Bourbon and ice cream?

Alden
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A buddy of mine just happened to mention that one of his grandkids ate a bite of his ice cream once an immediately spit it out. :lol: Apparently he likes to pour bourbon on his ice cream.

Any body else here ever do that?

I'm thinking plain vanilla, since most bourbons have a lot of vanilla on the nosy.

I've poured MM on top of Buttered Pecan ice cream before... Tried it after having dinner at a local steakhouse that features MM ice cream on their menu - not bad actually.

MM is Makers Mark. It's generally favoured by many for cooking as it's a lighter 'wheater' bourbon that lends itself well to various savoury and sweet dishes. There's whole cook books dedicated to using bourbon in recipes, so I won't go to far into it..... But from my (somewhat) limited cooking experiences, bourbon can work well in meat marinades, sweet potato dishes, fudge, sweet sauces and even chocolates (Makers Mark and many other distilleries produce a chocolate 'bourbon ball' that has to be tasted to be believed!)

An ice cream store in Denver sells a Stranahans Brickle ice cream that is delicious, not quite the punch of straight bourbon on Ice cream but certainly delicious

I like a little Bourbon with a couple drops of Vanilla Extract on Coffee or Cherry Vanilla Ice Cream, and a little Rum on Butter Pecan. Yum.

I have some Weller 12 that tastes a lot like MM to me. It's a wheat bourbon too, so I guess that explains that.

I hit my vanilla icecream with a dash of bourbon when fancy takes me.

I actually favour something a bit fiesty like WT86.8 as the sweetness of the icecream helps soften things. Something like MM can get a little sickly sweet for my taste.

Haven't tried it yet, but next time homemade peach is available, I gotta try it. At least a bourbon chaser, anyway.

A local shop, Cupcake Royale, sells "Whiskey Maple Bacon Crack" ice cream. It is maple ice cream with Woodinville Whiskey and candied bacon. It is really rich, a bit bizarre, and pretty tasty.

I've never poured it, but I frequently enjoy sipping between bites. Not bourbon, but my favorite is vanilla bean and Balvenie Doublewood.

Going to have to try this. Also need to try some maple syrup with ice cream as I heard that is tasty too.

Best regards, Tony

I've made plenty of homemade icecream that has bourbon in it. Great stuff.

I've made plenty of homemade icecream that has bourbon in it. Great stuff.

Same here. Sometimes I use Stagg, enough that the ice cream remains soft serve, even in my chest freezer at minus 12. HMMMM mmmmm good.

I generally do like using spirits on ice cream....though I do use liqueurs. However, I do love making bourbon milk shakes. If you are ever in Vegas and want a great burger and shake go to BLT Burger at the Mirage and order a Grandma's Treat spiked shake.

I generally do like using spirits on ice cream....though I do use liqueurs. However, I do love making bourbon milk shakes. If you are ever in Vegas and want a great burger and shake go to BLT Burger at the Mirage and order a Grandma's Treat spiked shake.

Tom .. I'd love to have that receipe. Will you share?

• 1 month later...

there's a local ice cream maker in Louisville, KY that has bourbon ice cream. Had two scoops on a waffle cone. nice! the shop is called The Comfy Cow, there are several around Louisville.

I was drinking one night with the owner of a bar in town and he introduced me to bourbon and ice cream. I thought he was messing with me at first. It was pretty much a scoop of vanilla ice cream and Jim Beam in a tumbler glass. Kind of a bourbon float. It wasn't half bad.

Wasn't crazy about it ON the ice cream, but like others - sipping while enjoying ice cream is pretty amazing (although, I will say - it seems to go better with Scotch than Bourbon for whatever reason - YMMV)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.