Rye article in Mental Floss

callmeox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

There'a a one page article about rye whiskey in the March/April issue of Mental Floss magazine. It contains a couple anecdotes about George Washington and an interesting list of 5 ryes to try:

Ritt BiB

Sazerac Jr.

Whistle Pig

Lions Pride

McKenzie rye

Nice exposure for McKenzie

Their review:

"Hailing from New York, this gem smells like freshly baked bread with honey - it's as though Winnie the Pooh opened a distillery."

I know some soccer moms who would take umbrage against Winnie the Pooh being a whisky figure.

Geeze Tom, it was Martha Stewart lovin' on y'all last year, now Winnie the Pooh. You're keepin' good company! :D

Keeping with this, if Eeyore, Tigger, or Piglet had distilleries, what would they make??

PS- Tom, I promise to never call you Pooh. Ever.

They wouldn't make anything. Eeyore would be overwhelmed by the immensity of the task, Tigger would burn the place down trying to get a fire going under the still and Piglet would, well, be Piglet.

I read the article at work, and don't have it in front of me. I liked the article. One thing I wasn't sure of; isn't Whistle Pig distilled in Canada? Nothing wrong with that, but the article says from Vermont. I thought it was made in Canada, bottled in the US?

Shallow reporting, the company that imports the whisky from Canada is in the US and using the Vermont address sounds cooler.

I read the article at work, and don't have it in front of me. I liked the article. One thing I wasn't sure of; isn't Whistle Pig distilled in Canada? Nothing wrong with that, but the article says from Vermont. I thought it was made in Canada, bottled in the US?

Shallow reporting, the company that imports the whisky from Canada is in the US and using the Vermont address sounds cooler.

Well all of ours is made by me in Burdett, NY. Winnie and Martha just show up every now and then. Must be where he honey comes from.

Can't speak to more recent releases but that was certainly the case with the original releases (theorized to be Alberta Distillers, one of a few places known to have a plethora of 100% rye on hand). This is thought to be the same source as the original Jefferson's Rye as well.

I would think it likely that all WP is from the same source. WP is, or least was, bottled in Vermont.

Would seem to say more about the author of the article who didn't seem to do their homework. Shocking of course...

I don't believe there's been any activity taken in Vermont to actually product whisky, in fact the major players seem to have had a falling out amongst themselves.

I don't think Vermont is in the picture any longer. Pickerell is now at Hillrock in New York as his primary interest. He may still have an interest in WP but the micro-distillery in Vermont is definitely not happening, much like the Angel's Envy microdistillery and several others. In fact, although several have talked about it, the only non-distiller producer who has actually put a micro-distillery into operation is Pogue.

Although you'll never get anyone in the know to confirm it, Beam's Alberta Distillers in Winnipeg is the source for Whistle Pig.

Edited by cowdery

Although you'll never get anyone in the know to confirm it, Beam's Alberta Distillers in Winnipeg is the source for Whistle Pig.

I don't know about that, WP doesn't taste anything like Jim Beam Rye.

I don't know about that, WP doesn't taste anything like Jim Beam Rye.

Not sure if this is just a joke but...

Beam owns Alberta Distillers in Winnipeg. This is the likely source of WP. They also, of course, own a distillery in Clermont, where they make Jim Beam Rye.

I know, I know, it's (WP) made in Canada, but can anyone say what a 10 year old 100 proof Jim Beam rye tastes like?

In fact, although several have talked about it, the only non-distiller producer who has actually put a micro-distillery into operation is Pogue.

There'a a one page article about rye whiskey in the March/April issue of Mental Floss magazine. It contains a couple anecdotes about George Washington and an interesting list of 5 ryes to try:

Ritt BiB

Sazerac Jr.

Whistle Pig

Lions Pride

McKenzie rye

Nice exposure for McKenzie

I read it via the Mental Floss app on my Android tablet.

Chuck, Is Whistle Pig still bottling its 100% rye in Vermont, or did that go by the way side when the major principals had a falling out? Thanks,

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.