Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

HighInTheMtns
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 5/22/2022 at 12:35 AM, Kepler said:

No scientific evidence, but it seems to me that HH quality is the most inconsistent of the major Kentucky distillers.

I'll agree.  The old EC18 and Mckenna were consitent.  But back then Evan Williams BIB single barrel was not.  Lately I find EW more consistent, and basic blended Elijah, but others like ECBP not so.  

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, B.B. Babington said:

have you tried the recent A122?  It's pretty good.

Nope, but if I see one, reasonably priced, I'll grab it.

• I like it 1

Has there been any opinions on what the barrel entry proof (from 125) has been lowered to, for all of 2021 batches (and so far, 2022) to hover around 120 ABV ?

If Maker's Mark barrel entry proof is 110 and their average Cask Strength (after 6+ yrs. of aging) is 110ish ABV.  Would 110 (with 12 yrs. of aging) be a good guess as to what ECBP has cut their B.E.P. to, starting with the 2021 releases ?

&

Considering this a (debatable) mistake made 13 yrs. ago, how long for them to get back to 125 B.E.P. ?

Edited by LGC
  • I like it 1

It would be hard to use makers mark as an example for that. Because they rotate their barrels. Most (I think no other distillery’s) other distilleries do not rotate barrels. And that is why MM barrels do not fluctuate in proof very much. 

• I like it 2

21 hours ago, LGC said:

Has there been any opinions on what the barrel entry proof (from 125) has been lowered to, for all of 2021 batches (and so far, 2022) to hover around 120 ABV ?

If Maker's Mark barrel entry proof is 110 and their average Cask Strength (after 6+ yrs. of aging) is 110ish ABV.  Would 110 (with 12 yrs. of aging) be a good guess as to what ECBP has cut their B.E.P. to, starting with the 2021 releases ?

&

Considering this a (debatable) mistake made 13 yrs. ago, how long for them to get back to 125 B.E.P. ?

This is the first I've heard that HH has lowered the barrel entry proof.  I'm curious where did you get this information?  Other factors affect barrel proof besides BEP, most notably warehouse location.  Barrels on the lower floors gain less proof or even lose proof as they age.  The lower temperature and higher humidity near the ground floor inhibit evaporation of the water and encourage evaporation of the alcohol thus lowering the proof. 

• I like it 1

Purely speculation on my part (for a lower Barrel Entry Proof), vs using barrels from lower floors, to explain the lower ABV, for the last six releases. 

If the entirety of 2021 came from lower floors (than prior years) and the reviews were not the best.  Wouldn't it make sense to go back to what has been tried and true (an average 65% ABV) for 2022 ?

• I like it 1

who knows?  maybe it's global warming?  look at low barrel proof of heaven hill 27 year.  and not just a HH issue, BT's GTS proof trending mostly downward also.  yikes.  

• I like it 1

29 minutes ago, B.B. Babington said:

look at low barrel proof of heaven hill 27 year. 

That's because in order to get it to 27 years without tasting like a tannic mess you need to age it on the first or second floor in the middle where it's cool and humid which means the proof goes down over time instead of up.

• I like it 1

On 6/7/2022 at 6:21 AM, LGC said:

If the entirety of 2021 came from lower floors (than prior years) and the reviews were not the best.  Wouldn't it make sense to go back to what has been tried and true (an average 65% ABV) for 2022 ?

They don't target ABV. They target 12 yr old minimum barrels that taste good or that have a quality that can be blended well with other barrels. ECBP from years past likely had more barrels over the age of 12 than newer iterations. Those older barrels would likely have a higher ABV due to more evaporation from the extra years. Current iterations likely have little to no barrels over the age of 12 because HH has introduced new premium lines at higher ages that they can charge a lot more for.

Everyone right now (except Barton) is challenged to find enough barrels for their various lines and don't have the luxury of barrel choice that they used to have.

• I like it 8

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine picked up A122 last weekend, and was good enough to invite me over to open and enjoy it with him.  Very good stuff!  It will probably be the last of it I enjoy though.  He had to give $117 out the door for it.  

• I like it 1

23 hours ago, Mule Skinner said:

A friend of mine picked up A122 last weekend, and was good enough to invite me over to open and enjoy it with him.  Very good stuff!  It will probably be the last of it I enjoy though.  He had to give $117 out the door for it.  

Ouch!  And I thought I overpaid at $78 plus tax or about $85 OTD. 

13 hours ago, fosmith said:

Ouch!  And I thought I overpaid at $78 plus tax or about $85 OTD. 

I ended up getting a B522 for $72, but barely passed on it earlier in the day at $85.  I would have walked away for sure at $117.

• I like it 1

38 minutes ago, Cibsie said:

I ended up getting a B522 for $72, but barely passed on it earlier in the day at $85.  I would have walked away for sure at $117.

Thank goodness for my friends up north in the "Live Free or Die" state - as mentioned in an earlier reply, EC B522 for $60 OTD.  Yes, please!   🥳

• I like it 5

On 6/8/2022 at 4:18 PM, flahute said:

They don't target ABV. They target 12 yr old minimum barrels that taste good or that have a quality that can be blended well with other barrels. ECBP from years past likely had more barrels over the age of 12 than newer iterations. Those older barrels would likely have a higher ABV due to more evaporation from the extra years. Current iterations likely have little to no barrels over the age of 12 because HH has introduced new premium lines at higher ages that they can charge a lot more for.

