What Cocktail Are Enjoying Spring '13?

Alphanumeric
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

In compliance with compliance's reminder, a seasonally fitting thread is in order.

Binny's had a 15% off Saturday this past weekend, which meant I had some shopping to do.

I've opened a bottle of Hiram Walker Triple Sec and Big Gin gin. I'd read several respectable sources citing the HW as an affordable Cointreau competitor in terms of mixing. Tonight, I performed a none-too scientific head-to-head of Cointreau and the HW. The HW was sweeter, lower proof, less complex and bitter, and more candy orange than orange peel. As expected, a clearly inferior sipper.

After, I tried it in my first White Lady (2 pts Tanqueray, 1 pt HW triple sec, 1 pt lemon juice). It was pretty good. I'll need to do a head-to-head but my impression was that the lower proof and less interesting flavor detrimented the drink.

I'm inclined to say that, when it's at least 1/4 of the drink, the HW produces an inferior cocktail. However, given the $20+ price difference between a bottle of that and a bottle of Cointreau, it's probably not worth arguing over for a casual drink.

As for the Big Gin, I've yet to mix it but I can say with certainty that it's a damn fine gin. I've got a handful of gins lying around, but none have struck a chord with me like Big Gin.

My traditional spring cocktail has been the Negroni, but with all of the brown liquor piling up around the house I started with a Boulevardier last night: 2 parts Baby Saz, 1 part Dolin Rouge vermouth and 1 part Campari. As the bastard child of the Negroni and the Manhattan, I'm not sure it beats either of its parents, but was a bit more warming for a cool evening. I'd say it's worth a try.

• 2 weeks later...

I normally stick to fairly basic Manhattan and Old Fashioned recipes, but I do try to expand my selection to include slightly more refreshing drinks during the hotter months. One of my favorites is the El Diablo.

1 1/2 ounce tequila

1/2 ounce crème de cassis

1/2 ounce fresh lime juice

1 1/2 ounce ginger beer

Combine the first three ingredients in an ice filled shake and shake until cold. Strain over ice into a rocks glass and top with ginger beer. Garnish with a lime wheel.

Made a slough of drinks for me and the wifey tonight:

Barrel aged Negroni

Grasshopper

Army Navy

...and the first Mint Julep of the year with the handle of dusty I.W. Harper I picked up this afternoon!

Bourbon Manhattan made with Barton.

squire, you realize being made with Barton is not a requisite for being labeled a cocktail?

squire, you realize being made with Barton is not a requisite for being labeled a cocktail?

Do you have to stir it with a peacock feather for it to be a real cocktail?

GT Manhattan at GT Fish & Oyster in Chicago last night

2 oz Old Forester, 3/4 oz Carpano Antica, 1/4 oz Averna Amaro, couple dashes Angostura Bitters

I've got the CA and AA at home, so I'm gonna be making these a lot

In preparation for my Derby trip next week, I made my first mint julep of the year using the 4R 100th Anniversary SB. I've always thought that older, woodier bourbon works best in a julep, and this 17 yo 4R is doing just fine!

It looks like my cocktail this Spring is going to be the Negroni. I am making them with 1 oz each of Tanqueray gin, Campari, and Carpano Antica Formula vermouth. This is basically Cocktail Heaven!

Tim

Do you have to stir it with a peacock feather for it to be a real cocktail?

At a minimum!

It looks like my cocktail this Spring is going to be the Negroni. I am making them with 1 oz each of Tanqueray gin, Campari, and Carpano Antica Formula vermouth. This is basically Cocktail Heaven!

Tim

There exists a cocktail called the Negroni Sbagliato, a fact I only unearthed while researching the Sbagliato Grosso. It is a Negroni (or more appropriately, an Americano) with sparkling white in place of gin, or soda water, take your pick. I look forward to making one.

