What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Spring 2013

jcg9779
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Grabbed a Bulleit since I haven't had it in awhile; and an extra bottle of EC12 while I was at it.

FedEx showed up at 7:30pm last night with my TPS load, so here are the weekends spoils:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15566[/ATTACH]

VOB BIB x 10

Weller 12 x 6

OWA

EW 1783

4R TPS OBSQ

And now we know why TPS ran out of Weller 12

Squire, I just bought a Benchmark "old #8" in Kentucky after a store owner was sampling it. At $8.99 for a 750 I was curious and after tasting was sold. Not rough at all, and at 80 proof an easy sipper/mixer. One of my favorite bottom shelfers currently and it is of course "The bourbon by which all others are measured" !

Should be a universal "well" bourbon. Instead too many places use a blend like early times.

And now we know why TPS ran out of Weller 12

I picked up the Weller 12 locally. If TPS runs out of VOB BIB I'll take some blame for that.

Should be a universal "well" bourbon. Instead too many places use a blend like early times.

From one Eric to another-agree. It's very drinkable neat but at that price and proof works well as a mixer. A real personable guy in Carrollton,Ky was really working the sale. He was so into it my sister and I each bought one after tasting.

Picked up my first bottle of RR10, another bottle of EWSB 2003 and my stand-by, FRSmB.

Picked up a WTAS. Price wasn't great, but also wasn't terrible. I figured I should pick it up after a fairly unsuccessful dusty hunting weekend. Tonight, I wanted to recheck a store where I recently found a BHC VSOF and I knew this bottle was in another store in the area. After striking out at my original destination, I decided I should pick up the WTAS before I regretted it later.

Stopped at a local store this morning to get a birthday gift for one of my employees and walked out with a store selection of Knob Single Barrel for myself at a really great price ($29). Once the sun gets over the yard arm I may have to do some "sensory evaluation" of it to see if I should grab another on the way home.

I picked up two bottles of EWSB 2000. One of them in a super big box, high-volume store that just doesn't have dusties - not sure why it was there. The other in a neighborhood package store that I had already cleaned out of 1996 and 1997 EWSB. Their customer base doesn't seem too enamored of EWSB, or anything resembling a premium version. They still have one more EWSB 2000 left - which I'll leave behind for the next dusty hunter, at least until my bourbon slush fund is restocked.

I always have to have a bottle of WT101 in the cabinet but this stuff sure doesn't deliver like it used to, IMO. Good thing I had some Rare Breed to follow it up.

Old Fitz BIB tonight, one that I always pass over for some reason and you know what for $15 this is a pretty solid pour indeed.I understand it is a mere shadow of those days in which the DSP-16 still graced shelves,but to my mind I actually prefer to this to Larceny,call me crazy....:grin:

Edited by WAINWRIGHT

Got some King's County, Black Dirt, Widow Jane Rye and some New Holland BBB today.

Picked up an EW 1783 10 yr for a friend. Did see some tax-stamped bottles, but since they were Hiram Walker Juicy Grape Schnapps I passed :lol:

Picked up a couple bottles of Smooth Ambler VOS 14y. Cracked one open and I have to say I'm really liking this!

I didn't purchase it but received a half case of W12 for my birthday yesterday, from the wife, last year she got me a suit, she is learning!!

I picked up a bottle of Weller 12 today just in case they get scarce.

Although, the store I shop at regularly got some more in today's shipment, so it's hard to say when or if this stuff is going to disappear.

In Indiana we have just started to get Mellow Corn, and finally VOB B.I.B. I picked up one of each, and some Champagne Velvet beer.

Would like to hear your take on the VOB.

Another Indiana guy so VOB BIB is new to me as well. I bought a bottle in KY only to find it in local stores upon my return. I really like it! It seems similar to WT101 but a little smoother. I noticed a corn and caramel flavor and the rye. I am not very good at tasting notes. In my book, a bourbon (or any drink) is either really good, good or not so good. VOB BIB is really good.

I tried it both neat and with a few cubes of ice. Without going to the Whiskey Tree, I am not certain how it compares to other whiskeys with similar mashbills that I may have tried. However, as a general comparison, I preferred it over OGD114, BT, WR. I plan to try more and more, well, and more just to make sure I get a really good assessment but I think this one is going to be a regular in my house.

I did also try OGD114 and loved the taste, especially with a cube of ice in the glass. The heat was fine but I enjoyed it a little more with the ice. However, I got a headache later. I only drink one whiskey at a time the first time I try something so as to get a better feel for it. I may have just been tired or something because I have no allergies or anything to corn, wheat, rye or barley and I didn't drink enough to get skunked. I guess it could have been the proof but I really wasn't "feeling" it. I will get a better sense after another tasting or two. Normally, I find that I enjoy most bourbons better after a second or third taste.

I am looking forward to an OGD114/VOB BIB mix. I have to wait until the weekend though! I can only drink lightly during the week and not every night.

Picked up a couple bottles of Smooth Ambler VOS 14y. Cracked one open and I have to say I'm really liking this!

Nice pickup! I love the 14 year release.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!