What Rye Are You Drinking? Spring 2013

LostBottle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Finished off a Willett 4yr from TPS last night.The longer this bottle was open the more it seemed to improve and the added bonus of the gritty last pour was rather nice.

Finishing my bottle of PVWFRR. It's been open for a long time. The nose is just incredible just like the Hirsch rye.

Not sure if it is cause it's been open for a long time but there is a very slight bitterness (maybe dry) at the end when drinking it. The H25/22r seems smoother.

Just lovely!!

Cheers

Hugh

Tried AE Rye for the first time last night & like others here, it's going to take a few more visits to get my head around this one. I do like it though.

VWFRR tonight, because damnit, I deserve it.
I'd say that statement is questionable at best!:grin:

Going back again to my Jefferson's 10 year. Don't know what's changed, me, the whiskey, the day, or all, but I'm enjoying it just fine. Still very sweet, but plenty of spice front and center.

Did a JPS18 then ECBP now enjoying a Hirsch 22 rye.

I used to liie the nose of the SW, but this aged rye nose is much more alluring!

Had Saz 18 x2 and Handyx1 last night. Saz #2 tasted even better as some guys dad picked up the round for the couple of us hanging out late at the hotel bar.

That's some pretty nice southern hospitality!

B

Sampling many ryes tonight. Trying to work my head around a blend to bring to the KBF. I may be in over my head. But I'm enjoying the homework!

Sampling many ryes tonight. Trying to work my head around a blend to bring to the KBF. I may be in over my head. But I'm enjoying the homework!

Starting with some Hirsch 22 rye. Taste is good but the nose is out of this world. I think about nosing it more often than drinking it, thinking if that is a problem. :)

Finished the pour just typing this. Going for the H25r now.

Probably jumping to the HW21 after, we'll see.

Hugh

Starting with some Hirsch 22 rye. Taste is good but the nose is out of this world. I think about nosing it more often than drinking it, thinking if that is a problem. :)

Hugh

You hit on something that I don't think has, or can, be said enough about these ryes, the nose.

The Hirsch series, Rathskeller, Saz, etc..... they are incredibly fragrant compared to most anything else. Young ryes, bourbons, almost nothing holds competition to the rich, aromatic aroma that wafts seductively from the glass.

I had a women asked me recently when at a bar in Louisville, why I was so into smelling a empty glass, I handed it other and told her to take a whiff, the lok said it all before that words came out of her mouth, "That's good", she then proceded to hand it to her husband, i think??, he gave the same conclusion. Saz 18 was in the glass.

These rare beasts are the kings of the the nose, IMHO.

B

WT101, Jefferson's and '12 Handy ryes tonight. A 1:1:1 blend was excellent, and a good way to stretch the 2x more expensive Handy.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!