But back to the Sbagliato Grosso I stirred myself tonight:

1 hulled strawberry

1 1/2 oz Cognac (Remy VSOP)

1 oz Campari

1 oz sweet Vermouth (Dolin)

1/2 oz pastis (1/3 oz Pacifique absinthe)

2 dashes Angostura

In rocks glass, press- not muddle- strawberry. Add rest of ingredients and ice, stir and enjoy with twists of orange and lemon.

The Negroni has always been too vermouthy for me. The Grosso de-emphasises the vermouth and shines the limelight on bright fruit, Campari, and anise. Worth a go if you're in the mood for experimentation.

At a minimum!

There exists a cocktail called the Negroni Sbagliato, a fact I only unearthed while researching the Sbagliato Grosso. It is a Negroni (or more appropriately, an Americano) with sparkling white in place of gin, or soda water, take your pick. I look forward to making one.

I definitely think of the Negroni Sbagliato as more of an Americano variation and I have heard it suggested that it should be called an Americano Migliorato rather than a Negroni Sbagliato!

Just about a month ago, I enjoyed a cocktail I don't have often enough. First, I don't actually drink cocktails often and second, I don't get this one often enough. But I digress. So about a month ago I was in New Orleans. It had been awhile since I visited the Sazerac Bar in the Roosevelt Hotel. I enjoyed the Sazerac cocktail this time so well I had a second. Made just the way I like it.

1 cube sugar

1½ ounces (35ml) Sazerac Rye Whiskey or Buffalo Trace Bourbon

¼ ounce Herbsaint

3 dashes Peychaud's Bitters

Lemon peel

Pack an Old-Fashioned glass with ice

In a second Old-Fashioned glass place the sugar cube and add the Peychaud's Bitters to it, then crush the sugar cube

Add the Sazerac Rye Whiskey to the second glass containing the Peychaud's Bitters and sugar

Empty the ice from the first glass and coat the glass with the Herbsaint, then discard the remaining Herbsaint

Empty the whiskey/bitters/sugar mixture from the second glass into the first glass and garnish with lemon peel

Ah, yes. The spice of the rye, the gentle sweetness, the alluring devil....

(and soon, very soon, I must make my first Mint Julep of the season! I hope my mint is growing!)

switching it up from bourbon and whiskey in general. having a gin and tonic tonight (hendricks and q tonic). i for got how much i like these. maybe move to some martin miller's westbourne with rocks and a twist.

Having a nice Ritt BiB old fashioned while catching up on the latest episode of Mad Men.

Finally had all the ingredients for a Gunshop Fizz lying around, which was incentive enough to create one of these laborious potlucks.

Gunshop Fizz

2 oz Peychaud's bitters

1 oz lemon juice

2 strawberries

3 slices cucumber

3 wide grapefruit peels

3 wide orange peels

1 oz Sanbitter (subbed .5 oz each of soda water and Campari)

Muddle all but Sanbitter for a great long time to let flavors socialize, then agitate the whole affair with some impressive chunks of ice. Once thoroughly chilled, strain and then strain again. Top the all-but Gunshop Fizz with an ounce of Sanbitter and garnish with a slice of cucumber.

I'd read much about this cocktail but never tried one. Worth a shot if you ever happen to find yourself with the necessary ingredients and feel like working for your drink.

Finally had all the ingredients for a Gunshop Fizz lying around, which was incentive enough to create one of these laborious potlucks.

Gunshop Fizz

2 oz Peychaud's bitters

1 oz lemon juice

2 strawberries

3 slices cucumber

3 wide grapefruit peels

3 wide orange peels

1 oz Sanbitter (subbed .5 oz each of soda water and Campari)

Muddle all but Sanbitter for a great long time to let flavors socialize, then agitate the whole affair with some impressive chunks of ice. Once thoroughly chilled, strain and then strain again. Top the all-but Gunshop Fizz with an ounce of Sanbitter and garnish with a slice of cucumber.

I'd read much about this cocktail but never tried one. Worth a shot if you ever happen to find yourself with the necessary ingredients and feel like working for your drink.

I would imagine that the fruit was rotted by the time you finished creating this beast!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.