What Rye Are You Drinking? Spring 2013

LostBottle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Enjoying a pour of Ritt 25 and a few pours of V21, I can not get over how "heavy" the Ritt 25 is. One pour is all I can ever manage to enjoy in an evening.

I have three now:

Jim Beam rye

George Dickel rye

Wild Turkey 81 rye

The Dickel and the WT are the better ones, they are both bolder. Not sure which one I like best yet. Need to spend some serious time with them.

LIttle Hirsch 22yr for the night.

Poured another one of these for another forum member earlier in the day, Wryguy and his brother made a pit stop by the house on their cross country pillage for a little bit. Always nice to meet another, and once again proves my belief that there are some amazing great and generous folks amongst the board.

I'm looking forward to getting out his way some day to see the goods out there.

Of course, he also made a very generous deliver to my bunker, which left me smiling the rest of the day. of course, seeing the look on his face as he picked up his, was priceless. It was a genuine look of true awww. Having great bottles is nice, but sharing great bottles, and seeing the joy, is even better.

B

Edited by BFerguson

Finally uncorked my Willett 25yr rye (my 10th anniversary present, purchased last September). The nose is nice - woody (as you'd expect!), with charred oak front and center and more molasses than baking spices. I think this would have been amazing . . . if bottled a few years earlier. At least on this initial pour, on the palate it was very bitter - so much so that it was overpowering. Hoping it improves with some air, or just an off night (although I poured a half-ounce of some Willett 4 yr rye first to warm up the palate and see if my senses were working, and it tasted as nice as it usually does).

Yet another reminder that I should always follow my own rule to "try before you buy", at least on any purchases over $50 :lol:

Having my first pour of Ritt BIB and must say that I think it's fantastic. My first Rye and looks like I need to expand my horizons a little more.

Enjoying my V21 again tonight, really wishing I had bought more bottles of this when I had a chance.

Enjoying my V21 again tonight, really wishing I had bought more bottles of this when I had a chance.

Many of us feel the same way!

Another big +1!!

As always, TH Handy is showing spectacularly to me tonight. The only thing better, will be when I get to the char at the bottom of this bottle. Love that gritty char... :yum:

Edited by callmeox
Double post merged at users request

VWFRR for my nightcap tonight. I'm down to my last 8 or 9 oz of this . . . . DAMN!

Just killed off my HW RR. Not bad, but won't be buying another at $45ish. At the beginning of the bottle, the older Barton rye flavor predominated, and it was great. But as the level dropped and more air got to it over time, the LDI dill pickle came to the front (NOT my favorite!)

Ritt 21. It has a butterscotch note reminiscent of dusties, so much so that I've been pairing it with a sample of ND OGD BiB or OF BiB to calibrate my taste buds. It brings out the aged rye notes in the others, enhancing their flavors to me. The price, on the other hand - I wish I could wash that taste out of my mouth!

Not sure who brought it, but tried some barrel proof Redemption Rye 5 yr (150ish proof) last night with some water. For 5 yr, I thought it was spectacular. Not sure what resemblance it bears to their stuff on the shelf, but making me more curious at least. Thanks to whomever shared that!!

Not sure who brought it, but tried some barrel proof Redemption Rye 5 yr (150ish proof) last night with some water. For 5 yr, I thought it was spectacular. Not sure what resemblance it bears to their stuff on the shelf, but making me more curious at least. Thanks to whomever shared that!!

Isn't Redemption Rye LDI/MGPI? Interesting that it comes in at such a high proof at such a young age. Willet's barrel proof LDI seems to come in around 125 proof.

Isn't Redemption Rye LDI/MGPI? Interesting that it comes in at such a high proof at such a young age. Willet's barrel proof LDI seems to come in around 125 proof.

Had a pour of the Dickel Rye tonight. Not surprisingly it is very similar to Bulleit Rye, but the charcoal filtering seems to give it a slightly different flavor. At $32 it's expensive, but still cheaper than Bulleit. I hope the prices come down on this some as I would make this a staple whiskey.

Eric

Chris is being extremely diplomatic about it, unsurprisingly, so to put it in much more blunt terms, how the heck can 62.5% go to over 75% in just 5 years? I've never heard of such a thing.

Had a pour of the Dickel Rye tonight. Not surprisingly it is very similar to Bulleit Rye, but the charcoal filtering seems to give it a slightly different flavor. At $32 it's expensive, but still cheaper than Bulleit. I hope the prices come down on this some as I would make this a staple whiskey.

Eric

That is a pretty high price. In Atlanta it seems like it is low $20's at most for the Dickel Rye.

That is a pretty high price. In Atlanta it seems like it is low $20's at most for the Dickel Rye.

Everything is expensive in NY

Eric

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!