Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

HighInTheMtns
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've always wondered, did they increase production with the introduction of the new bottle style?  Seems like it became more available from A117 on.  Anyway, that's the first one I was able to acquire at retail...

3 hours ago, fosmith said:

I've always wondered, did they increase production with the introduction of the new bottle style?  Seems like it became more available from A117 on.  Anyway, that's the first one I was able to acquire at retail...

I believe that was part of the rationale for cutting the age statement on the Small Batch. To have more stock for the Barrel Poof. Either way, I agree supply is up. 

• I like it 1

Just picked up 2 bottles of B519. My store didn't get the A119 batch, really wanting one of those. They went from C918 to B519. The 122.2 proof is interesting. Looking forward to this one.

On 12/10/2018 at 3:12 PM, jeffrey r said:

Seemingly not much limited or allocated hits the shelves here in NJ anymore, but we sure are knee-deep in ECBP.  I passed up probably 10 more bottles on the shelf the past week or two at $60-$80.  Heck, it's a good situation, and I hope more people are picking it up and giving it a go.  It certainly sits long enough now for random people to have a shot at picking up some bottles just passing through, and not on the prowl like us enthusiasts.

Agreed it's been so good here for long enough that I hadn't bought one since 2017 aside from a couple of last year's B batch which were priced at $55, a deal so good I couldn't pass. 

****For some reason when I went to visit the latest post this older post is what loaded, I'll leave this here to remind myself to pay better attention to the dates ;) 

Edited by kevinbrink

NJ is stocked. I can get ECBP at $55 on pretty much any day. It is truly the best deal in bourbon right now. 

• I like it 7

On 6/26/2019 at 12:26 PM, KyleCBreese said:

NJ is stocked. I can get ECBP at $55 on pretty much any day. It is truly the best deal in bourbon right now. 

Dang!  Not the case here in No. Cal.  Have to hunt or pay $70+.

Oregon had them stacked deep when I was there in March.  Roadtrip!!

• 4 weeks later...

picked up a case last week.  Initial impressions are that, again, this is a very good bourbon.  Glad I put a couple in the bunker.

On 6/25/2019 at 11:40 AM, Stump1998 said:

Just picked up 2 bottles of B519. My store didn't get the A119 batch, really wanting one of those. They went from C918 to B519. The 122.2 proof is interesting. Looking forward to this one.

While on a trip to Oregon I brought home two bottles of the A119 priced at 60 & no tax. whoohoo

I'd say the A119 is one of the better batches going back to my last favorite the 139.4 proof old bottle. (tho all the ECBP has been from very good to excellent)

IME, Oregon was a great place to pick up a number of unique bottles at a fair price. 

I bought an ECBP for $60 there back in March.  Looking forward to another trip in August...

Plus, cannabis shops every other block.  I stopped in as many as I could, being a wide-eyed Yankee tourist.  We were not in in Kansas anymore, Toto. 

On 7/22/2019 at 4:59 PM, Guss West said:

IME, Oregon was a great place to pick up a number of unique bottles at a fair price. 

I bought an ECBP for $60 there back in March.  Looking forward to another trip in August...

Plus, cannabis shops every other block.  I stopped in as many as I could, being a wide-eyed Yankee tourist.  We were not in in Kansas anymore, Toto. 

Beware, a lot of these legal strains are barrel proof in their own right. 

Agree with @fosmith that ECBP is rather easily found here in NorCal but usually marked up to $65-75 range. I don’t think the liquor stores know quite what do with it yet...

Edited by oakland_traders

• 3 months later...
On 11/4/2019 at 5:19 PM, afmadd said:

Any thoughts on the c919?

Haven't seen it here in Calif. but Mash and Drum did a blind SBS o all three 2019 batches and C919 was the clear winner. 

• I like it 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hhhhmmmm.  Yesterday (or maybe it was this morning.  Time sure flies.:o), I posted about picking up one EC BP B519.  Maybe it was on the "What . . . buy today?" thread.  WHATEVER!

Just had some of this neat and then some more with various amounts of water (in the form of ice chips whose melted volume I know from previous, admittedly anal, experimentation while watching college football that I don't care about).  The proofs at which I sipped ran from 122.2 (neat) down to about 94 (which is where the "regular" EC is sold) and then on down to about 90.

Suffice to say, I was surprised to find that the taste I liked best, and it WAS a great taste, was at or just above 94.  I found that fascinating.  I usually pass EC at 94 as I find it too woody/sooty (well, maybe not too sooty as I DO like the old OE 7 yr 101 which tastes/smells like - or at least reminds me of - mushrooms and moldy leaves in the Fall to me YUM!!).  I guess my palate got acclimated to the 94 by starting at the 122 and working down.

