Rittenhouse rye BIB

TheNovaMan
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Can't wait to get a 1 and compare.

Blind tastings are in order to measure how different they are and the different tastes, mouth feel, and finishes between the 2.

If anyone can pick up a 2013 Pikesville Rye, it's likely HH and might have been for nearly a year, as it's only 3 years old (well, minimum 3 years). I bought a bottle a few months ago, and it tasted like a slightly watery HH yellow label BiB, but I didn't have a Ritt BiB at the time to compare it to. No idea if it was HH or the end of the BF run, but I think it's a good bet the current stuff is HH.

Heaven Hill made stuff in Oregon now. Only one bottle on the shelf. I held off since my shelf is literally overflowing.

To stoke the hoarding mentality, I should mention I can no longer find the 354 bottling in my town.

Thanks for the notes. Sounds like the already bourbony Ritt BIB took a step closer to bourbon.

When you say "oilier mouthfeel," do you mean it seems more viscous?

Correct on both counts. The mouthfeel seems more tame to me. The whiskey in general, really. I'll need more time with it, but my current stance is that the 354 is my preferred rye.

Heaven Hill made stuff in Oregon now. Only one bottle on the shelf. I held off since my shelf is literally overflowing.

Do you not have a crawl space?

If anyone's in a tight spot, I have access to at least three 354s.

Unlike the Rittenhouse, which as a BIB can only be the product of one distillery during one season, the Pikesville can be a mixture of whiskey from both distilleries and different ages. Not saying it is, but it can be.

If anyone's in a tight spot, I have access to at least three 354s.

Haven't we had years of anticipation to bunker all the Ritt354 we desired? Even so, I picked up another bottle yesterday. Haven't seen the Ritt1 yet.

Yeah, you know the bunkers got ya covered, Chuck. Not everyone needs a bunker, but access to a bunker sure is dandy.

I still see Old Overholt with the 4 yr age statement on the shelves (and that changed several months back), so I'm counting on there being enough overlap to get one of each for a side by side. Unless Bill gets a DSP-1 first and finds it pales in comparison and cleans out Atlanta :lol:

I still see Old Overholt with the 4 yr age statement on the shelves (and that changed several months back), so I'm counting on there being enough overlap to get one of each for a side by side. Unless Bill gets a DSP-1 first and finds it pales in comparison and cleans out Atlanta :lol:

Gary, never hurts to bunker a few of what you like, especially at $18/bottle.:grin: That's some whiskey bang for your buck.

My hope is that the DSP-1 will be as good or better. And with HH making the juice, I think there's a good chance of that. But, it will still be different. Still haven't seen the 1, but can't wait to do a SBS, even better a blind SBS.

Just saw another DSP1, this time at the Smokerise bottle shop out near Stone Mountain. They are beginning to spread out across Atlanta...

Better get that bunker going Bill!

:cool:

I just picked up a DSP-354 (mostly just an excuse to stop in Jackie's!) Having my first pour of it, and wondering why it took me this long to buy a bottle.

Bill - I hope you're right that the DSP-1 is even better than this, but if it is just as good, I'll be happy. And you're right - at $18 a bottle you can't beat it!

Bruce - looking forward to see it in Cobb. I checked just two stores and didn't see any. I definitely want to do a blind SBS comparison before I buy another 354. With my luck, I'd stock up on it and find the DSP-1 is the bomb :lol:

Man I wish I knew a place to get some for $18! I haven't even seen it online anywhere under $22. The one place I know that still has some DSP354 around here has it for $26.99 and laughed at me when I asked for a deal if I bought multiples. My regular store said his distributor told him it won't be back around until September (I'm assuming that will be the DSP-1's). Once the bottle I have is gone $27 is going to start looking pretty good I think.

Edited by RVTsteve

Cheapest I've seen it for recently is ~$24. Most places sell it for $30 now.

Seven months ago it was $20 everywhere.

I have yet to see any DSP-1's yet in my area,but I can't wait to do a SBS on them.I was weary in advance and have plenty of 354's already tucked away.....call me a pessimist I guess.

same here. I bought the last bottle on the shelf from my local guy about a month ago, and I'm doing my best to nurse slowly. On the upside he got a case of baby Saz. On the downside it's priced at $29. Ritt has been $20 for as long as he's carried it.

The internet allows us to compare prices everywhere but also allows merchants to set prices based on trends.

I swear, some people on this board think liquor retailers have the cunning of a James Bond villain.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.