What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Spring 2013

jcg9779
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Didn't buy but acquired these samples today. I'll be busy for the next couple of nights.

post-9262-1448981915517_thumb.jpg

I had a buddy visiting Cincy, and had him pick me up a bottle of AAA 10yr and TPS Private Barrel 4R SB OBSK. The AAA came on the foot of the recent news/speculation on its availability. Tried it and liked it a lot. I have not tried the 4R yet, but every 4R I have tried so far.

Willett Family Estate 9 year "Paul Robeson" 121.6 proof/60.8% ABV.

Bottle 43/174.

Didn't buy but acquired these samples today. I'll be busy for the next couple of nights.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15625[/ATTACH]

Joe let us know what you think about the 2012 PVW 15. Especially if you have an older model to compare.

Just amazed and really want to express my appreciation to my fairly new source, keeping the store secret, sorry. :) at least for now.

He really went to town to help me get two bottles of WLW, using all his contact and getting it not from Young's but with Buffalo Trace's contact. Then drove a long way to pick them up from the warehouse.

I really wanted to thank him and actually wanted to thank him with $20 but refused saying he does this for passion not money and wants to sell to folks who love to drink it.

Only charged me $84.99 each as well.

There's always some nice people and vendor out there.

I'm going give him a bottle of something next time.

Cheers

Hugh

Edit: I was being selfish but they should be recognized. It's a liquor store but with a very decent selection. It is Maple Leaf Liquor in San Jose on Saratoga Avenue.

uhy6uzuv.jpg

Edited by tigerlam92

Another BP Elijah Craig. It is funny I walk by the 18 when I see it but the BP is so tasty. Maybe I should get the occasional 18 I see and blend a little BP in there?

Best regards, Tony

2 bottles of Louisville old charter 10 year old and a bottle of Tom Moore bib that looked like it might have been at the store for a long time!

Another BP Elijah Craig. It is funny I walk by the 18 when I see it but the BP is so tasty. Maybe I should get the occasional 18 I see and blend a little BP in there?

Best regards, Tony

Ok, rub it in. I can't find either in the Indy area. I would like to try the 18 but would settle for either.

walked into my liquor store today looking for something else, when i saw something that stopped me dead in my tracks. there was one of my favorites, Knob Creek 120, sitting on the shelf with a sale price of $19.99. I went back to the front of the store, grabbed a basket, and proceeded to clear the shelf. they even discount it further when you buy as many as i did. if they restock it, i'll reclear it!

is this how bunkering gets started?

Picked up a Basil Hayden's... I haven't tried it but it was the last age stated bottle I've come across locally so it made it's way home with me. Didn't hurt it was on sale.

walked into my liquor store today looking for something else, when i saw something that stopped me dead in my tracks. there was one of my favorites, Knob Creek 120, sitting on the shelf with a sale price of $19.99. I went back to the front of the store, grabbed a basket, and proceeded to clear the shelf. they even discount it further when you buy as many as i did. if they restock it, i'll reclear it!

Is that like 1/2 price? Wow! Any reason it was on sale? You did well my friend!

Picked up a 4R1BLE 2013 (been waiting to try this one, loved the 2012 version), EWSB 2003, and a Baby Saz.

No more shopping for a while! I have too many bottles and must clear out some space!

Apropos the recent Weller 12 discussion, it's findable in MA right now, but at no less than $34 a bottle, usually on the shelf for $35. I have only one bottle of it, which is currently open.

Is that like 1/2 price? Wow! Any reason it was on sale? You did well my friend!

i dont know if it was clearance or a mistake, i didnt ask, and didnt want to know. I figured it was either A: a mistake and shouldve been 29.99, since the 100 proof KC was on sale for $28.........or B: was being discontinued.

either way, I figured I would take every one they had and leave quickly. 5 of 'em and a bottle of vodka for an upcoming limoncello brew, out the door, for a hair over $100. I'll check back tomorrow and see if there is more!

Ok, rub it in. I can't find either in the Indy area. I would like to try the 18 but would settle for either.
If I ever meet up with you at an Indy meet, you can try some of mine. A couple of years ago, long before I was ever interested in bourbon, I got a bottle of EC18 as a Christmas Gift from a friend. Back then I was only interested in Jack Daniel's, so I stuck it in the back of one of the kitchen cabinets and forgot about it. Now that I'm into bourbon, I'm thrilled to have it. It's still sealed and I've been saving it for a special occasion. I'll bring it with me when I finally make it to one of these SB social events and you can have some.

Joe let us know what you think about the 2012 PVW 15. Especially if you have an older model to compare.

Never have had any PVW - only the 10 and 12 VW. Don't get me wrong I'm grateful and excited about getting to try the PVW, but I know it's way overhyped too. My expectations aren't too high for that one. I nosed it a little when I got it and it immediately reminded me of OWA and ORVW 107.

I'm REALLY excited abuot the dusties! Anyway, I'll post my thoughts when I get to it.

Picked up Four Roses Single Barrel yesterday. I did a comparison with Four Roses Small Batch last night.

Being a noob, I'm not good with explaining what I smell/taste but here goes: Single Barrel was more amber (darker) and had more of a bite. For some reason, the Small Batch smelled a bit metallic/earhty? in comparison. Both tasted of honey but found the Single Barrel to be spicier. I like both but as of now I prefer the Single Barrel.

I even got the wife to get in on it. She tried both then moved on to Lot B!

If I ever meet up with you at an Indy meet, you can try some of mine. A couple of years ago, long before I was ever interested in bourbon, I got a bottle of EC18 as a Christmas Gift from a friend. Back then I was only interested in Jack Daniel's, so I stuck it in the back of one of the kitchen cabinets and forgot about it. Now that I'm into bourbon, I'm thrilled to have it. It's still sealed and I've been saving it for a special occasion. I'll bring it with me when I finally make it to one of these SB social events and you can have some.

Thank you! That sounds like a plan! I look forward to it!

Picked up Four Roses Single Barrel yesterday. I did a comparison with Four Roses Small Batch last night.

Being a noob, I'm not good with explaining what I smell/taste but here goes: Single Barrel was more amber (darker) and had more of a bite. For some reason, the Small Batch smelled a bit metallic/earhty? in comparison. Both tasted of honey but found the Single Barrel to be spicier. I like both but as of now I prefer the Single Barrel.

I even got the wife to get in on it. She tried both then moved on to Lot B!

3 x VOB BiB 750ml

1 x AAA10yr 1L

1 x Old Forester Signature 200ml

First time with each - tried the VOB last night and really enjoyed it - reminded me of BT but with a bit less cinnamon hots that I get from that bourbon - had a dusty/toasty oak note on the finish that I liked but everything here seemed really well balanced. At one point I consciously tried to find an off-note or something off balance and I couldn't do it. I can see why this barely makes it out of Kentucky! This is one I'll want to keep in the house if at all possible.

I agree Mark, I make it a point to keep some Very Old Barton around myself.

Just snagged a bottle of "FR 2013 Single Barrel LE OBSK"...this is my first Single barrel FR so i'm pretty excited.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!