What Rye Are You Drinking? Spring 2013

LostBottle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Abraham Bowman Rye - TPS Barrel #1. This pour never disappoints.

I don't know. I am pretty disappointed with that (fantastic) pour because I waited too long, and it was sold out. Admittedly, it is my fault and not that of the whiskey - the punishment for being indecisive is swift and merciless.

Edited by LostBottle

Abraham Bowman Rye - TPS Barrel #1. This pour never disappoints.
I don't know. I am pretty disappointed with that (fantastic) pour because I waited too long, and it was sold out. Admittedly, it is my fault and not that of the whiskey - the punishment for being indecisive is swift and merciless.
You should have hauled you ass down to Bardstown in April Will,plenty to be had out at the Gazebo from Barrel#2 and #1 is still safely tucked away deep in the bunker.I was lucky enough to nab one of each.

Daaaaaaamn riiiiiiiight.

To me, rye is at it's best when the wood and spice fight for your tongue like Inigo Montoya and Westley fighting over Buttercup.

Preach! I'm going to have a pour of Rittenhouse 25 right now in honor of this truth. Cheers SMOWK!

I tried this for the first time last night. I was prepared to be blown away. I wasn't. I can see why it gets a lot of love, but I like my rye with more age on it.

How does it compare to THH? I have a bottle but am not in a hurry to open it because I simply don't like the malt notes in the THH. Since those notes also are in the white dog rye, I consider it a genetic defect, not fixable with current methods.

Tasted a multitude of fine ryes last night. Most of the standard heavy hitters were there, except Ritt 21 and any BMH ryes. We calibrated with Ritt BIB. The only geezers I hadn't tasted yet were Hirsch 21 and Vintage 23. I was sorely disappointed in both, and have crossed them off my hunting list. Not in the ballpark of my faves (V21, Hirsch 22, VWFRR), and would not recommend. V23 has a nice nose and palate entry, but quickly turns into a musty/funky mess, all bitter and woody on the finish. The Hirsch 21 has way too much alcohol burn and lacks the depth of flavor and complexity of its older siblings. Between the two bottles I'm out $300 and I kinda feel like fool.

Trey my education was also expensive and that's why I don't buy brands with unverified contents.

Trey my education was also expensive and that's why I don't buy brands with unverified contents.

A good point that is worth making, but my experience with these brands had been very positive already. I guess I flew too high and got BURNED by the NDP sun.

I had small pours of HW Rendezvous and Willett 4yr. They really tasted good today, what I could taste of them as I am dealing with some pretty bad allergies.

Having more of the Willett 4yr tonight. This is really growing on me. Upon first taste, about a month ago, I didn't care for it. I was getting too much dill/mint, but lately it doesn't bother me at all, kinda diggin' it. Very tasty!

TH Handy here, too. Pairing nicely with a slug of gouda.

WT 101. Managed to find a bottle before they shifted to the 81. Terrified i wont like it as much.

Ritt BIB. A particularly nice bottle too. Dense and rich, with a subtle hint of Sen-Sen on the back of my tongue.

Just love this stuff. Every day that passes I get a bit more nervous about the DSP-1 version showing up and being different. I keep stocking up, but silly me - I keep drinking away my stash! I'm down to 4 bottles now. Might have to buy a locked cabinet and throw away the key ...

WT 101. Managed to find a bottle before they shifted to the 81. Terrified i wont like it as much.

Couldn't help it, popped open the Hirsch 25 rye at 12:35am! It is well before last call right?

On my goodness. This is just wonderful.

Note it's late so I didn't do a three comparison to PVWFRR and THH. Also note that my THH was open in 09 and I don't like it much at all. Since then I have only drank it 3-4 times just to remind myself how much I appreciate my good wheaters and sadly persuaded myself that I don't like rye. PVWFRR is the only rye I really enjoy and thought maybe that is not a normal rye.

Back to Hirsch 25 rye

Color - deep amber and hate to say it, just beautiful.

Nose - this is a huge surprised. I am still sniffing it with deep inhales. I am one that really dislike the alcohol volatiles and the best I had for the nose is the VVOF. For a rye this is so balance and the alcohol volatiles is extremely mild if any. However, it is quite complex and many tones that I can pick up but can't describe. Instantly something like butterscotch and very nice fresh and some sweetness. Hahaha, I keep inhaling it deeply!

All this carry nicely into the taste hitting softly the front and middle of the tongue but leaving you thinking how nice and complex it is.

The finish is so well balance with no burn and with a nice super small following of the spice just to let you know it's rye, baby.

I love the sweetness of the wheater but this only has a hint of sweetness but that's all it needed. Wow, I've been obsessed with SW and wheater, now I'm opening up to a whole new dimension I think.

And all this was a neat tasting and loving it. I almost started with the ice but this is so nice that it should be enjoy neat. I will try in the future with the ice and a splash of water but neat was just splendid and probably the best way to go considering the proof. Not hot and spicy as I was fearing for a rye. I think now that is a bad stereotyping for all rye.

This is definitely a must have and I'm going for another pour.

senede8u.jpg

Edited by p_elliott

On my goodness. This is just wonderful. This is definitely a must have and I'm going for another pour.
Welcome to the club!Rye's like this completely break the stereotype of what most people have in mind what a rye is, mostly because they are so different from anything young, and really are in a class by themselves.Just looking at that glass, I can practically smell it. That lingering, deep, mysterious nose, draws you in, and holds you captive as you savor it.B Edited by p_elliott

Couldn't help it, popped open the Hirsch 25 rye at 12:35am! It is well before last call right?

On my goodness. This is just wonderful.

I really find this one tired and over oaked, well past it's prime and suggested dump day.

Edited by p_elliott

Have been alternating through the lower end of the spectrum lately,Willett 4yr.,Ritt BIB and Baby Saz all great for the money,all so very different and most enjoyable.

Enjoying a pour of baby saz. The nose is nice--like the citrus/orange note--and the very dry finish is interesting. Very much agree with wainwright.

Started the evening off with a healthy pour of Angels Envy rye... Still dont' know what to think of it.. The rum and rye mingling got the old gears grinding in my head and lo and behold I had a bottle of V21 sitting next to a Zaya 12 yr rum on my bar.. I mixed 1/3 Zaya with 2/3 V21 and the results are delicious. The woodiness of the V21 offsets the sweetness of the rum. It is a bit difficult to pour rum into an overaged rye but I like the results so much I think I might try this again

Edited by michaelturtle1

That sounds really interesting. I need to be more experimental about vatting. I always think the mixes posted here sound great but rarely try anything on my own.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!