Pre-Festival Bunker Poll

Barrel_Proof
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

<br />Pre-Festival Bunker Inventory 2003  

1. 1. <br />Pre-Festival Bunker Inventory 2003

• 1-10
    • 11-20
    • 21-30
    • 41-50
    • 51-75
    • 76-100
    • 101-125
    • 126-150
    • 151-175
    • 176-200
    • 201 or more

I have a hunch that many bunkers will be bolstered after this year's festival. Whether board members travel to Bardstown or not, I bet the energy and talk re: the festival will boost the bourbon inventory of bunkers all 'round.

I have no intention of turning this poll into a beauty contest, so no bragging, please. Keep your numbers to yourself. I'm just interested in learning how many different bourbons we board members keep in the bunker and whether our bunkers will be substantially enhanced after the festival.

To assess this theory, please post the the number of different bourbons in your bunker.

Judging from the number of bourbons in a few of the "show us your stash" pics on this board and a few of the Japanese bourbon bar inventories I've seen posted on the Internet, I would estimate that it is possible to bunker two or even three hundred different bourbons in one's bunker.

Some ground rules, so as to make our posts more parallel:

1) Count only straight bourbons: Tennessee whiskies, blended whiskies, or anything anything else that isn't STRAIGHT BOURBON should NOT be counted (anyone not comfortable with this restriction should look at their browser address window NOW);

2) The principle here is to assess the number of different bourbons in the bunker--not the number of different bottles, labels, or wax seals. Cosmetic differences don't count. Consequently, differences in labels, bottles, or wax colors do not matter; they still count as only ONE bourbon;

For example, no matter how different Makers Mark bottles are in your bunker, the maximum number that you should include in the poll is 3 (the 90, 95, and 101 proof bottlings). As another example, the ugly black label, tall bottle variant of Elmer T. Lee S.B. and the new, clear label Elmer T. Lee S.B. bottling, count as only 1 bourbon in the bunker. Similarly, the two different A.H. Hirsch 16 yo labels, or the two different W.T. Rare Breed labels, count as but 1 bourbon. By contrast, if you have a 1990, 1993, and Millennium EWSB in the bunker, that should be counted as 3 different bourbons); and

3) Multiple bottles of the same bourbon count as 1 bourbon in the poll. (No matter how many bottles of Stagg you bunkered away, they count as 1 bourbon in the poll.)

After the festival, let's redo the poll!!

I've spent most of the last month in L'ville, so I am already stocked. cool.gif I have 28 opened straight bourbons, 3 opened ryes, and 10 unopened bourbon/rye duplicates. (I answered 28 on the poll.)

I would have liked to add a little more during my recent visits, but I am out of primary liquor cabinet space (overflowing into the pantry) and I am out of my wife's blessings (due to the amount of money I have spent). For the first time, I have open bottles in the pantry (the original 27), which is a first for me. I need to have a clear the liquor cabinet party so that the pantry goes back to just being duplicates.

I counted 38. Even if I were to count Old Commonwealth as a unique item and the empty JB Black in the recycle bin as though it were full, I still wouldn't reach that magic threshold of 41. frown.gif

I guess I won't be voting just yet. (Hint, hint... grin.gif )

As far as the main point of your post is concerned, I won't be adding to my virtual bunker any time soon -- unless a new bottling impresses those of you who attend the festival and Sam's decides to stock it.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

There are only a handful of votes in the Pre-Festival Bunker Poll.

Please vote HERE.

Sorry I have all ready voted once.... it's not like real election where you vote and vote often ... shocked.giflaugh.gifgrin.gif (j/k)

Bill G.

Done. I lied and voted in the 41-50 category, given that my actual number fell closer to it than to the adjacent 21-30 category.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

My bunker falls between the 21-30 and 41-50. I went with the conservative 21-30. I might have made the next level if it weren't for my Sam's order detouring through another state and being delayed. I don't plan on any major upgrades, just replacements as new OFBB and Stagg are released this fall. toast.gif

BP,

I didn't vote because I'm embarrassed to call my little group of mostly-empty bottles a collection... blush.gif Now, if empty bottles count, I could do myself proud... lol.gif.

Bj

Now I'm glad the 31-40 category was missing after I reposted the poll!

In any event, I've asked a Moderator to edit it for me, so we won't have any more hanging chads!

Tonight I went down to our bar in the basement and, using the rules of this poll, counted twenty different bourbons. I usually have a core group of 10-12 bourbons that I will have on hand. Then the remainder is different bourbons that I rotate from time to time. Also, to help with shelf space if a bottle gets low I’ll go ahead and finish it rather than have a lot of bottles with an inch or two of bourbon. I usually do add a few selections at the festival each year.

Todd

Hey, Brenda, if I can post a poll with an empty category, you can count empty bottles! The Florida election commission could use both of us to count hanging chads next time around, too!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.