles to most places and even the big box places didnt see more than a case. Yet pics from other states showing 10-15 bottles at a single store. A bit frustrating for everyone involved in the process. Im guessing gift shop sales are brisk.

I would guess bourbon festival time before KY gets another allotment. The last was tiny. single bottles to most places and even the big box places didnt see more than a case. Yet pics from other states showing 10-15 bottles at a single store. A bit frustrating for everyone involved in the process. Im guessing gift shop sales are brisk.

Is the gift shop version still the filtered kind or did they allocate some there finally?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.