Angel's Envy Rye

LostBottle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just the opposite. The distillery is still nothing but vague talk. Believe it when you see it. I'm not saying it won't happen, but remember Willett. For about 20 years, it was always right around the corner. Yes, they did eventually crank up the stills, and so might the Hendersons. At this point, I don't see why they would. The company is doing just fine without it.

I'd like to see this come to fruition. I have to believe that they would be able to experiment a lot more with their own equipment. I've been impressed with the juice the Henderson's have put forward thus far....just not the price tags.

But hey, I never begrudge anyone for making a profit, especially if the market will pay the asking prices. Nice whiskies for sure, just not worth it to me for what they are asking. Too many other great whiskies out there vying for my $$ at lower prices. To each his own.

But hey, I never begrudge anyone for making a profit, especially if the market will pay the asking prices.
I agree. In many cases, making a profit is the same as making a living. I know a couple small business owners, and they don't eat if they don't make a profit.

$80 is way high and unfortunately the Angel's Envy Rye isn't spectacular. For $40 you can get a bottle of Russell's Reserve 6 year rye which is outstanding! I do like the idea of rum finishing though, I just don't know if a rye is the one to do it with and certainly not with casks as wet as were used for Angel's Envy.

AER has a far more interesting and appealing flavor IMHO. I wouldn't pay the price for either of those whiskies, but if I had to choose, I'd pick Angel's Envy.

The reviews seemed really mixed. Some love it, while others seem to think the flavors are not well integrated.

I now have a bottle on the way. When it arrives, I plan on spending some time putting this one through the paces and comparing it against other bottles I have in my cabinet. It seems something other than this rye will be finished - whether it is an entire bottle of tasty whiskey, or me ever splashing out for an AE bottling again, is TBD. I'll also make sure this bottle is on the table at the Seattle meetup.

Edited by LostBottle

Managed to find a bottle today and it was not easy... . I did not get much from the nose, it is allergy season so maybe it is just a bad day for my nose. Entry is all Rye spice and then the rummy sweetness kicks in on the palate and the finish. It is a very light bodied whiskey but has a surprisingly long sweet finish. Honestly don't know what to think of it, I am enjoying it but I guess being so different leaves me confused. More time with this one is in order plus a few side by sides will probably help .

Does anyone know if there will be a cask strength AER? I found the AE CS simply amazing. I wish I had another bottle.

I just cracked a bottle of this tonight.

The nose on this is strong. Waves of sweet sugar and gingerbread come flooding out of the bottle and my glass. I am having a hard time picking out any actual whiskey notes over the sweetness of the rum finish. The palate entry is smooth and doesn't drink like a 100 proof LDI. There is a bit of rye spice, promptly followed by more gingerbread, demerara sugar, and some vanilla and bananas. Does spicy liquid bananas foster make sense? The finish is more sweetness that gradually fades out. Wow, even the empty glass continues to act as a room freshener.

This is a unique rye whiskey. If you dislike rum, do not buy this bottle. In my opinion, the whiskey could have spent a little less time in the rum casks, I simply am not getting much solid rye flavor out of this one, it is just overpowered by sweetness - get your insulin needles handy (I have to caveat this comment by also saying that I tend to drink almost all rye and find many bourbons very, very sweet). Normally, I am not begging for more LDI flavor, but it could have been used here; I am really surprised to see such a spicy mash bill so completely overwhelmed. I would really like to see a "more rye" version of this, perhaps from second fill rum casks.

I think I like it, though I am still a bit confused by what I just tasted. It is very different and a nice change of pace. That said, it will be an after dinner drink due to the sweetness, which I could see becoming cloying with too much familiarity.

photo_zps646148b3.jpg

Well sheeit. Sounds pretty good to me. Wonder if it's still around here...

I just cracked a bottle of this tonight.

