Angel's Envy Rye

LostBottle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Like TomH, I visited the AE Pop Up bar last week. And WOW was I impressed. The company did a GREAT job hosting us and we had a great time. The new RYE is amazing, haunting even. I can't wait until this is available for purchase. I think this offering will change the way people think of whiskey!

I think this offering will change the way people think of whiskey!

That sounds like a line straight from the AE marketing copy. You do realize that finished whisk(e)y has been around for a very, very long time? This whiskey will not change anything.

Edited by LostBottle

I wanted to dismiss this as another LDI/MGP bastard whiskey. But then I tasted it, and wow - sweet (caramel and rock candy) intermixed with a light peppery rye spice (the minty-ness is def drowned out by the sweetness of the rum influence). Tom was right to compare it to the Balvenie Carribbean cask. Like Tom said, its a finished whiskey, but everything blends together magically (if you're into that sort of thing).

I was griping about the price on facebook and Kyle Henderson chimed in and provided a rationale for the price. He said that the finishing casks start as Pierre Ferrand Conac casks, and them become Plantation XO 20th Anniversary rum casks. It sounds expensive, but I don't know much about cognac or rum, so...

He also said the price was going to be closer to $70.00 (at least in the KY region), which is still high, but a little less gouging.

It's really, really good, and I plan on getting a bottle even though it will eat up my bi-weekly whiskey budget. Hope this helps.

It's really, really good, and I plan on getting a bottle even though it will eat up my bi-weekly whiskey budget.

You're learning the secret handshake :grin:!

A finished whisky is only as good as the people who produce it and the Hendersons are very highly skilled.

I've found my palate to align with Tom's more often then not,so perhaps I've dismissed this a bit prematurely,ok I admit I will be buying one.Curiosity has once again gotten the best of me and I freely and openly admit it.

So when is this going to be released?

Actually it should be available in the Louisville area this week, if it is not already available...with other areas (in the limited distribution area) to follow shortly according to Kyle when I talked to him at the pre-release party in Louisville

Well hell. Heard too many good things at this point not to try one.

I believe it is on shelves (so to speak, on a limited basis) in NJ already, at $70.

I'm happy to see this can be found under the suggested $80 (seeing it at $65 in NJ), that was just way too much. Still, I am a bit hesitant about the pricing and getting a bit bored with young LDI juice. However, the finishing will probably change up the profile a bit; for good or bad seems like the real question. I like a rye, but will wait for some more reviews to be posted. If the SB consensus is that it's truly good and worth the premium, I'll buy a bottle or two.

I've found my palate to align with Tom's more often then not,so perhaps I've dismissed this a bit prematurely,ok I admit I will be buying one.Curiosity has once again gotten the best of me and I freely and openly admit it.

:lol: You feel better now, don't you Ryan? Just, let it out...........

:toast:

I don't think it will change anything, but it is very good and perhaps surprisingly so. My respect for what the Henderson's have achieved continues to grow. Too bad the distillery looks like a pipedream, though.

I don't think it will change anything, but it is very good and perhaps surprisingly so. My respect for what the Henderson's have achieved continues to grow. Too bad the distillery looks like a pipedream, though.

Chuck, it was my understanding that they were getting ready to move out on the distillery....has something happened this week to change those plans ?

Tom

:lol: You feel better now, don't you Ryan? Just, let it out...........

:toast:

Yeah,a little "Self Affirmation" every once and a while seems to help,at least that is what I tell myself.:grin:

So when is this going to be released?

It hit the shelves in Louisville yesterday.

Pardon me if it's already been noted, but is this a one time release?

Pardon me if it's already been noted, but is this a one time release?

The story I got was that the rum cask finish was a limited release. But there was going to be a standard issue AE rye. Unclear on what the finish will be.

Can anyone confirm or debunk?

The story I got was that the rum cask finish was a limited release. But there was going to be a standard issue AE rye. Unclear on what the finish will be.

Can anyone confirm or debunk?

Can neither confirm or debunk but I was told more of the 100 proof rum cask finished rye is supposed to be coming. It will reportedly be getting a wider release later in the year. I have heard that another round of the Cask Strength port finished AE Bourbon may also be coming by the end of the year.

Given that AE is building its strong rep on finished whiskey I would be surprised if they released a rye that had not been finished in something. Maybe port like the bourbon version?

Or yet another type of finish? Based on the quality of their products so far I am certainly interested in giving another finish a try if they have another one up their sleeve!

Chuck, it was my understanding that they were getting ready to move out on the distillery....has something happened this week to change those plans ?

Tom

$80 is way high and unfortunately the Angel's Envy Rye isn't spectacular. For $40 you can get a bottle of Russell's Reserve 6 year rye which is outstanding! I do like the idea of rum finishing though, I just don't know if a rye is the one to do it with and certainly not with casks as wet as were used for Angel's Envy.

Yeah you can keep that RR Rye. That's not to say I'm getting the AE, but I've heard much more good than bad regarding it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.