Rittenhouse rye BIB

TheNovaMan
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've had some Overholt distilled in the late 60s and bottled in the early 70s but didn't keep tasting notes. I think we may have to look to the smaller producers like Leopold now to get a taste of what those old styles were like.

If you can track it down, Leopold Bros. in Colorado do an annual release of a Maryland Style rye. If they indeed captured the true essence of what that style was I'm not sure, but it is a beautiful whisky, still very much a rye but with some clear differences from the Western Pennsylvania style that prevades today.

I certainly second that. The Leopold Bros. Rye is very nice but pretty different. With a BIB reportedly in the works it is one that I am really looking forward to! Just hope it comes to Georgia. Had to work hard to get the distributor to bring the current whiskey here and I would guess the BIB is not going to be made in any greater volume than the current expression and maybe will be less available.

Enjoyed a little of this last night. Got around to looking at my bottle and it's DSP-354, which means the ones I bunkered are also this.

Edited by SLOandSteady

I certainly second that. The Leopold Bros. Rye is very nice but pretty different. With a BIB reportedly in the works it is one that I am really looking forward to! Just hope it comes to Georgia. Had to work hard to get the distributor to bring the current whiskey here and I would guess the BIB is not going to be made in any greater volume than the current expression and maybe will be less available.

Thanks for the reminder- just dropped them a note asking about the BIB Project. The prospect of one of my favorite whiskies aging a little longer and getting bottled at a little higher proof makes me giddy.

• 2 weeks later...

DSP 1 is finally in Columbia. My personal opinion is that I'm glad I have about a case of 354 in the old bunker. Tomorrow I'm going to check the 3 other stores that carry Ritt BIB to see if there is any 354 left. 10 times out of 10 in blind tastings I could pick them out correctly. I'm just not sold. It has a hint if the sweet wild yeast funky taste that I'm not crazy about. Oh we'll, I'm good for a couple of months.... jMHO

Thanks for the reminder- just dropped them a note asking about the BIB Project. The prospect of one of my favorite whiskies aging a little longer and getting bottled at a little higher proof makes me giddy.

We will be putting down the BIB Maryland Rye in greater quantities than the younger version. We're just a few weeks from dropping 5 new stills into the new distillery, and we should have them up and running in the spring. Our new distillery's entire whiskey program is based on BIB releases.

The new dunnage style warehouse will allow us to age the Maryland Rye on earthen floors with no heating or cooling. I think you'll be pleased with the BIB version. We have a couple of barrels we have held back in our current plant, and they are coming along nicely.

Truly appreciate the interest!

We will be putting down the BIB Maryland Rye in greater quantities than the younger version. . . . . Our new distillery's entire whiskey program is based on BIB releases. . . . .

Learn from the past, embrace the present and work towards the future.

We will be putting down the BIB Maryland Rye in greater quantities than the younger version. We're just a few weeks from dropping 5 new stills into the new distillery, and we should have them up and running in the spring. Our new distillery's entire whiskey program is based on BIB releases.

The new dunnage style warehouse will allow us to age the Maryland Rye on earthen floors with no heating or cooling. I think you'll be pleased with the BIB version. We have a couple of barrels we have held back in our current plant, and they are coming along nicely.

Truly appreciate the interest!

Sounds wonderful! I will continue to look forward to this one.

On the back porch with a pour of the Ritt and a nice full bodied cigar. I'm hard pressed to name

a Rye I like better, especially at this price. Just outstanding with a stronger cigar.

On the back porch with a pour of the Ritt and a nice full bodied cigar. I'm hard pressed to name

a Rye I like better, especially at this price. Just outstanding with a stronger cigar.

Amen to all of that. Going to pick up a bottle tomorrow. I never keep one in the bunker since it is so readily available.

Hard to believe it's 50ABV. No burn at all! Compared to a OGD BIB,which I like, NO comparison.

• 2 months later...
DSP 1 is finally in Columbia. My personal opinion is that I'm glad I have about a case of 354 in the old bunker. Tomorrow I'm going to check the 3 other stores that carry Ritt BIB to see if there is any 354 left. 10 times out of 10 in blind tastings I could pick them out correctly. I'm just not sold. It has a hint if the sweet wild yeast funky taste that I'm not crazy about. Oh we'll, I'm good for a couple of months.... jMHO

I'm with you. Did a SBS with DSP 1 and 354. Strong family resemblance but ended up saying, "What happened to my Ritt?" The 354 has a lot of honey that carries right through the finish; great mouth feel; pleasant spice; better nose. The DSP 1 seemed more complex and more intense. More cloves and some dark chocolate. But it seemed a little rough around the edges. Finish is important to me and the old Ritt was superior. On an intellectual level, I can make a case for liking DSP 1 but 354 is/was just a more pleasant pour. Unfortunately, I'm not "good for a couple of months." Down to just a couple pours of 354.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.