This is a unique rye whiskey. If you dislike rum, do not buy this bottle. In my opinion, the whiskey could have spent a little less time in the rum casks, I simply am not getting much solid rye flavor out of this one, it is just overpowered by sweetness - get your insulin needles handy (I have to caveat this comment by also saying that I tend to drink almost all rye and find many bourbons very, very sweet). Normally, I am not begging for more LDI flavor, but it could have been used here; I am really surprised to see such a spicy mash bill so completely overwhelmed. I would really like to see a "more rye" version of this, perhaps from second fill rum casks.

I also find it to have a lot of rum sweetness, more than I expected. I have a sweet tooth, so I'm not complaining, but it did cross my mind to try mingling it with some Willett 4-5 yr rye...

I am looking forward to trying this in the near future - but may just vat some 5yr Willett Rye with some El Dorado 15 to get a feel for the concept

My thought process as well, why pay large for this finished stuff when we can just add a drop or two of our own Sherry/Port/Rum.

this is definitely for those that have a sweet tooth. i don't think the rye is overpowered too much by the sweetness, but it definitely is sweet. lots of maple fudge and brown sugar on the nose. i like this bottle, but probably not all the time. the AE rye is to sweet as brimstone is to bbq and savory/smoke. it's unique, but as far as unique goes, i like brimstone much better...apples to oranges, but you get the picture.

My thought process as well, why pay large for this finished stuff when we can just add a drop or two of our own Sherry/Port/Rum.

Because you're not Lincoln Henderson.

K&L knows how to market to those with a combination of high interest and disposable income.

K&L knows how to market to those with a combination of high interest and disposable income.

Where the K&L's shops are located has a lot to do with it also. Regarding both allocations and demand.

First I want to say I don't care for any of the many LDI ryes I have tasted - I get a mint mouthwash that I don't enjoy - Also I really like Rum. Started drinking it long before Bourbon or Rye.

The nose of the Angels Envy Rum finished Rye is all Gingerbread and Vanilla. It's so thick and strong smelling I anticipated a liqueur character in the glass. Evan stronger than the Maple smell on the Crown Royal Maple and just a sticky sweet. If this one doesn't sell as a whiskey it could be used as a delicious perfume.

The taste is a spicy ginger and vanilla with some heaver Rye spice character holding it together. There is some bright fruit (pineapple?) and a big helping of baked brown sugar. There is NO LDI mintyness in in this. Not even a hint. To my taste it's got enough Rye Spice to balance the obvious sweetness. The ginger, vanilla pineapple thing is more reminiscent of current flavored rums rather than something in the traditional Cuban or Argicole style. It works with the rye in this case. Think of a spicy pineapple upside down cake in a bottle.

The finish is mostly sweet with vanilla and ginger but the spice never completely gives up. Pleasant and interesting.

Finished whiskeys are becoming a separate class and very often taste more like a cocktail in a bottle than what Bourbon lovers are accustomed to. This one is very different than a straight whiskey but if you like rum you will probably enjoy it.

BTW, we experimented and made a few cocktails with great success. It was fun.

Just a random thought -- If you had some barrels that previously held a spirit with a LOT of concentrated added flavorings and you used those barrels to finish a whiskey wouldn't you have just produced a flavor added whiskey without having to say "flavor added" the way you would with something like Wild Turkey Honey or Red Stagg?

Edited by sailor22

Flavors aren't added to whiskey in the barrel. They're added in the stainless steel dump tanks.

I am looking forward to trying this in the near future - but may just vat some 5yr Willett Rye with some El Dorado 15 to get a feel for the concept

Oh it's certainly not the same thing Winston I but believe it gives sufficient impression to decide if we want to spring for a whole bottle.

I think I need to revisit AER tonight. It seems other people are getting more rye than I did on my first go at it, perhaps my palate has become overly accustomed to my normal preference of dry & spicy.

Did you get a revisit on this LB? Just curious if you've been able to get a better read on this.

I did not have a chance to revisit, but plan on it this weekend. Last night I got too "bogged down" with Islay to retaste the AE Rum...I mean Rye.

Tried this thanks to Marc from the forum. All I have to say is maple syrup.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.