Angel's Envy Rye

LostBottle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It seems Angels' Envy is jumping into the rye game with a Caribbean rum finished version. The 6-year-old, 95% rye and 5% malted barley mash bill, is a dead giveaway that this is another sourced rye from MGP (formerly LDI). While the thought of a rum finished rye intrigues me, the price of $80 seems steep for a relatively young 100 proofer. Edited by LostBottle

For that price I can get a bottle of 12 year old El Dorado rum and a bottle of Dickel Rye. Believe I'll pass on the AE.

For that amount of money I can get a bottle of 15 year old El Dorado rum and two bottles of Dickel Rye, believe I'll pass on the Angel's Envy.

I would be very curious to try this as well,I can't see the minty/dill of the rye melding very well with the brown sugars and cinnamon of the rum.I guess at 6 years and 100 proof for $80 I need not worry either as it will be a try and not a buy for sure from my standpoint.I guess we have seen stranger culminations in the past and will have to wait and see.

EIGHTY DOLLARS?! Ah hell nah.

Would love to try it but they really, really need to get their pricing in check. Jeebus.

TPS sells the smooth ambler rye, a LDI 7yr old at 99 proof for $37.99..so this is 42 bucks more for barrel finishing?? There's a sucker born every minute, and I'm sure they're counting on it

I always find it strange when people have no shame about what they'll charge for something of an obviously lower value. I would like to see their response to this simple question, "really?"

I for one will buy at least one bottle to try it, as for price? It is worth what someone is willing to pay for it and I don't see $80.00 too outrageous maybe overpriced by $20.00 but a barrel finished rye is not a common product.

I believe their brand might find more customers if they would come out with some small 'try' bottles.

as for price? It is worth what someone is willing to pay for it

Ideally yes, if you have educated consumers. There are far too many people in this boom preying on those who don't know much about whiskey. They walk into a store with X dollars expecting the bottle that costs X to be worth X, and in this case it clearly isn't. We know what's in it, and what the market value of those components is based on all the other brands that use them. A finish does not increase the value by triple. It's like flippers who buy a house, throw some paint on the inside and think they can ask $100k more for it (guess who is a frustrated house shopper). Bourbon flipping at these margins is predatory and unethical imo.

I really like the Angel's Envy Bourbon, and am intrigued with their finishing a rye. I tried the Hooker's House Zin finished rye (MGPI sourced rye) several weeks ago, and found it very enjoyable. But, $80 does seem like a pretty steep price for the AE Rye. I'll probably fork it over, though. But, not without a good battle of congnitive dissonance going on in the whiskey aisle. But, I know what will win...That side is nearly undefeated...:rolleyes:

I find $80.00 for a bottle of whiskey far from a predatory price taking advantage of the bubble. We do not know how much product they put into R&D to find out what works/ doesn't work, we do not know the volume they purchased from LDI in comparison to a distributor such as Smooth Ambler, we do not know what the barrels cost. If they were to charge $100 or more for this product I would lean to taking advantage of the bubble scenario. Plus releasing a new product is always a calculated risk, I am sure they factored getting more money up front in the initial surge of demand to counter act possible losses from the product sucking.

AE can't compete with Brown-Forman or the other houses on economy of scale so they are putting out something a little different for those willing to pay for the difference. The intrinsic value has little to do with, it's worth what someone is willing to pay. I'm not that someone.

I heard that it's finished for 18 months, which is a long time for a finish.

Filibuster is selling MGPI rye finished in French wine barrels and it doesn't work. The rye's strong flavor fights with the barrel flavors and everybody loses. Hopefully, rum works better. At least you can be confident Lincoln doesn't do these things haphazardly. He knows what works.

I would be very curious to try this as well,I can't see the minty/dill of the rye melding very well with the brown sugars and cinnamon of the rum.I guess at 6 years and 100 proof for $80 I need not worry either as it will be a try and not a buy for sure from my standpoint.I guess we have seen stranger culminations in the past and will have to wait and see.

Actually it could work. I fairly routinely vat rye and rum together, about 4:1. I usually use Jefferson's and El Dorado 12 but I've done it with 5 year old Willett, too (which is LDI). I won't be buying any of this at that price but I'll bet it tastes good.

Interesting...and overpriced. Pretty much like any new expression hitting the market these days. I'd much rather buy a bottle of Glenmorangie 18 at the $79.99 price point.

I guess I am one of P.T.'s suckers I suppose but if I can find it I will definitely be trying at least one bottle. I like the LDI ryes in general and very much liked AE and AECS so I look forward to another variation from their shop even if it is a bit spendy.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw on Angel's Envy Facebook page that Wes Henderson was coming to Austin and having a dinner and tasting. The dinner was at a local fine steak restaurant, the cost was $65.

I went tonight and spent a couple of hours and had one of the best meals I have ever had. The chef made a Cuban Lechon, pork dish that was fantastic.

For the drinks we started tasting AE's white dog, then the regular AE.

During the main meal we tried the Cask Strength, very nice stuff. During dessert we had their new AE Rye finished in Caribbean rum casks for up to 18 months.

I am not a big Rye drinker, but I have to say this stuff was fantastic. After dinner I ended up drinking extra of the rye vs the cask strength. I am looking forward to buying this when it hits the stores in a couple of months.

Wes said we were one of the first groups that he introduced this to. They have a winner in my opinion.

Retail price should be around $70 per bottle. It will be 100 proof.

You should try this when you get a chance.post-6452-1448981879836_thumb.jpg

post-6452-1448981879836_thumb.jpg

I would love to! But apparently Georgia isn't on the list for the initial roll out so I will have to hope that I can find a way to get some from another source as was the case with the CS AE and the regular AE before it made it to Georgia.

Threads merged to keep the conversation in one place.

• 1 month later...

Just got back from spending an enjoyable evening with the folks from Angel's Envy at their pop-up bar where they were having their "pre-release" event for the AE Rye. In addition to sampling the new rye product, they served up some delicious cocktails made with standard AE and had some great finger foods (I am a full-blooded meat eater, but they had a knockout vegetarian taco) appropriately catered by a nearby restaurant named "Rye".

I made the drive to Louisville to sample the rye, because as many here know I love finished whiskies/whiskeys (I won't repeat the statement that put me in Kevin's Sampler Quotes thread). With that said, I was a little concerned about the anticipated $70 price point for this product and was not going to buy it before sampling it. For me, this one is a home run. Again, Lincoln, Wes, and Kyle have showed that they can produce a finished American whisky that can stand up in direct competition with the finished Scotches that I love. After tasting this rye, price is not an issue for me. It's only a few $$ more than the Balvenie Caribbean Rum Cask and is 100 proof vs 86 for the Balvenie (I'm glad that while this is meant to be a continuing product (though limited), they did not tone down the finish or the proof like they did with standard AE). I will take the opportunity in the future to do a side by side with the 2, but my initial impression is that the AE definitely holds its own with the Balvenie and may even surpass it. I know a lot of people don't like the price for a "young" rye (it is 7 1/2 years in wood), but when judged on taste - IF YOU LIKE HEAVILY FINISHED WHISKEY, I believe it stacks up well with the competition.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.