HighInTheMtns

Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

jeffrey r   
jeffrey r
On 7/24/2017 at 5:23 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

I mean the very first batch of ECBP that was released at 134.2 proof and that looked like a bottle of Cruzan Blackstrap rum. So dense you could barely see any light through it!

I still have one unopened bottle of OG ECBP batch 1 in the bunker.  I have a few other batches around, and a motherlode of batch 12 (136), so I have a good long while until I'll need to crack open the OG.  The first bottle I opened of batch 1 was quite the eye-opener back in the day.

Edited by jeffrey r

Kpiz   
Kpiz

My whiskey spreadsheet indicates I have some batch #1 tucked away as well. It really is insanely dark, as Bruce said. I remember thinking that it looks like Coca-Cola.

RWBadley   
RWBadley
22 hours ago, Kpiz said:

My whiskey spreadsheet indicates I have some batch #1 tucked away as well. It really is insanely dark, as Bruce said. I remember thinking that it looks like Coca-Cola.

That first batch is very, very tasty, very dark, and would go all cloudy with some water.

I think I still have a bottle of the first one somewhere, but have been enjoying batch 11 139.4 lately

hn4bourbon   
hn4bourbon

I was able to acquire a bottle of the A117 over a month ago. The first couple of pours were not memorable. I'll revisit this sbs with batch 2 when I get home from summer travel. I have been lucky to have had the opportunity to enjoy a few bottles of batch 1 and bunkered a few batch 2. I have enjoyed other batches as well. 

hn4bourbon   
hn4bourbon

I was lucky enough to find a bottle of B517 on the shelf a few days ago. Finally got to do a brief SBS with A117 last night. Overall, I like both batches for their qualities. The A117 has opened up some since the last time I've tried it.  The A117 had a livelier nose and I think I picked up some cherry(?) notes in addition to a lighter usual ECBP nose whereas the B517 was more muted (could potentially open up over time) version of the usual sweet, woody nose of ECBP. I thought B517 tasted more like a familiar, good ECBP batch whereas the A117 was a little lighter, sharper, not as sweet, and a bit of that astringent wood flavor coming through. I'm not saying the A117 is bad, it had a character of its own and I enjoyed it but if you are looking for the familiar ECBP nose and flavor, I would say that the B517 has that and just based on memory of the different batches I've tried, it would fall into the category of one of the better batches (expressed in this thread).

I have not tried these SBSBS with a batch 2 yet. I will do that soon. I'm usually not great at describing the nose and flavors. So, read and use at your own risk:)

The Black Tot   
The Black Tot

It seems as though ECBP has finally cranked out enough bottles that the novelty is wearing off. They now seem to be found with a bit of effort around town in a lot of markets where they were just a pipe dream before.

This is good news.

Kpiz   
Kpiz
10 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

It seems as though ECBP has finally cranked out enough bottles that the novelty is wearing off. They now seem to be found with a bit of effort around town in a lot of markets where they were just a pipe dream before.

This is good news.

This is happening near me as well. I snagged another batch 12 last night while picking up some rum. Might be time to stop loading the bunker...

The relative ease of finding it may also be due to the price creeping up over the past few years, at least here in the Bay Area. K&L sells it for $59.99 but besides that the lowest I've seen it priced recently is $67, and most are now at $69.99 or above.

Jackinbox   
Jackinbox
19 hours ago, Kpiz said:

This is happening near me as well. I snagged another batch 12 last night while picking up some rum. Might be time to stop loading the bunker...

The relative ease of finding it may also be due to the price creeping up over the past few years, at least here in the Bay Area. K&L sells it for $59.99 but besides that the lowest I've seen it priced recently is $67, and most are now at $69.99 or above.

True.  I heard an interview with the Master Distiller (I can't remember his name) on a podcast not too long ago.  One of the upsides to removing the AS from EC12 was that it was going to free up a lot more for ECBP.  

If it becomes less scarce, it'll be interesting to see how long before people stop bunkering them.  5 years from now, it might be as common as WTRB, MMCS, Booker's, and FRPS.  Of course, it'll still older whiskey than any of those.  

Mako254   
Mako254
1 hour ago, Jackinbox said:

True.  I heard an interview with the Master Distiller (I can't remember his name) on a podcast not too long ago.  One of the upsides to removing the AS from EC12 was that it was going to free up a lot more for ECBP.  

If it becomes less scarce, it'll be interesting to see how long before people stop bunkering them.  5 years from now, it might be as common as WTRB, MMCS, Booker's, and FRPS.  Of course, it'll still older whiskey than any of those.  

Also allows for the 18 and 23 to come back I think.  I was able to find a 1.5L of EC 12 that I bunkered. I like the small batch so far and really like the barrel proof B517 That i Have. 

The Black Tot   
The Black Tot
On 8/17/2017 at 11:09 AM, Jackinbox said:

Of course, it'll still older whiskey than any of those.  

For now...

Louisiana   
Louisiana

The reason I bunkered it for several years is because it was always available at $49-$54 per bottle. I had the opportunity to buy a bottle in Jackson Hole, Wyoming back in June. It was the B517 bottle at $58 no tax. It was still good, but different to me than previous versions. Was only there for 8 days & couldn't SBS with other versions. Still a very good value, but I stop putting any up when they changed the bottle shape!

Cheers,

Jeff

ondarocks   
ondarocks

What is the release date for the 3rd quarter? C917, I presume?

JoeTerp   
JoeTerp
15 hours ago, ondarocks said:

What is the release date for the 3rd quarter? C917, I presume?

possibly, but I'm not sure it's exactly every 4 months.  There does tend to be 3-4 per year, so I would expect a September or October release for the next one.