What Rye Are You Drinking? Spring 2013

LostBottle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Spring is upon us! I welcomed the new season with a lunchtime pour of Bulleit Rye. Later this week I will do some Spring cleaning and reorganize my bunker.

Jim Beam yellow label. It's the first rye I have ever tried.

I like it a lot. Lots of vanilla and caramel and an interesting but short finish I am having a hard time describing. Kind of a grassy flavor.

A sunny, but cold spring day here.

Start the day with a small tasting of Hirsch 22yr rye.

Don't know what made me happier, tasting the rye or the delight in prying it out of the store owner's hands. :grin:

I love negotiating.

B

Nice score, Brent! After you get to spend more time with the Hirsch 22, I would be curious to hear what you think.

Rit 23, hard night in the garage prepping the car for a driving event this weekend and felt I deserved something special for my efforts...

Last night after work I did side by side WT 101 and Russel's 6yr (90). There is a pleasurable drinkability of the Russells where one could really just put it back without taking much in distinct flavors. I liken this to the Templeton which is so watered down at 80 that anyone could enjoy this. I prefer the mouthfeel of the 101 though. The minty finish I enjoy and look for is very evident in the 101, while buried in the Russels. Both great whiskeys but for while we can still enjoy the 101 Rye, that is the one I'll prefer.

Went to the local liquor store to pick up some nasty stuff to make Washington Apple for a lady friend. Picked up my normal OE 101 for myself and spotted some Dickel Rye. At $23 , I thought what the hell. Opened it as soon as I got home. It definitely has that LDI flavor profile, but it tastes young and has a thin mouthfeel. I'll have to think hard as to buy it again.

Did you buy it in Ohio? I got mine for 20+tax at Party Source in January during my Cincy visit!

Thomas

Went to the local liquor store to pick up some nasty stuff to make Washington Apple for a lady friend. Picked up my normal OE 101 for myself and spotted some Dickel Rye. At $23 , I thought what the hell. Opened it as soon as I got home. It definitely has that LDI flavor profile, but it tastes young and has a thin mouthfeel. I'll have to think hard as to buy it again.

Did you buy it in Ohio? I got mine for 20+tax at Party Source in January during my Cincy visit!

Thomas

Ritt BIB and Bulleit rye. The Ritt is heads and tails above the Bulleit although the bulleit has many attributes I enjoy. The Ritt is so dynamic in nose and taste. I was having difficulties slowing down the flavors and aromas. Back at it tonight to make some headway on some notes.

Had a pour of Hirsch 21 rye and Vintage 23 rye Saturday night. I was pretty disappointed in both, despite being a fan of Hirsch 22 and Vintage 21. Followed that up with a Rendezvous rye, which never disappoints.

Last night I enjoyed a RIT BIB, waiting to open a Willet 5yr Rye I found at a store yesterday, and today I found a WT 101 Rye at a local shop. Hopefully I can clear him out of the 4 101s left in the course of the next month.

WTR101 as I hang out on the back deck grilling dinner on this glorious PacNW Easter Sunday!

8607280847_cebd8632b2.jpg

Edited by ChainWhip

Had a pour of Dickel Rye - sweet, pepper, then smoky with an odd finish. I'm eager to pop a Bulleit Rye and compare the two.

Two Manhattans tonight. One made with Ritt, the other with Whistlepig. I liked the One made with Ritt better.

Last night I enjoyed a RIT BIB, waiting to open a Willet 5yr Rye I found at a store yesterday, and today I found a WT 101 Rye at a local shop. Hopefully I can clear him out of the 4 101s left in the course of the next month.

I saw some WT 101 rye last week and almost got one. Is it very different from the 101 bourbon? I understand it's got to be at least 51% rye to be labeled as such, but isn't the bourbon a high rye recipe already?

I saw some WT 101 rye last week and almost got one. Is it very different from the 101 bourbon? I understand it's got to be at least 51% rye to be labeled as such, but isn't the bourbon a high rye recipe already?

Two different beasts. Buy the rye, they're not making the 101 proof anymore. Unless you absolutely don't like rye.

Willett 5yr last night. Been passing over this for the last couple of weeks, not sure why, but a little extra open bottle time has done it well.

Still my favorite young rye product.

B

Completely different animals. And I'd take the now-dusty 101Rye over the current WT101 Bourbon any day of the week. Grab it if you see it, and while some great tasters on this board hate it(I'm looking at you, Josh:skep::grin:), many of us love it.

The only way to really "know" is to try every damn whiskey yourself.

As has been said, the 101 rye and bourbon don't compare to each other, but when you compare them to their price-point peers, the 101 rye blows the bourbon from here to kingdom come. Buy buy buy. The market is absolutely under-saturated with Kentucky style rye (meaning straight rye whiskey made with corn), and WTR101 is a top example of the style at a great price.

As has been said, the 101 rye and bourbon don't compare to each other, but when you compare them to their price-point peers, the 101 rye blows the bourbon from here to kingdom come. Buy buy buy. The market is absolutely under-saturated with Kentucky style rye (meaning straight rye whiskey made with corn), and WTR101 is a top example of the style at a great price.

I will definitely give it a try. Thanks!

I have not had a drink for about a week and a half because of a cold turned sinus thing. My remedy for this? CEHT Rye and

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!