A big year for Irish Whiskey?

tanstaafl2
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Lots of exciting news in 2013 for fans of Irish Whiskey in these related articles on the Whiskey Advocate blog and Whiskyconnosr blog. I'm already a fan of The irishman line (although curious about a possible renaming) and would love to try some of the Teeling offerings described in these articles.

The big question is will we see any of it on this side of the pond? Unfortunately I expect we won't, at least not anytime soon. But if someone happens to see them available in the States I would love to know about it!

Edited by tanstaafl2

I just brought home my annual bottle of Irish. Tulimor Dew this year. I'll toast the green saint, and use it to break my bourbon habit once in a while.

• 2 weeks later...

Greenore single grain small batch....almost an Irish bourbon....rather it is similar to a "straight corn whiskey".

Very unusual for an Irish whiskey.

100% corn grain - first fill bourbon barrel aged - column still production.

http://www.greenorewhiskey.com/whiskey.aspx

8 years old but only 40% abv.

Ralfiy will be reviewing it next.

I have not had this but online reviews are favorable.

Binny's has it for 49.99......not too bad. "Gold Medal winner".

http://www.binnys.com/spirits/Greenore_8_Year_Old_Single_Grain_Irish_Whiskey_139271.html

Edited by Jono

Greenore single grain small batch....almost an Irish bourbon....rather it is similar to a "straight corn whiskey".

Very unusual for an Irish whiskey.

100% corn grain - first fill bourbon barrel aged - column still production.

http://www.greenorewhiskey.com/whiskey.aspx

8 years old but only 40% abv.

Ralfiy will be reviewing it next.

I have not had this but online reviews are favorable.

Binny's has it for 49.99......not too bad. "Gold Medal winner".

http://www.binnys.com/spirits/Greenore_8_Year_Old_Single_Grain_Irish_Whiskey_139271.html

Go for The Irishman this year, folks. At $25 it's a steal! Their single malt at $40 is also a winner but I'm happy with the original.

I had my first taste of Redbreast 12 right after the new year started. Never like an Irish whiskey before I tried it. It's hard for me to believe that there might be a better one out there. The Redbreast is just an outstanding pour.

I had my first taste of Redbreast 12 right after the new year started. Never like an Irish whiskey before I tried it. It's hard for me to believe that there might be a better one out there. The Redbreast is just an outstanding pour.

Try the Redbreast 12 cask strength, it'll change your religion! That being said though, it still ain't bourbon.

Try the Redbreast 12 cask strength, it'll change your religion! That being said though, it still ain't bourbon.
I would have to totally agree here,if the RB12 tripped your trigger the RBCS is a must.I don't know if I've ever had a more crisp and vibrant pour from any other Irish in the past,the addition of proof really brings it to a whole other level!Total Fruit Bomb!

Agreed. My brother gave me a bottle of that for my birthday, and it changed my mind about Irish whisky. It is a great pour.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Don't forget about the new Yellow Spot. A friend was kind enough to send me a sample earlier this year. Here are my formal thoughts:

Yellow Spot 12yr, 46%

Color: Straw yellow.

Nose: Vanilla icing and cake batter. A lovely whipped cream note with a whiff of powdered sugar. Very sweet. A floral undertone of wild flowers and orchids. An exquisite nose!

Taste: A wonderful, sweet, sugary entry that is very front palate. White icing, vanilla bean, and simple syrup. The sweet notes are all very forward. Mid-palate introduces some softer floral notes including jasmine and white peony tea. Warm honey notes play throughout.

Finish: Very soft with lingering sweetness. A touch of honeydew melon.

Rating: What a wonderful. fantastic dram. Lovely sweetness with delicious floral undertones. Delicate, well rounded and incredibly refined, this is one of the best Irish whiskies I've ever had. An absolute delight! I'm scoring this one a 94.

I would have to totally agree here,if the RB12 tripped your trigger the RBCS is a must.I don't know if I've ever had a more crisp and vibrant pour from any other Irish in the past,the addition of proof really brings it to a whole other level!Total Fruit Bomb!

Pity about the rapid price increase though on the Redbreast 12. It wasn't long ago that I was consistently buying the stuff in the upper $30's. Now it's $50+ pretty much everywhere I go around here. That's just enough of an increase to have me looking elsewhere on the shelf, though I still do fork out the dough for the occasional bottle.

In Minnesota we have 4 Irish Pubs that were owned by an Irishman and one of them, "The Local" in downtown Minneapolis near our ball stadiums sold more Jameson than any other bar in the world. They developed a simple drink called the "Big Ginger" with ginger ale, Jameson, and a little lemon and lime. It sold like crazy. Kieren, the owner than decided to get an independant distiller in Ireland to produce him a whisky. It came out two years ago and he uses it in his pubs (which he had to "sell" due to rules about owning a liquor brand and bars) The whisky is called 2 Gingers and is a decent 4 year old that can run with regular Jameson. It is only distributed in Minnesota and is bottled by the Phillips company in Princeton, MN

In Minnesota we have 4 Irish Pubs that were owned by an Irishman and one of them, "The Local" in downtown Minneapolis near our ball stadiums sold more Jameson than any other bar in the world. They developed a simple drink called the "Big Ginger" with ginger ale, Jameson, and a little lemon and lime. It sold like crazy. Kieren, the owner than decided to get an independant distiller in Ireland to produce him a whisky. It came out two years ago and he uses it in his pubs (which he had to "sell" due to rules about owning a liquor brand and bars) The whisky is called 2 Gingers and is a decent 4 year old that can run with regular Jameson. It is only distributed in Minnesota and is bottled by the Phillips company in Princeton, MN

Wherever I've traveled around one of the things I keep an eye out for are Irish Pubs. You fellows are fortunate.

Beam just bought the brand. According to http://www.startribune.com/business/182549301.html?refer=y this article, they'd like it position it to compete with Jameson. They may have a long way to go. I remember thinking when Beam bought Cooley, and said that they were going to quit selling bulk whisky there, what would become of 2 Gingers, which was sourced from Cooley. But I guess it all worked out.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.