Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

HighInTheMtns
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Virginia seems to get a pretty good amount of it, but it usually gets snatched up in a few days after the delivery (if it makes it that long).

• 2 weeks later...

Here in Georgia the C918 made a brief appearance in October, early November and now the LS's are all stocked with B518. Was the distributor sitting on stocks of this?

7 hours ago, ondarocks said:

Here in Georgia the C918 made a brief appearance in October, early November and now the LS's are all stocked with B518. Was the distributor sitting on stocks of this?

The game of liquor distribution. 

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...
^^^^^ How did you get that picture of young Smokinjoe? ^^^^^

Don’t remember I snagged it searching for funny cigar pics one day.

• 3 weeks later...

I just picked up an A119 yesterday, pretty sure that makes 19 releases. 

7 minutes ago, Phil T said:

I just picked up an A119 yesterday, pretty sure that makes 19 releases

Have you opened and tried it yet? Curious as to what you think of it. I have been buying one per year for the last three years. With the higher proof I am inclined to grab the A batch this year.

Have you opened and tried it yet? Curious as to what you think of it. I have been buying one per year for the last three years. With the higher proof I am inclined to grab the A batch this year.

I’ve really enjoyed a couple pours from my A119.
  • I like it 1

Picked up two bottles of A119 recently. Currently have an A117 and B518 open so this batch is on deck. Think I prefer the B of those two but both are great. As I stated somewhere else this is fantastic age stated Barrel Proof bourbon at a great price in today’s market. I will be a constant buyer whenever my LS offers it. 

Edited by Bob_Loblaw
  • I like it 2

I’m really enjoying the A119. I find it perfectly balanced.  Not too oaky, cinnamon and vanilla comes out playing off each other, and perfect amount of spice. The caramel and brown sugar really shined through as well. The mouthfeel is great as usual with most ECBPs. I also like the fact that it’s the highest proof of the newer bottles and certainly doesn’t drink like that as it’s scary smooth for that proof. People, pick this one up. Cheers!

Opened my A119 today. After the first sip, I realized I need to find more.

Is this your first ECBP or do you really think this one is that much better than other batches?

7 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Is this your first ECBP or do you really think this one is that much better than other batches?

This is actually my first. Really just started getting into bourbon over the last 6 months or so. Do you think previous years were much better?

This is actually my first. Really just started getting into bourbon over the last 6 months or so. Do you think previous years were much better?

I think they are all good with only slight variations between batches. So, I wouldn’t focus on specific batches if I were you, but you probably should try to find other batches over time so you can compare for yourself. Several stores recently received store picks of EC small batch which are probably worth checking out if you haven’t tried some of those.
  • I like it 1

54 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

I think they are all good with only slight variations between batches. So, I wouldn’t focus on specific batches if I were you, but you probably should try to find other batches over time so you can compare for yourself. Several stores recently received store picks of EC small batch which are probably worth checking out if you haven’t tried some of those.

Thanks for the advice! I actually got a store pick EC small batch at Charlies on Whitten recently. I was able to sample in the store. You are giving great recommendations...please keep those coming! Haha

• I like it 1

I am not saying that batch variations for things like GTS and ECBP don’t exist. But if your source for such information is SB then I think the sum total of posts about it falls a bit into hyperbole. I could give a rat’s ass on batch. They are all very good. Just pass the bottle. ;)
  • I like it 1

5 hours ago, BigRich said:

I am not saying that batch variations for things like GTS and ECBP don’t exist. But if your source for such information is SB then I think the sum total of posts about it falls a bit into hyperbole. I could give a rat’s ass on batch. They are all very good. Just pass the bottle. ;)

Agree that I hadn't had a batch yet where I thought "Wow - who spit in the vatting tank here?"  But I gotta wonder what they did differently on that first retail batch release.  That one was just insanely delicious, and the darkest bourbon I've seen to date.  So if anyone has any of those laying around, and are keen to try the new batches instead - let me know and we'll work out a trade ;)  

• I like it 1

23 minutes ago, Paddy said:

^^^^AOTOH, the first batch of Stagg Jr. was pretty much 'hell on wheels'!  :0

I know that was the rep that first batch got but with a little experimentation with a few drops of water I always found it to be quite good. 

• I like it 3

^^^^ I don’t disagree,

I think (for me) it was simply palate shock, as I’d never had to tame a GTS prior to sipping.  

IMO, that batch demanded water.

• I like it 1

• 3 months later...

I've lost track, what is the last batch letter/number? Thanks!

3 hours ago, Phil T said:

B519 was just recently released (actually hit VA this week).  This is the 20th release (first 12 on the old bottle and now 8 in the new bottle with batch names).

7 hours ago, Phil T said:

Mar-2013

A313

134.2 Proof

Jul-2013

B713

137.0 Proof

Sep-2013

C913

133.2 Proof

Mar-2014

A314

132.4 Proof

May-2014

B514

134.8 Proof

Sep-2014

C914

140.2 Proof

Feb-2015

A215

128.0 Proof

May-2015

B515

139.8 Proof

Sep-2015

C915

135.6 Proof

Jan-2016

A116

138.8 Proof

May-2016

B516

139.4 Proof

Sep-2016

C916

136.0 Proof

13 (New Bottle)

Jan-2017

A117

127.0 Proof

May-2017

B517

124.2 Proof

Sep-2017

C917

131.0 Proof

Jan-2018

A118

130.6 Proof

May-2018

B518

133.4 Proof

Sep-2018

C918

131.4 Proof

Jan-2019

A119

135.2 Proof

May-2019

B519

122.2 Proof

• I like it 5

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.