What does this tell me?  Watch for EC/ECBP on sale and keep a bottle or two around for th occasional sipper when I can't figure out what else to taste.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 2

^^^^My sweet spot (with this batch) is two freezer cubes dropped into a 3 oz pour (give or take).

After a couple of these, it no longer matters how it's drank (which is often neat)!  ;)

• 2 months later...
On 11/21/2019 at 6:49 PM, Paddy said:

^^^^My sweet spot (with this batch) is two freezer cubes dropped into a 3 oz pour (give or take).

After a couple of these, it no longer matters how it's drank (which is often neat)!  ;)

I have yet to see C919 in Georgia.

2 hours ago, ondarocks said:

None so far in Michigan either....?

13 hours ago, ondarocks said:

ECBP C919 just showed up yesterday in Beantown - $69.99 OTD, tho'.   I think I still have a couple of C919s floating around in NH from last fall for a lot less "cheese" - at least I HOPE I do.   ?

Edited by GeeTen

I picked up a B519 earlier in the month for $62.99.  At the time, my new liquor monger indicated that he expected a shipment of C919 soon.  I checked with him and he said he received 18 bottles recently only to sell out the same day.  He doesn't put them on the shelf so you have to ask.  I suspect he may set aside a few bottles for friends, distributors, and maybe, even himself, which is fine.  However, that still leaves a lot of people coming in and asking.

I went back to the store and they had received more of the C919.  It was $62.99.  This isn't the most I have paid for a bottle but it seems to be the new price at this store.  I spoke with the liquor manager and he feels it is comparable to A119 which was significantly better than B519.  We both agree on that assessment.  He said he runs through it as quickly as it comes in.

I will open it at some point and compare for myself.  It is difficult to pass on a 12 year high quality barrel proof bourbon for less than $70.  I like diversity and I can buy 3 WT101s for the same price but this is a good one to have in the bunker.  

12 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I went back to the store and they had received more of the C919.  It was $62.99.  This isn't the most I have paid for a bottle but it seems to be the new price at this store.  I spoke with the liquor manager and he feels it is comparable to A119 which was significantly better than B519.  We both agree on that assessment.  He said he runs through it as quickly as it comes in.

I will open it at some point and compare for myself.  It is difficult to pass on a 12 year high quality barrel proof bourbon for less than $70.  I like diversity and I can buy 3 WT101s for the same price but this is a good one to have in the bunker.  

At least in Calif,, retail is $60 and a lot of stores charge $70 so you're not getting a bad deal.  Heck, Booker's (at half the age) is more than that now... 

• I like it 2

On 1/30/2020 at 8:19 PM, Richnimrod said:

None so far in Michigan either....?

Hey Rich, check your local. Looks like Michigan just got the C919. Great batch. I scored some in Ohio and just picked up A120. I’ll let everyone know my thoughts on the “A” batch.

• I like it 4

22 hours ago, Adam777 said:

Hey Rich, check your local. Looks like Michigan just got the C919. Great batch. I scored some in Ohio and just picked up A120. I’ll let everyone know my thoughts on the “A” batch.

Would like to hear how the 120 is.  Virginia just got a bunch more of C919 on the shelves - maybe clearing the way for the new batch?  

Virginia did indeed get the A120 today.

Also, an updated list:

Release

Date

Batch

Proof

Mar-2013

A313

134.2 Proof

Jul-2013

B713

137.0 Proof

Sep-2013

C913

133.2 Proof

Mar-2014

A314

132.4 Proof

May-2014

B514

134.8 Proof

Sep-2014

C914

140.2 Proof

Feb-2015

A215

128.0 Proof

May-2015

B515

139.8 Proof

Sep-2015

C915

135.6 Proof

Jan-2016

A116

138.8 Proof

May-2016

B516

139.4 Proof

Sep-2016

C916

136.0 Proof

13 (New Bottle)

Jan-2017

A117

127.0 Proof

May-2017

B517

124.2 Proof

Sep-2017

C917

131.0 Proof

Jan-2018

A118

130.6 Proof

May-2018

B518

133.4 Proof

Sep-2018

C918

131.4 Proof

Jan-2019

A119

135.2 Proof

May-2019

B519

122.2 Proof

Sep-2019

C919

136.8 Proof

Jan-2020

A120

136.6 Proof

Edited by Jazz June
Can't seem to get large blank space out of post
  • I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.