Stolen (by consumption) Premium Whiskey in Pa.

jtexaslonestar
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Another thread about the pre-pro PA rye has been merged in.

Another thread about the pre-pro PA rye has been merged in.

Perhaps the title of this one should be changed to something a little more clear? Seems that this thread has gotten missed quite a few times.

Every thread that has been merged in has started in the General Bourbon section, so folks aren't looking in the right place to start.

That's OK, I think I get a free pour of an aged rye once the merged thread count hits double digits. :)

Edited by callmeox

Interesting that a wealthy industrialist chose Rye over Bourbon.
It's a PA thing.

Amen my Keystone brother! Long live PA Rye!!

The only thing I've learned from this thread is drinking out of the bottle leaves DNA evidence.

According to the news report, the caretaker was caught when his DNA was found in the saliva he left on three of the bottles. He really should have wiped the bottles down after he finished them....

Someone needs to get this guy a glencairn or distillers copita.......

If you're gonna drink the whiskey, why don't you bother to refill with a similar colored rot-gut? You know, like those eBay sellers. Free is great, but cheap is nice, too.

As for the appraisal, maybe 4 bottles would command that premium, but a hundred bottles sold at once would cause severe price erosion.

Edited by MauiSon

• 1 month later...

SCOTTDALE, Pa. (AP) — A former mansion caretaker denied that he drank four dozen bottles of well-aged whiskey worth $100,000, claiming it would have been unsafe to drink and saying the booze had "evaporated" instead.

http://www.local12.com/mostpopular/story/Caretaker-Denies-Drinking-102-000-Worth-Of-Whiskey/yjtY2AgKfEah4L6O8a7w0g.cspx''>http://www.local12.com/mostpopular/story/Caretaker-Denies-Drinking-102-000-Worth-Of-Whiskey/yjtY2AgKfEah4L6O8a7w0g.cspx' rel="external nofollow">

http://www.local12.com/mostpopular/story/Caretaker-Denies-Drinking-102-000-Worth-Of-Whiskey/yjtY2AgKfEah4L6O8a7w0g.cspx

Doesn't bother me a bit. That's another thread merge complete toward my free pour. :)

It apparently takes the news a long time to get to Japan.

oops. ... I posted a week late and in the wrong area :rolleyes: ... now it's where it belongs, just a week and 40 posts too late :blush:

• 2 months later...

Why would he drink it straight from the bottle? Gulping down and not sipping. I don't think he is drinking for enjoyment but likely have some "problem".

Restitution is probably hard getting it from someone who may not be able to pay and fairly old.

Hmm... won't the value if the remaining bottles increase since there are so many fewer of them now? Surely the stone-cold, lead pipe lock "estimated" value of $2500ea before the larceny can be made to be $7500 now.

Interesting how the trusted family friend (ie employee) may not have been as much a friend as she chose to remember it. Suppressed anger at employer?

They ought to give that guy a medal!!!!! That whiskey had no chance of being consumed unless it was free (to someone) god bless the man who knows what whiskey is for. It's not a goddam painting ya know

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.