Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

HighInTheMtns
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was all excited an hour ago walking into my local LS on shipment day. To my surprise there were 3 bottles of ECBP! After fosmith mentioned the new batch was coming that’s what I thought I had. I guess Michigan got the C917. I’m still extremely excited. I’ve been drinking this since it first came in the scene.

D76D977A-E637-40E7-9B54-23B2505ED518.jpeg

Picked up a bottle of C917 today as well. North Carolina has pretty good stock of ECBP but it's usually a couple months behind on the releases. Curious to compare B517 and C917.

• I like it 1

It's not just NC. I didn't see my first bottle of C917 until January, in SC.

• I like it 1

Some C917 showed up in NE Connecticut a few weeks ago.  Left several bottles on the shelf there but found one on Cape Cod yesterday.  Don't know if that's a second wave or the first showing, but it's around though not too plentiful.  I got a chance to sample it thanks to the generosity of a friend and thought it was terrific.  Glad to have a bottle!

-Mike

• I like it 1

5 minutes ago, scratchline said:

Some C917 showed up in NE Connecticut a few weeks ago.  Left several bottles on the shelf there but found one on Cape Cod yesterday.  Don't know if that's a second wave or the first showing, but it's around though not too plentiful.  I got a chance to sample it thanks to the generosity of a friend and thought it was terrific.  Glad to have a bottle!

-Mike

Absolutely! My LS only for 3 bottles so if given the chance everyone should pick a bottle up. I broke into it last night because I was excited and it didn’t disappoint. I agree with others that a little bit of water or an ice cube was perfect. Some people seemed to enjoy B517 as it won whiskey advocate bourbon of the year but C917 is equally as good IMO.

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, Adam777 said:

Absolutely! My LS only for 3 bottles so if given the chance everyone should pick a bottle up. I broke into it last night because I was excited and it didn’t disappoint. I agree with others that a little bit of water or an ice cube was perfect. Some people seemed to enjoy B517 as it won whiskey advocate bourbon of the year but C917 is equally as good IMO.

Exactly. B517 and C917 are splitting hairs when it comes to comparing them

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't seen much on the A118 batch yet.  I found one of these about a week ago.  First one I've had since the old bottle design.  I think it's pretty dang good.  Anyone else had one of these yet?

10 hours ago, Bourserker said:

Haven't seen much on the A118 batch yet.  I found one of these about a week ago.  First one I've had since the old bottle design.  I think it's pretty dang good.  Anyone else had one of these yet?

A118 hasn't showed up yet here in the Bay Area.  Found an online review yesterday. 

http://whiskeyenthusiasts.com/elijah-craig-barrel-proof-batch-a118/

They rate it a notch below the C917, which was my favorite of the 2017 batches.  Never tried any of the older ones...

• I like it 2

A118 has made it to Upstate SC. I got my first bottle of it last week. I was happy to see it at the $60 mark. $90-$100 is not uncommon around here even for non-B517 batches.  

A local LS got in a 3 pack of C917 a few weeks back.  Sold them, so they asked for another 3 ok.  Rep said good luck...  but they did get a trio on the next delivery...  of B517.  

I've got 2 bunkered, so I didn't bite.  Still one on the shelf a week later.

5 hours ago, gurgalunas said:

I've got 2 bunkered, so I didn't bite.  Still one on the shelf a week later.

Are you some kind of amateur or something? 2 is not nearly enough. Go get it! :)

• I like it 2

8 hours ago, flahute said:

Are you some kind of amateur or something? 2 is not nearly enough. Go get it! :)

Well, the 2 is only the B517.  3x A117 and a C917 bring the total up to 6 ECBP, plus a couple of store pick ECSmB and 2 handles of EC12.  The EC corner is kinda full, and damned if they don't keep releasing more!  :D

• I like it 2

On 3/22/2018 at 9:13 AM, gurgalunas said:

Well, the 2 is only the B517.  3x A117 and a C917 bring the total up to 6 ECBP, plus a couple of store pick ECSmB and 2 handles of EC12.  The EC corner is kinda full, and damned if they don't keep releasing more!  :D

