Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

HighInTheMtns
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was a #1 fanboi of ECBP, the bottle of boom; until the recent price hike to $80, the poor batch quality this year, and the ridiculous PR-scandal with the workers union.  

Turns out I have over a case of these bunkered; about 8 are batch B517!  

• I like it 2

On 2/10/2022 at 4:31 PM, Guss West said:

I was a #1 fanboi of ECBP, the bottle of boom; until the recent price hike to $80, the poor batch quality this year, and the ridiculous PR-scandal with the workers union.  

Turns out I have over a case of these bunkered; about 8 are batch B517!  

I knew prices were still going up for this, but $80 a bottle is a little pricey. This is why I continue to buy a case at a time when it is released here at $59.99 a bottle. If the price was $80, then I would just grab one and call it a day. At some point, distilleries are going to price themselves out of the market. Unfortunately, that day is still a long ways off as new consumers are still willing to pay secondary prices for various expressions.

• I like it 2

15 hours ago, Clueby said:

The price at the distillery is now $79.99. 😪

Sounds like they're taking a page from Booker's playbook... 

• I like it 2

• 1 month later...

I wonder if there will be more interest this year.  The reviews I have seen pretty much rave about A122.  Haven't seen it near me yer.

I realized I had not had any ECBP for a while so last night I had a couple of glasses of C919.   I forgot how delicious ECBP can be. 

• I like it 3

On 2/13/2022 at 11:21 PM, Clueby said:

The price at the distillery is now $79.99. 😪

I’m not sure if it is the case here, but typically the distillery price is higher than the retail MSRP. Virginia ABC still has MSRP at $70. At that price I think it is still reasonable. Most comparable products are in the $55-60 range but NAS. The 12 year age statement justifies a bump to me.

• I like it 1

I used to pick up a bottle or two every release.  However, over the past few years, local retailers have either been stashing for the big timers or  for "limited" release lotteries so I haven't seen any.  In the grand scheme of things, assuming the quality remains high, $80 for a 12-year old barrel strength Heaven Hill bourbon might be underpriced in today's market.  I am disappointed in the price increase but, at the same time, I am used to not buying every release anymore.

• I like it 2

24 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

$80 for a 12-year old barrel strength Heaven Hill bourbon might be underpriced in today's market.

Especially true in a world of mediocre $60+ bourbons.

• I like it 1

I’m more excited about the ECBP SP sprouting up everywhere. Have a 8 year pick that is absolutely delicious. Dark fruit, baking spice, sweet oak with a finish that goes on for days. Haven’t been this excited since C917.

• I like it 2

I might even hope that this new availability of younger ECBP could drive prices down.  

Not bloody likely!  

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...

Did the release notes come out for B522 already and I have just been too busy and miss it, or is this release a little later this year? Any information would be appreciated. Thank you!

Fred Minnick posted a clip on IG of him opening a package with B522 in it so I guess it is "out" but that's all I know.  Many of my local stores still haven't gotten A122.

is there a consensus on the A122 yet? passed on one the other day, wondering if i should go get it.

• I like it 1

FWIW, the few reviews I have heard trend toward it being a significant improvement over 2021's poorly-received offerings. 

4 hours ago, steven s said:

is there a consensus on the A122 yet? passed on one the other day, wondering if i should go get it.

Here's a review from a trusted source.

https://malt-review.com/2022/04/29/elijah-craig-barrel-proof-batch-a122/

Full disclosure - the author is a friend of mine. I am not trying to promote their website. Their reviews are good and they use the entire 10 point scale so in this case the 7/10 rating for A122 is very high for this crew.

Also, I picked a single barrel of ECBP with him last year so I know that his palate and mine are aligned.

• I like it 4

5 hours ago, flahute said:

Full disclosure - the author is a friend of mine. I am not trying to promote their website. Their reviews are good and they use the entire 10 point scale so in this case the 7/10 rating for A122 is very high for this crew.

Also, I picked a single barrel of ECBP with him last year so I know that his palate and mine are aligned.

Nice review.  Interesting read.

21 hours ago, flahute said:

Well written review.  Thanks for posting it. 

I generally agree with his assessment that B521 was not very good, but I didn't think it was as bad as he did.  In fact, it opened up nicely after the bottle went below the shoulder and became a quite pleasant pour but still not up to ECBP standards.  His description more closely matches my initial impression of C921, which I thought at first was truly bad.  But that one too, opened up quite nicely and the last half of the bottle was quite good - better than B521 to me. 

That said and back on topic, I've also seen several YouTube reviews of A122 and they have been consistently positive with the conclusion that ECBP is back on track.  Based on that, I picked up two bottles yesterday.  I too worry that ECBP will follow the path of Booker's and get younger, lower in quality and more expensive. 

• I like it 2

While I am not a fan of the EC BP bottles I have tried in the past, store picks have been popping up around town and a store near me let me try theirs before I purchased.  I can say it drank way below its 130.1 proof, and was really good.  Good enough for me to buy one.  Still leery of purchasing any others without trying them beforehand tho.

• I like it 2

7 hours ago, Radioyada said:

While I am not a fan of the EC BP bottles I have tried in the past, store picks have been popping up around town and a store near me let me try theirs before I purchased.  I can say it drank way below its 130.1 proof, and was really good.  Good enough for me to buy one.  Still leery of purchasing any others without trying them beforehand tho.

My experience with recent heaven hill and with anybody's picks is hit or miss.  Each can be phenom or junk.  The much touted ECBP A122 I enjoy way more than other recent iterations and most store pics.  I do have a "grenade" said to be great, need to pop that sucka.  

If you have the luxury, definitely sample before investing in another bottle or case

in my neck, see it, grab fast

• I like it 3

My buddy and I were just talking about that, a lot of the picks are really expensive and/or are bundled.  And their quality is a bit uneven.  We are both big ECBP fans but are backing off a bit.

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, IamMatt said:

My buddy and I were just talking about that, a lot of the picks are really expensive and/or are bundled.  And their quality is a bit uneven.  We are both big ECBP fans but are backing off a bit.

No scientific evidence, but it seems to me that HH quality is the most inconsistent of the major Kentucky distillers.

• I like it 2

19 hours ago, IamMatt said:

Agreed.  100%     I'm not a huge fan, but I like it, at MSRP

I have a couple  bottles left, (C919 I think), and when they're gone, I doubt that I'll buy another.    

ECBP B522 has landed in the People's Republic of Massachusetts via the generosity of our friends from the "Live Free or Die" state!  $60/ea OTD.  🥰

Will report back Thursday morning.   😉

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 3

59 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

ECBP B522 has landed in the People's Republic of Massachusetts via the generosity of our friends from the "Live Free or Die" state!  $60/ea OTD.  🥰

Will report back Thursday morning.   😉

Thursday morning? 🤨 I’m not sure that I………….. Uhhhh, never mind. I learned my lesson. I know better than to ask. :unsure:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

On 5/22/2022 at 7:54 AM, Skinsfan1311 said:

...I have a couple  bottles left, (C919 I think), and when they're gone, I doubt that I'll buy another.    

have you tried the recent A122?  It's pretty good.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.