Everyone right now (except Barton) is challenged to find enough barrels for their various lines and don't have the luxury of barrel choice that they used to have.

Thanks for posting this Steve. I’m a huge ECBP fan and suspected but didn’t know why all the proof monsters (ECBP Stagg, Stagg Jr. WLW, etc.) were all trending lower. I kinda figured it was a supply strain since we saw it across multiple houses and labels. On another note, Foursquare rums, where I’ve been spending a lot of my time, have been trending up in proof and age (and price). Cheers everyone!

• I like it 1

On 5/29/2022 at 8:31 PM, B.B. Babington said:

have you tried the recent A122?  It's pretty good.

Not yet.

If they charge $80.00, then it's not likely that I'll buy one, unless I try it first.  Even then, it better be really good, or it's still a pass. 

25 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Not yet.

If they charge $80.00, then it's not likely that I'll buy one, unless I try it first.  Even then, it better be really good, or it's still a pass. 

That's how much ECBP is at the distillery gift shop now.

I recently got an A122 for $69.99 plus tax. It's been $70 to $80 here since 2015 or  2016.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Not yet.

I get that.  I'd pay $80 because it fits my tastes.  But maybe not yours.  Would be good if you can try 1st if not willing to gamble.

Not everyone has same tastes.  A somewhat recent ECBP won lots of accolades from SB'ers.  I'd give $30 tops.  Just 'cause I like it doesn't mean you will.  For that matter, I'm accused of having bad taste 🤪

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, Charlutz said:

Thanks for posting this Steve. I’m a huge ECBP fan and suspected but didn’t know why all the proof monsters (ECBP Stagg, Stagg Jr. WLW, etc.) were all trending lower. I kinda figured it was a supply strain since we saw it across multiple houses and labels. On another note, Foursquare rums, where I’ve been spending a lot of my time, have been trending up in proof and age (and price). Cheers everyone!

Good to see you around in these parts again Charlutz.  Don't be a stranger!  🥃

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, Clueby said:

That's how much ECBP is at the distillery gift shop now.

I recently got an A122 for $69.99 plus tax. It's been $70 to $80 here since 2015 or  2016.

3 hours ago, B.B. Babington said:

I get that.  I'd pay $80 because it fits my tastes.  But maybe not yours.  Would be good if you can try 1st if not willing to gamble.

Not everyone has same tastes.  A somewhat recent ECBP won lots of accolades from SB'ers.  I'd give $30 tops.  Just 'cause I like it doesn't mean you will.  For that matter, I'm accused of having bad taste 🤪

Oh, absolutely!

You like what you like. 

I like, (but don't love),  some of the ECBP that I've tried.   I have a couple bottles left,(and have had them for a long time), but I doubt that I'll replace them when they're gone. 

I probably have more whiskey, (including barrel proofers), than I can drink in my lifetime🤔 so I'm very particular.  With the exception of the staples,  (WT101, OF100, OGD BiB, etc), I don't need to buy much, and I really, really have to like it to open up my wallet,(which is pretty dusty anyeay😅).  That, and it's also a matter of storage space. Mrs. Skinsfan is a bourbon and rye girl, but even she would draw the line at bottles all over the living room and kitchen😆.

That being said, if I try one that I love,  I would shell out the $$$ for it, including the ECBP.

On 6/23/2022 at 12:43 AM, steven s said:

which do you guys prefer: a122 or b522?

I'm doing side-by-side now, starting with b522.  the good thing is it's pretty good.  IMO, ECBP wasn't all that for number of years, but the a122 steps it up into the premium class.  flavor of b522 strong with pleasent sour notes.  some wood on the after.

just moved to the a122.  hotter up front.  greater finesse.  good after taste, maybe less wood than b522.  

which is better?  maybe I'll be able to tell ya but it's going to be long night with just these two. 

which should you buy?  both.  by the case.

• I like it 3

On 6/23/2022 at 12:43 AM, steven s said:

which do you guys prefer: a122 or b522?

well, after more "research" - for me I find a122 more refined and preferable.  but other folks might like b522 better.  wouldn't go wrong with purchase of either as both quite tasty.

yep, it's now 6:25 am.  takes dedication for proper study

• I like it 3

10 hours ago, B.B. Babington said:

As if!  At least where I live, it takes effort and luck to snag even one or two bottles of ECBP.  Gone are the days when it sat on the shelves.  I'm glad to hear your report on A122, though.  I did manage to get two bottles from two different stores.  But I did have to drive into SF to get them, which was a nightmare with traffic...

20 hours ago, B.B. Babington said:

Seconded. Fantastic whiskey if you can find at $70 or under. I seek out every batch.

Picked up the B522 but have not cracked it yet. Soon as I’d like to know if I should look for more. 

• I like it 2

• 2 weeks later...

I had some decisions to make regarding ECBP. I had the option to pick up an A122 and B522. I know some here say buy it by the case. I ended up taking home an 11 year store pick. Looking forward to seeing how this stacks up. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.