Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

HighInTheMtns
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Although to be honest I don’t NEED the C920 either, even if reviews are better.

Not that it has stopped me before!

Although I am getting better about that. 

Or so I tell myself...

I was going to say, most people here don't NEED more bourbon. However, I don't think any of us could look at ourselves in the mirror if we didn't do our part to keep the bourbon economy flowing in this country. I for one, look to purchase my fair share of C920 when it hits selves here in NH and will most likely add to my B520 collection tomorrow.

• I like it 1

Is there a consensus on the best batches up to now? Sorry if this topic has been covered, if so ignore me and I'll do some more digging on the forums!

Edited by shuttlenote

Just saw today that Fred Minnick had ECBP Batch A117 as his #11 best bourbon on the century.  I was stunned as I remember the general opinion back in 2017 being that it was the worst of all ECBP batches to that date.

36 minutes ago, JoeTerp said:

Just saw today that Fred Minnick had ECBP Batch A117 as his #11 best bourbon on the century.  I was stunned as I remember the general opinion back in 2017 being that it was the worst of all ECBP batches to that date.

But Fred’s never wrong is he? ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

• 4 months later...

Batch A121 is now out.

123.6 proof... so if memory serves correctly, this one's at a noticeably lower proof point that most of the previous A batches.

On 9/28/2020 at 8:51 PM, JoeTerp said:

When this came out, the thought was that it was a massive step down from the old bottles (batch 1-12).  I even remember batch B517 taking a lot of the spotlight as the best of the new batches..

• I like it 1

On 2/5/2021 at 11:17 AM, k-train said:

Batch A121 is now out.

123.6 proof... so if memory serves correctly, this one's at a noticeably lower proof point that most of the previous A batches.

from my records this makes it 24/25 in terms of prooc

On 9/28/2020 at 7:51 PM, JoeTerp said:

We should all be thankful it's not something that is still current.  I should still have my one and only A117 somewhere in my bunker.... someday I'll get to it.

Not that it matters to me, but I noticed PVW15 jumped (increased) another $500-900) on secondary after he voted this past years release so highly. 🙄

10 hours ago, 0895 said:

We should all be thankful it's not something that is still current.  I should still have my one and only A117 somewhere in my bunker.... someday I'll get to it.

Not that it matters to me, but I noticed PVW15 jumped (increased) another $500-900) on secondary after he voted this past years release so highly. 🙄

Let's hope that he doesn't start raving about WTRB.....

• I like it 2

A117 was my least favorite batch of all ECBP I've ever tried.  I think I have a couple in the bunker because I didn't want to drink them after trying one. Yeah, yeah..I know I bought a few without trying first because they were the first of the new bottle type.

I bought and opened a bottle of A121, and so far I really like it. Of course, my preference has been the lower proofs, B519 and B520 over the past 2 years. This may end up being the best of those 3 for me

Edited by yobber76
  • I like it 2

The store near me has received 1 case each of the past 3 weeks. I missed out the first 2 weeks, but was able to snag the last bottle from the most recent drop. Haven't had a chance to dive in yet, but hoping to get into it tonight or tomorrow.

Edited by k-train

i recall being disappointed by A117, didnt think it stood up to the batch before, which was the last of the old bottle style. i still have a couple bunkered away. i remember buying 3 because it was still 45-50 bux then.

3 hours ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

i remember buying 3 because it was still 45-50 bux then.

I can't say I've ever been disappointed by an ECBP batch. Some are definitely better than others but all (to me) are a cut above the majority of what's on the market right now. However..........I absolutely miss the days when they cost 45-50 dollars. I put away quite a few then and haven't dipped into that stock because plenty of the newer/current batches are good enough to me to preserve the older ones.

• I like it 7

I'm down to only a few B517 left, so put out the feelers for a box of the A121 batch. 

Fingers crossed!  

• I like it 1

I’m very curious to see what others says about A121 once it’s out there a little more.

So far, it’s reminds me a lot of what I remember OF1920 tasting like. It’s been a few months since I had any OF1920, but I might need to pick up a bottle & do a SBS with the A121.

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2021 at 12:43 PM, k-train said:

I’m very curious to see what others says about A121 once it’s out there a little more.

So far, it’s reminds me a lot of what I remember OF1920 tasting like. It’s been a few months since I had any OF1920, but I might need to pick up a bottle & do a SBS with the A121.

I picked up my first A121 yesterday, and I thoroughly enjoyed the neck pour.   I did a quick SBS with the C batch from 2020 and liked the A121 better.   They are both great, but this newest batch is a real keeper.   Might try to squirrel a few away in the bunker, but they are getting harder and harder to find.

• I like it 4

• 1 month later...
On 2/18/2021 at 11:09 PM, flahute said:

I can't say I've ever been disappointed by an ECBP batch. Some are definitely better than others but all (to me) are a cut above the majority of what's on the market right now. However..........I absolutely miss the days when they cost 45-50 dollars. I put away quite a few then and haven't dipped into that stock because plenty of the newer/current batches are good enough to me to preserve the older ones.

I wish I would have been keeping up with release batches back then but a few years back, I bought a bottle that was not up to snuff with the bar and restaurant pours that I had. My 1st purchase was a big step down from my single purchase pours. It was still a step up when mixing with a bit of honey & lemon (what is served when neighbors show up) but not quite the ballpark for my neat pour. Sadly, it was the last bottle of ECBP purchased. But I still enjoy pours when I am out and about. I have not happened upon a 520, so I look to SB to show me the way. 121 doesn't seem to be it...

• 3 weeks later...

Elijahcraig.com now has B521 listed, and is showing it as 118.2 proof... which I'm pretty sure makes it the lowest proof yet.

17 hours ago, k-train said:

Elijahcraig.com now has B521 listed, and is showing it as 118.2 proof... which I'm pretty sure makes it the lowest proof yet.

Here come's something different!   Now I am excited to snag one.

• I like it 2

I saw a A118 on the shelf the other day. You think it loses any life being on a store shelf for 3 years?

Edited by LvR Mike
Picture is not loading

45 minutes ago, LvR Mike said:

I saw a A118 on the shelf the other day. You think it loses any life being on a store shelf for 3 years?

No. There are people on here that have bunkers with stuff from the 60's, 70's, and 80's. If it's stored out of sunlight it will be fine for many years. 

Edited by JCwhammie
  • I like it 2

On 2/18/2021 at 11:09 PM, flahute said:

I can't say I've ever been disappointed by an ECBP batch. Some are definitely better than others but all (to me) are a cut above the majority of what's on the market right now.

This. 

One of the most consistent and delicious profiles out there.  And when not marked up one of the best values.  I never had an older pirate style bottle, but I have gotten every release since 2017 and numerous duplicates.  I am well stocked with 3-4 different batches open at any given time and very happy about it.

Edited by Bob_Loblaw
  • I like it 1

7 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

older pirate style bottle

I'm obviously out of it, because although I have a lot of the older bottle styles I don't think I've ever heard the term "pirate" style bottle.  What's up with that?

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, Kepler said:

I'm obviously out of it, because although I have a lot of the older bottle styles I don't think I've ever heard the term "pirate" style bottle.  What's up with that?

Never heard that either - maybe Ben's sportin' an eyepatch?  Arrrgh, matey!   ☠️

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.