Angel's Envy Rye

LostBottle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Finally getting around to revisiting this a couple weeks after opening it... Still weird, it is almost like I take a sip of LDI rye and then take a sip of rum let them mingle in my mouth for a second and then swallow... I don't know if it is the rum and rye not complimenting each other or if the flavors are so different it just sends my palate in 2 separate directions? I don't know if I like it but I keep drinking it so I guess that means something?

Has anybody tasted this next to a Gilman of MGPI rye and rum?

Tom was kind enough to share his bottle with us last night at the V&T Whisky Club meeting.

post-6524-14489819162312_thumb.jpg

Two words. Pumpkin pie.

Wow! Lincoln Henderson figured out how to make liquid pumpkin pie and put it in a bottle. This stuff REEEEEEKS of it! It's like a Christmas spice, sweet dessert, nutmeg-y pumpkin pie!!

Very, very unique.

It's hard to be a purist when something tastes so damn good.

I absolutely love this line, and it is the way I feel about this rye as well. I certainly didn't expect what I tasted. Tried this at Whiskey Fest, and it certainly stood out all by itself for me.

I was able to pick up a bottle of AE rye for 60 bucks out the door yesterday. Took it to a party and shared it all around. It was generally a hit (generally free booze is) with one whiskey drinker saying it could easily become a favorite for him. I was interested in it mainly for the novelty. The nose seemed oddly muted to me but maybe my smeller was off. As for the taste, Josh nailed it with "pumpkin pie". The rum notes are very dominant up front with the rye spice punching through on the finish. As easy drinking as it is, I actually preferred it on ice as it softened the sweet taste and jammy body. It's almost overloaded with flavor and would make a killer tiki drink. Could never be a regular pour for me but I'm glad to have tried it. I ended up buying another bottle.

I was able to pick up a bottle of AE rye for 60 bucks out the door yesterday. Took it to a party and shared it all around. It was generally a hit (generally free booze is) with one whiskey drinker saying it could easily become a favorite for him. I was interested in it mainly for the novelty. The nose seemed oddly muted to me but maybe my smeller was off. As for the taste, Josh nailed it with "pumpkin pie". The rum notes are very dominant up front with the rye spice punching through on the finish. As easy drinking as it is, I actually preferred it on ice as it softened the sweet taste and jammy body. It's almost overloaded with flavor and would make a killer tiki drink. Could never be a regular pour for me but I'm glad to have tried it. I ended up buying another bottle.

I'm teetering on purchasing this.

Had a sample of it yesterday due the generosity of another member, LIke people have said, sweet/pumpkin pie/gingerbread. It's confusing because you're not quite sure what it is, simply because you've never had anything like it before.

Decisions.......

B

I bought a bottle of this yesterday after someone at my dinner table raved about how good it was. I opened the bottle today and gave it a try. I have to say that it is an interesting drink that I enjoyed immensely. I love the taste and flavor of this bottling. I'm not a bourbon snob, so I will be drinking this whiskey on a frequent basis even at the pricey cost.

I admit it I caved just today,more than a few that I have great faith in have given it a go,so I figured why the hell not!I just hope I'm not disappointed,I am a rum fan after all.

Wes Henderson was in town (Houston) today for a barrel selection/blend of AE for a local bar (Poison Girl). I was invited to attend and afterwards, Wes pulled out bottle of the AE Rye. I gotta say - WOW. Very sweet, cotton candy and just unlike any Rye I've ever tried. Maybe more of an after dinner drink, but simple superb. I accused Wes of of buying barrels of rum that were still partially full.

For shits and grins, we pulled a bottle of Bulleit Rye (same base source) for comparison. The truth was basically no comparison; yes both start at 95% MGP/LDI Rye but the finished product is polar opposite.

I gotta say I was in the opinion of $70 for LDI rye - you are out of your mind before tasting. After, I'm asking when it will be available at my local liquor store.

Edited by wadewood

I had a pretty similar experience to yours at the Opal Divine's whiskey fest last month here in Austin. I like AE just fine, as I always appreciate a port finish. But then they pulled out one bottle of the rye, and that blew me away. It definitely stands out among other ryes with all that crazy sweetness, and I completely understand why that's polarizing. I personally liked it a lot.

Also, $70 is a lot for an LDI rye, but who else in the market is producing one with a rum finish? I feel like, for the time being, there's no reason why they can't ask that. If they sell well, others will follow, and they'll have to bring the price down. (At least, if my basic understanding of capitalism means anything.) I'll personally spend my "this is a pricey rye" money on the Thomas Handy, but I won't fault anyone for picking up the AE rye.

When people argue with me about NDPs, they often wave Angel's Envy and Van Winkle in my face. They maintain that Lincoln Henderson and Julian Van Winkle don't distill the whiskey, they don't "do anything," yet they're spared from criticism. I can understand this, because on paper it doesn't seem like they do very much, yet what a huge difference it makes. The results are the point. So don't Willie Pratt at Michter's and David Perkins at High West deserve the same credit? Maybe. I guess I'm just not as impressed by their products. A more subtle part of my equation is the 'modesty gap.' I'm a big believer in under-promise, over-deliver.

A more subtle part of my equation is the 'modesty gap.' I'm a big believer in under-promise, over-deliver.

• 3 weeks later...

Got a bottle of this on my latest excursion to Northern Kentucky. Love it! Reminds me quite a bit of the molasses cookies my family makes during the winter months.

I tried this at the last GBS meeting and loved it. I just grabbed one while in SC packing up the old house.

• 2 months later...

Was able to try this at the gazebo this weekend. Like a melted gingerbread cookie, just a great after dinner desert drink when the mood strikes. Still can't get past price.

If this was in line with the main product (which goes for $50 or so around here), I'd be all over it. I will say for those interested, the availability seems to have greatly improved in the past two months. Curious if all the same batch, didn't think to check the bottle for any notations.

• 2 weeks later...
Tried this last night and was so enthralled I picked up two bottles. So unique, so sweet, so good.

What part of the country are you in? Has anyone seen any of these in Texas recently? I'm hoping to give one as a Christmas gift. I picked one up when they were first released here in the late spring, and I haven't seen any since. Their site doesn't mention it being a special/limited release, so I'm assuming there's more in the pipeline. Has anyone seen a second shipment of these showing up on shelves near them?

What part of the country are you in? Has anyone seen any of these in Texas recently? I'm hoping to give one as a Christmas gift. I picked one up when they were first released here in the late spring, and I haven't seen any since. Their site doesn't mention it being a special/limited release, so I'm assuming there's more in the pipeline. Has anyone seen a second shipment of these showing up on shelves near them?

I've seen it this week at both Specs and Goody Goody. Seems to be back in stock.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.