Cheap (free) flasks

ChainWhip
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I got a free flask from a recent Bourbon event and I filled it with some OGD114 for my trip. I cleaned it out with hot water and I noticed the "Made in China" sticker but thought it'd be ok... Well, I just poured some and the bourbon's turned almost green w/ grey colloidal swirls :-(

Do you guys use these el cheapo flasks? If so, do you ever check for whisky discoloration?

(Good thing my other "Made in Japan"/Titanium flask has been rock solid - always have a backup)

Edited by ChainWhip

I was given a made in China flask, supposedly stainless steel, and I washed it with soap and water before using it. The instructions that came with it say not to store anything in it for long periods of time, but I've never had any problems. The Chinese are not known for excellence in quality control though, so maybe I just got lucky.

Well, good thing my brother has a good working flask I can use and I'm raiding his stash to fill. :-)

Should be ok - I'm on a boat to the Carribeans and Mexico so there should be plenty of opportunity to booze hunt on the trip

I recently received my 'Band of Rebels' flask in the mail and checked the inside welds with my mini-mirror tool. Never saw finer stainless steel welds - guess I got a good one.

I picked up a bunch of 200ml bottles of HH bonds in Kentucky and I use those for travelers instead of flasks. Easier to replace and no chance of succumbing to poor manufacturing QC.

I picked up a bunch of 200ml bottles of HH bonds in Kentucky and I use those for travelers instead of flasks. Easier to replace and no chance of succumbing to poor manufacturing QC.

Yes, that is what I would suggest too. I have also re-used maple syrup bottles. They make an excellent flask.

I have several stainless steel flasks. Among them, ones from Rebel Yell and Evan Williams. I used to use them a lot with no problems at all. I never kept alcohol in them for long periods of time, and I cleaned them regularly. I've gotten away from using flasks though. I now use 2 and 4 oz sample bottles, and empty 200 ml and 375 ml bottles.

I have a cheapie Dewars flask that is my regular carry. No issues so far. I've had it several years.

• 4 weeks later...

Reusing 200ml glass bottles is a good idea but doesn't work very well when bombing down a run on my mountain bike (from a safety perspective).

On another note, I saw this a few weeks ago where this person made whisky packets from plastic bags/vacuum sealer:

http://imgur.com/a/eU8uv

I got a free flask from a recent Bourbon event and I filled it with some OGD114 for my trip. I cleaned it out with hot water and I noticed the "Made in China" sticker but thought it'd be ok... Well, I just poured some and the bourbon's turned almost green w/ grey colloidal swirls :-(

Do you guys use these el cheapo flasks? If so, do you ever check for whisky discoloration?

(Good thing my other "Made in Japan"/Titanium flask has been rock solid - always have a backup)

• 10 months later...
What you experienced was the organic elements of the whiskey interacting with iron. You shouldn't have that problem with true stainless steal, but just a little bit of iron can really mess up a batch of whiskey. I have "heard" stories of entire batches of whiskey being ruined when stored in the improper type of steel drum. I have also heard some of people running into problems from bad welds / wrong metal used in parts of the actual still. Distilleries won't use nails on barrels, because if they contact the whiskey, you could end up with a entire barrel of green/black/grey whiskey.

But, the good news, it is totally safe to drink.

Toss those China flasks out, they very well could have delicious lead welds. No foolin!

Reusing 200ml glass bottles is a good idea but doesn't work very well when bombing down a run on my mountain bike (from a safety perspective).

On another note, I saw this a few weeks ago where this person made whisky packets from plastic bags/vacuum sealer:

http://imgur.com/a/eU8uv

Pretty clever. I've never used the seal-a-meal i got awhile back. Gonna give this a try. I even have a jacket with a hidden money pocket....

Edited by Enoch

I have a cheapie Dewars flask that is my regular carry. No issues so far. I've had it several years.

Funny play on words. I use a dewer flask to transport liquid nitrogen on occassion.

• 3 weeks later...

I went on a trip, brought a couple of flasks. The nicer one was filled with cask strength corn from Balcones. Probably still made in China, but higher quality flask than the second. The cheap flask was purchased at Academy (a sporting goods store that covers much of the South) and filled with Vodka. I washed it with PBW (Powdered Brewery Wash) then soap, using hot water, many times and hot rinse. When I went to pour it the vodka (about three weeks later) it was grey. Academy did not approve my comment for the product review on their website, buyer beware.

Now I'm going to make you watch my vacation pictures...

25f3uvo.jpg

There you go, True Blue with two continents in the same picture. The "Blue Mosque" in the background. Didn't bother with a photo of the grey vodka.

I went on a trip, brought a couple of flasks. The nicer one was filled with cask strength corn from Balcones. Probably still made in China, but higher quality flask than the second. The cheap flask was purchased at Academy (a sporting goods store that covers much of the South) and filled with Vodka. I washed it with PBW (Powdered Brewery Wash) then soap, using hot water, many times and hot rinse. When I went to pour it the vodka (about three weeks later) it was grey. Academy did not approve my comment for the product review on their website, buyer beware.

Now I'm going to make you watch my vacation pictures...

25f3uvo.jpg

There you go, True Blue with two continents in the same picture. The "Blue Mosque" in the background. Didn't bother with a photo of the grey vodka.

• 2 weeks later...
Lovely picture - Turkey is near the top of my list of places to experience!

It ain't no Bourbon Trail as far as drink goes, but THE FOOD is what it's all about! I know I'll gain 10+ lbs there and enjoy every minute of it! Many cool places to see, and very friendly locals. Efes beer is non-offensive. Raki was a new experience, served with fish and a souvineer to take back unless someone in the know points out a good bottle of wine.

The flask was filled from a gifted bottle of TB 10-5 for the record.

I would imagine all the walking would help a little with the ballooning waistline but I can imagine how good the food is there! Well done sir.

At the Taipei Zoo there are these groovy 400 ml curved plastic flasks with removable belt clips that contain water. Well of course I had to buy 2! First I have to remove that nasty old water :P

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.