But but but it's the world wide champion of whiskies!? :lol:

• I like it 2

20 minutes ago, CUfan99 said:

But but but it's the world wide champion of whiskies!? :lol:

On 3/22/2018 at 12:14 AM, flahute said:

Time to re-post this pic from last December of my ECBPs (and friends):

ECBPs.jpg

"From left to right (unopened):  EC12s, ECNAS (Wicked Oak Society pick), ECBP Batch #3, ECBP Batch #5, ECBP Batch #11, ECBP Batch #12, ECBP A117, ECBP B517 & ECBP C917.  I also have open bottles of ECNAS (Loch & K(e)y Society picks), ECBP Batch 6 (Hazmat), 8 & 10 around somewhere."

Have added a couple more since this pic was taken - another B517 (local LS) & C917 (from Twin Liquors in College Station, TX).  Haven't even seen an A118, tho'.    :(

Oh yeah, the ECBP Batch #8 hit the Big Blue (recycling) Bin since New Year's Day and I finished one (1) bottle of the Blanton's Gold in the interim, too.   :D

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 4

2 hours ago, GeeTen said:

ECBPs.jpg

"From left to right (unopened):  EC12s, ECNAS (Wicked Oak Society pick), ECBP Batch #3, ECBP Batch #5, ECBP Batch #11, ECBP Batch #12, ECBP A117, ECBP B517 & ECBP C917.  I also have open bottles of ECNAS (Loch & K(e)y Society picks), ECBP Batch 6 (Hazmat), 8 & 10 around somewhere."

Have added a couple more since this pic was taken - another B517 (local LS) & C917 (from Twin Liquors in College Station, TX).  Haven't even seen an A118, tho'.    :(

Oh yeah, the ECBP Batch #8 hit the Big Blue (recycling) Bin since New Year's Day and I finished one (1) bottle of the Blanton's Gold in the interim, too.   :D

Maybe 1 day you'll get a bottle of A118 like I have Gee! :lol:

• I like it 2

23 minutes ago, CUfan99 said:

Maybe 1 day you'll get a bottle of A118 like I have Gee! :lol:

Ouch!   :blink:

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, GeeTen said:

ECBPs.jpg

Damn dude! Party at Gee's house :lol:

• I like it 1

Well done Frank, but next time remember to line 'em up in front of a mirror.;)

Damn amateur's! :rolleyes:

On 3/21/2018 at 8:35 PM, fosmith said:

A118 hasn't showed up yet here in the Bay Area.  Found an online review yesterday. 

http://whiskeyenthusiasts.com/elijah-craig-barrel-proof-batch-a118/

They rate it a notch below the C917, which was my favorite of the 2017 batches.  Never tried any of the older ones...

I have 'em both, and agree with the whiskey enthusiast. They're both excellent. Thanks to this thread, I just poured some of the A118.

20180324_143520.jpg

• I like it 1

I am having the C917 for the first time right this moment, and it is markedly an oak bomb. I mean, this is not exactly news for EC, but this batch is something else. I am not sure I'm liking it as much as the earlier releases. Full disclosure: first time drinking out of the new-style bottle. Tried all batches 1 through 8.

I am having the C917 for the first time right this moment, and it is markedly an oak bomb. I mean, this is not exactly news for EC, but this batch is something else. I am not sure I'm liking it as much as the earlier releases. Full disclosure: first time drinking out of the new-style bottle. Tried all batches 1 through 8.

I usually drink mine from a glass rather than out of the bottle...[emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

I usually drink mine from a glass rather than out of the bottle...emoji6.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Amateurs... I don't leave home without my brown bag.

• I like it 1

Any advice to getting ECBP these days?

I used to have to call and call around and hope to have some one order some and they never knew what I was talking about.

Now they laugh at me and say good luck.

I'm out near Denver, CO

• 3 months later...

I just broke open the “B” batch 2018 and again it didn’t disappoint. Similar to C917 as it is a caramel bomb. Not as much oak comes through like A118. Doesn’t feel like 133.4 and is another solid ECBP.

image.jpg

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.