snifter only please

Marvin
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

FThis is my opinion only - of all the great bourbons on the market today why is there just a handful worthy to be put in a snifter and savored for hours on end?

Let's take a look at this unique situation and look at some of my favorite bourbons. Knob Creek, Wild Turkey 12 year old, Kentucky Spirit, Kentucky Legend and let's not forget Russell's Reserve, W.L.Wellers Centennial 10 year old, A.H.Hirsch and all the Van Winkles of which I am indebted to Julian VanWinkle for bringing these fine bourbons to the market, Ezra B and the antique collection to just name a few. All of the above shows a different character - some have chocolate, butterscotch, some are flowery, some are heavy with rye, some show stone fruit, most are honeyed- so what is it that puts these bourbons and a few others worthy of a snifter? Each one with all the character, different tastes and different proofs has one thing in common - they take all the aromas, taste and not one overrides the other one, but each individual smell and taste mingles together as not to overpower one another. This is my opinion what is yours? From one bourbon lover to another - Marvin

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Marvin,

Welcome aboard! I agree with you that a good bourbon needs a good snifter glass to really appreciate the aromas it produces, but I disagree that only a few are worth this treatment. There are a lot of very good bourbon for a reasonable price that can be appreciated better with the proper glassware. My prime examples are Very Old Barton and Old Forester. Very good bourbons that do not cost an arm and a leg. They have a very complex aroma with several different layers of flavors. Great Bourbons that just invite you to enjoy them neat.

Mike Veach

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Did you go to the Linn Spencer school of bourbon appreciation? I hear he also uses tupperware bowls in a pinch.

Mike Veach

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

While I'm always happy to take a tug offen da jug, I do not own a snifter. I like a hand filling glass with a heavy base. A nice double old fashoned is what I like best. I've seen something that is like a snifter without the stem and with a heavy base called the pur glass. Pubgear sells them for an outrageous $40 a pair. Has anyone tried one and do you like it?

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. smile.gif Will Travel.

I use a small Budweiser glass with a big cork, about 2 inch dia. to seal the flavor or a half pint mason jar and lid. It would be interesting to know what fellow bourbonians use to drink from. When you crack the seal of a new bottle that is when the aroma and taste is the best. After the bottle is 2/3 gone, and sets for awhile it doesn't seem to have that new bottle taste.I guess it would be exposure to air in the bottle. Maybe it could be sealed in a smaller bottle filled to the top with no air exposure and taste better later. that is what i do, any opinions or advise? Thanks-Life is Good-Den

Hi Den,

While I know of no conclusive evidence that 'more' air inside the bottle destabilizes or deteriorates the taste/smell of my bourbon, I take no chances. I have several 2/3 size (500 ml), half size (375 ml) and 1/3 size (250 ml) empty bottles around the house to transfer my bourbon along as I work my way through a bottle -- this way I keep as little air as possible sitting in the bottle during consumption -- which could take many, many months.

Granted, every time I transfer from one bottle to another I am exposing all the contents to air, but it's a fast exchange -- the remnants are back in restricted air space within seconds. Maybe it's psychological, maybe it just looks better to have a full bottle in my cabinet, but I think it's worth the effort. Better safe than sorry.

Omar

Omar

I do believe you are right. I know for a fact that when you are bottling bourbon and you have the vaccum to high or you circulate for too long it will lower the proof.

boone

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Den I like the full pint mason jars best. They fit my hand better, and lets face it a half pint is just a tease. While a flask is pocketable, a mason jar with it's tight fitting lid & screw ring is just the thing to toss into your lunch box or briefcase before heading off for work. wink.gif

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. smile.gif Will Travel.

$40 per pair is pretty steep, though they are beautiful glassware. I'd have to keep them away from my brother though ... he goes through my glassware like there's no tomorrow.

I'm not real fond of snifters for bourbon tasting as I feel they allow the accumulation of too much vapor. This tends to overwhelm your nose.

White wine glasses work well, but the size of the opening allows for too little vapor. I found some dirt cheap ($6.99 for 4) glasses at a Mikasa factory outlet store that are sort of halfway between a white wine glass and a champagne flute, and they are perfectly suited to the task of tasting bourbon. The lower portion of the glass is only slightly smaller than a wine glass, and the opening is slightly larger than a champagne flute, the only drawback is that they are very thin and tend to break if looked at incorrectly.

Cheers,

Jim Butler

Straightbourbon.com

Just about the only thing I know of that does affect bourbon is oxygen, although oxidation in a partially full bottle is a pretty slow process. Leave an open glass of bourbon to sit for a few days and you'll get an idea of the effect. I found some Henry McKenna in a bar once that was actually made at the Fairfield distillery. All that was left in the bottle was the dregs. It wasn't awful, but the oxidation was immediately apparent.

--Chuck Cowdery

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.