What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Spring 2013

jcg9779
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Gillman, after shoveling snow for a couple hours, my back is ready to join you in some OF Signature 100.

Does anyone know the normal or average age of this whiskey?

Thanks, squire, I was thinking 7-8 myself. Depth of flavor, but not a lot of wood on the finish. Very integrated.

Picked up a Russell's Reserve 10/90 for $25. I figured at that price it was worth a shot.

Wouldn't count on it being more than a case or two max. The allotment for off premise was quite low. You should see it pop up at quite a few bars if you cant find a bottle and want to try it.

Jumped on the JPS18 bandwagon. Made sure mine had the S-W sticker on it. Batch 15. Supposedly the newer ones have dropped that statement.

Picked up a 4 Roses Small Batch for $26.00.

Seemed like a reasonable price for what I have been hearing is something somewhat off the beaten path.

Nothing spectacular, but good prices on today's hunt. OGD86, 2-FC103s, 4R80 at $13.99 each. An OGD BIB for $15.99 and a staff selected barrel bottling of '02 EW1B for $24.99, plus an Old Charter 10 yr liter for $23.99.

Grabbed a bottle of Beam Distillers Select #3, OGD, and a Mellow Corn (DSP 31). The Beam cost the most at $20, and the other two were under $13 for 750mL bottles.

It's different, I like it, it's not my favorite but something worth dancing with once in awhile.

Picked up my first AAA10* in SC, found a UD OC10 from '97 in NC, and 2 bottles of 17 year 147.5 proof Abraham Bowman in VA. Didn't spend much time hunting, so I feel pretty lucky.

post-9252-14489818789376_thumb.jpg

post-9252-14489818789956_thumb.jpg

post-9252-14489818790548_thumb.jpg

Picked up two of the new EC12 barrel proof for $35.99 each, couple of EW BIB, an OF Birthday 2012, and an EW 1783. First time I've seen the EW BIB in OKC. Was surprised to find the EC barrel proof as well. Happy.

Old Forester Signature 100 proof. Bought this in Montreal and encountered a particularly good bottle with clean rich nutty flavors, very smooth even though that word should be inapt as applied to a drink one-half of which helps power stock cars.

The recent discussion about Pappy 23 reminded me that fine bourbon is available for far less money than that rarity goes for, and the OF 100 is as good if not better IMO.

Gary

Count me as an OF fan. OGD BIB for that matter, too. I keep OF Signature as one of my standards. I recently read an article discussing Brown-Forman's aversion to producing OF in a bonded offering, and was actually pleasantly surprised to come across two bottles of OF BIB recently. Also grabbed one bottle of the OF 86, all of these older bottles had the paper label.

I think it is unclear whether OF Signature is not bonded. IIRC, at one point B-F stated that the term bonded was not considered meaningful for most current consumers, so the designation was finally removed (a few years ago), but I don't think they said it no longer met the requirements for bonded bourbon. Or perhaps they did, can anyone clarify?

Gary

Picked up my first AAA10* in SC, found a UD OC10 from '97 in NC, and 2 bottles of 17 year 147.5 proof Abraham Bowman in VA. Didn't spend much time hunting, so I feel pretty lucky.

Nice little haul. Is the Abe Bowman 17 pretty easy to find in VA ABCs, or is it really sporadic?

I think I got lucky, have heard they are pretty easy to find around the time it's released, but I think it's been awhile since they put one out. I only went to the 1 VA ABC store on my trip.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!