What Rye Are You Drinking? Spring 2013

LostBottle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Had a mini of Jim Beam Rye - won't be repeating that error. It's not bad, it's just not good, either. Not worth buying again, in my book. Followed it with a Dickel Rye pour, aah, now there's some flavor. I don't get the pickle juice some mention, tho.

Willett 5yr tonight. No reason, just the front bottle from the shelf.

B

I'm drinking the same! I really like the finish on it.

Dug a new-old bottle of Wild Turkey Rye 101 from the vault. Haven't had a bottle open in a few months and, boy, did I miss this stuff. Pretty much my favorite whiskey--Still hoarding five sealed bottles and one open. Also, located a store with a few more bottles available. Heading over in a few days to clean 'em out.

Baby Saz. First bottle I came to and it had been a while. Might have to find something else to kick it up a notch and get a little more spice. Looks like a Ritt 23 to finish the night off. Definitely a rye night for me.

I saddled up to the bar and decided to become familiar with Whistlepig 111; I am glad I bought a well-priced dram and not an overpriced bottle. To me, the WP111 came off as a bit astringent and the 100% rye mash bill of this thing seemed boring compared to other whisk(e)ys in this price range. While I have not done a side-by-side with the WP10, my memory says despite the lower proof, I probably like it more as it lacks some of the more tannic qualities. Is Whistlepig 111 bad? No. Is Whistlepig 111 good? No.

All of this said, I think I am just starting to find the super-high-rye mash bills tiresome. As I was telling another member, the 100% Albertas and 95% LDIs just seem to lack the complexity that I get from something with even a little bit of corn in it. Take the High West 16 for instance, that 10% corn and bit of extra malt really added depth and nuance that made it special, while still being very spicy.

The pitch about 95%-100% rye being super awesome is something I am not buying anymore (figuratively and literally). I think it is really a way for a few places to take advantage of market supply constraints and sell whiskey, originally destined as a flavoring ingredient, as a premium product at a premium price.

Edited by LostBottle

I've come to the same conclusion Will, these flavoring whiskys lack complexity and are not worth some high premium.

Tried Dickel Rye for the first time today. I really enjoyed it. It is more subtle than some ryes but I thought it was balanced. The spice, mint, and oak all seemed to be in harmony to me. I tried it neat and on the rocks.

I looked at the bottle a bit and it is not designated as "straight" rye whiskey. Nor is it called a blend. As far as I can tell it is only called a rye whiskey. Is it possible that it was aged at LDI in used cooperage? It then supposedly goes through the Tennessee process of being leached through maple charcoal. I also noticed that it is bottled in CT. Does it go from Indiana to Tennessee to CT?

Anyways, I think it is worth the price I paid ($21) and it is a good thing to have around when Baby Saz is hard to find like it is currently around here (MN). The most important thing is that it tasted good to me and the price point is in my wheelhouse.

Having a pour of VWFRR before heading out to see Justin Townes Earle.

Tried Dickel Rye for the first time today. I really enjoyed it. It is more subtle than some ryes but I thought it was balanced. The spice, mint, and oak all seemed to be in harmony to me. I tried it neat and on the rocks.

I looked at the bottle a bit and it is not designated as "straight" rye whiskey. Nor is it called a blend. As far as I can tell it is only called a rye whiskey. Is it possible that it was aged at LDI in used cooperage? It then supposedly goes through the Tennessee process of being leached through maple charcoal. I also noticed that it is bottled in CT. Does it go from Indiana to Tennessee to CT?

Anyways, I think it is worth the price I paid ($21) and it is a good thing to have around when Baby Saz is hard to find like it is currently around here (MN). The most important thing is that it tasted good to me and the price point is in my wheelhouse.

That's a good price IMO. I got it for $32 which I feel is high but it is good whiskey. I did a 1:1 vatting of Ritt BIB and Dickel Rye the other night, talk about a good pairing! The Ritt added a little complexity from the corn that Dickel lacks. I may have to do a larger vatting to keep on hand.

Eric

Edited by LostBottle

The different treatment Dickel gives the rye is what I find appealing.

I find it's less grassy/minty than Bulleit rye, most likely due to the charcoal filtering. Doesn't taste sooty though.

Eric

I don't find a sooty quality in the Tennessee whiskys though I've seen the term used for years.

Baby Saz, three ways: neat, in a Sazerac, and now with some Cocchi Vermouth di Torino, Fee's rhubarb bitters and a lemon twist in a Manhattan. This bottle is getting light.

Wrong topic, sorry

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Never wrong with a beautiful cup like that. I really need to get a couple, not for any practical purposes, but just for the beauty of them.

B

Whistle Pig this evening,one that I haven't revisited in quite some time and really don't know why,just a great pour indeed.I love the sweet entry followed by the signature prickly pear finish,just really on par for this evening.

Baby Saz hit the bin last night after giving it's last pour, then a followup with WTRR Rye.

Saz is the winner between the two. The WT is thinner in body, and shorter on flavor. Maybe it's a off bottle, but Saz never seems to disappoint.

B

Jefferson 10 year tonight. Hits the spot.

I just picked up a Jefferson 10 myself and I really like it.

I do like it for what it is on its own, but actually tonight I pureed a 50/50 mingling of Jefferson and Rittenhouse BIB, and man oh man is it rich, deep, and tasty.

I pureed a 50/50 mingling of Jefferson and Rittenhouse BIB, and man oh man is it rich, deep, and tasty.

I wonder if there is a SB-Rye Blend in the works here? :-)

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!