Rittenhouse rye BIB

TheNovaMan
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

In my case the retailer has had the same inventory and prices for at least a year. In this case I guess the market price is catching up to their mark ups.

I've seen Ritt BIB for $18.99 and as much as $22.99 (which is a big swing in terms of percentage, but I've come to learn that some retailers have fairly consistent better prices on some brands than others). At the end of the day - if someone had put a taste in front of me and asked "Would you buy that for $25 a bottle?" - I think I would have answered in the affirmative.

Bought a bottle based on all the good run its getting on this board. Sitting on the back porch with some, and a cigar right now.

Got it today for $30.

I've seen Ritt BIB for $18.99 and as much as $22.99 (which is a big swing in terms of percentage, but I've come to learn that some retailers have fairly consistent better prices on some brands than others). At the end of the day - if someone had put a taste in front of me and asked "Would you buy that for $25 a bottle?" - I think I would have answered in the affirmative.

Agreed completely, its by far my favorite rye, the fact that its such a bargain is just bonus.

The DSP-1 is now in my area. I picked up a bottle yesterday and had about an ounce or so of it. My first impression was that it's so close to the HH gold label BiB that I likely wouldn't question it if someone gave me a glass and told me it were so. The main difference isn't in the taste but the finish, as the Ritt has a nice, spicy flourish at the end. My second impression was that this would sell for half the price if the label said "bourbon" instead of "rye".

I don't have a DSP-354 to do a comparison. From memory, I'd say the 354 is a bit more complex but has more off flavors, like a wet cardboard taste that really puts me off. The HH Ritt has quite a clean, clear profile. I don't much like either of them neat, but this should do nicely as a mixer

I still haven't seen DSP-1 in my area - which may be due in part to the folks who carry Ritt BIB still having loads of DSP-354 stock.

I just picked up a DSP-354 (mostly just an excuse to stop in Jackie's!) Having my first pour of it, and wondering why it took me this long to buy a bottle.

Bill - I hope you're right that the DSP-1 is even better than this, but if it is just as good, I'll be happy. And you're right - at $18 a bottle you can't beat it!

Bruce - looking forward to see it in Cobb. I checked just two stores and didn't see any. I definitely want to do a blind SBS comparison before I buy another 354. With my luck, I'd stock up on it and find the DSP-1 is the bomb :lol:

Gary, I've bunkered some 354's, just because I really like it, esp at the price. I just found a DSP 1 at Green's--thanks Bruce. It'll be fun to do some SBS and then some blind tastings to test the difference. Work, Work, Work....:lol:

Guess we'll just have to do our part to reduce that stock.

When the right man steps up at the right time... well, that's how heroes are born.

Gary, I've bunkered some 354's, just because I really like it, esp at the price. I just found a DSP 1 at Green's--thanks Bruce. It'll be fun to do some SBS and then some blind tastings to test the difference. Work, Work, Work....:lol:

Look forward to your thoughts on the two! Which Green's had it? Might have to make a special trip out to pick one up! I do like the 354's as well - just hoping if I like them better I can slowly accumulate some :)

• 2 months later...

DSP-KY-1 showed up roughly a week ago at my favorite store. There's still DSP-KY-354 on the shelf too. I would have bought some, but they also had Baby Saz, so I decided to go for that instead due to the recent availability difficulties.

DSP-KY-1 showed up roughly a week ago at my favorite store. There's still DSP-KY-354 on the shelf too. I would have bought some, but they also had Baby Saz, so I decided to go for that instead due to the recent availability difficulties.

None of these on my shelves right now and when I walk in tomorrow and they're there I'd buy all three.

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up a bottle of the DSP-354 last night, only one of about 12 bottles of the shelf, the rest were DSP-1. Haven't had either yet but saw Rittenhouse on the shelf yesterday afternoon, was curious, and came back here to read about it. Figured I'd go for the 354 since it was there.

I had a glass of Rittenhouse BIB (DSP 354) the other night, right after I finished off a bottle of Larceny. Boy, there's a contrast for you, but it really brought all the weird but wonderful, hard-to-describe flavors in the Rittenhouse. Maybe that's a thread, good 1 - 2 punches.

Found some of the 354 version today at a local store to go along with the 2 bottles of new make I picked up a few weeks ago. At some point I'll try them side by side to see if I can taste a difference. I don't know if the 1 version has actually arrived in WA yet or not, we have very few stores that actually have Ritt in stock and I picked mine up online.

I just tried the Ritt BIB DSP 354.

A while back I jumped onto the rye band wagon and over the last several months have tasted lots of different ryes. I've enjoyed most of them, but they always left me wanting. The young ones had nice flavor notes but a thin mouth feel. The older ones were OK too, but tasted a little over oaked to my palate.

This Ritt BIB is like no other! When I first nosed and sipped it I immediately thought "furniture polish." But after a little water and air time I was treated to one of the most unique and delicious whiskeys I've had yet- rye or otherwise. The rich grade B maple syrup entry turns into chewy cinnamon and rye bread with hints of eucalyptus. The oak finish has a good bit of char, is slightly bitter (in a good way) and the spices hold on nicely too. Now I know why so many people regard this as a tremendous value, and bar tenders favor it in cocktails. Can't wait to try it in a Manhattan.

By the way. The label says it is a Pennsylvania style rye. Can anyone tell me if that is what makes this rye taste different from most others or is that mostly a marketing statement?

I'd say it's mostly a marketing statement, as Heaven Hill makes the rye it makes. The Rittenhouse brand is named for Rittenhouse Square in Philadelphia. The eastern Pennsylvania style would have been in contrast to the western or Monongahela style, and probably similar to the Maryland style. There is some evidence that the Monongahela style was distinguished by aging in new charred oak barrels, while the Maryland and Pennsylvania styles may have been highly doctored with added flavors, as was common practice at the time. We don't really know a lot about it.

Thanks for the info. Apparently no antique bottles of these styles survived till now so we don't know for sure exactly what they tasted like. In any case, HH is doing a fine job of making this a distinctive and delicious pour at a price we can afford.

BTW I'm nearly done with your "Bourbon, Straight" book. Its a very informative and entertaining read.

Thanks for the info. Apparently no antique bottles of these styles survived till now so we don't know for sure exactly what they tasted like. In any case, HH is doing a fine job of making this a distinctive and delicious pour at a price we can afford.

BTW I'm nearly done with your "Bourbon, Straight" book. Its a very informative and entertaining read.

That is not entirely accurate. If you can find some old dusty bottles of Old Overholt from the original Broadford, Pennsylvania distillery, you can taste true Pennsylvania style rye. It is decidedly different than the rye that is out in production today....and it's unbelievably delicious....but a good condition bottle will set you back a good amount of change. I've had a '53 vintage and am now sitting on a '57 bottle that I think will get cracked when something monumental happens, like my first child. :)

The original Overholt Distillery was in West Overton, but Broad Ford was built during Abraham Overholt's lifetime and is the site most associated with the brand. After Prohibition, Broad Ford only operated for a few years. National Distillers, which owned it, owned Large and some other Pennsylvania distilleries. They also bought whiskey for Overholt, all Pennsylvania-made, from Pennco (aka Michter's) and Publicker (aka Continental).

Wouldn't Overholt be considered Monongahela style, as differentiated from the eastern style that original Rittenhouse represents? Overholt and Rittenhouse were more or less the last men standing, with Overholt representing the west and Rittenhouse representing the east.

I'm jealous. I'm not sure if I've even tasted Frankfort, Kentucky Overholt let alone any from Broad Ford, Large, Pennco, or any of the other Pennsylvania distilleries that made it.

Wow. I'd sure love to try that dusty Overholt. The Overholt available now put out by Jim Beam I found to be really light and watery. Not much to it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.