Favorite Cocktail w/ Premium Bourbon

Grain Belt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Generally no. In fact I have refused customers who have ordered a Pappy and coke. Yes these people do exhist. But I have had a couple sazaracs with thomas handy and paid a lot of money for them. They were better than baby saz because of the higher proof and was able to dance better with the pechauds. But for most saz I think a 3 or four year willet 95 /5 ldi at 110 proof works splendidly. This of course isn't bourbon, and bourbon only requires a glass.

I've made killer Mint Juleps with Old Rip Van Winkle 10yo 10/107, the best Old Fashioned I've ever tasted with Vintage 23 Rye and even tipped some coke into the dregs of a pour of Pappy 23 that I really wasn't enjoying one night (it was that or tip the Pappy out). Personally I think the premium bourbons made the drink(s) much more than it normally is, but I do wonder how much of that was expectation vs. actual taste difference from using something like Makers or Beam Black.

Thanks Wryguy but I meant no scotch and wanted talk of premium bourbons being used in cocktails. I understand slipping into a rye here or there, but not scotch. :rolleyes: It reminds me of a pheasant hunting trip. We were cooking a nice meal for the farmer whose land we hunt on. We were having a few cocktails and my dad asked the farmer what he would like to drink. The farmer tried a scotch and water. He then asked, "Do you fellas have a cat around here?" We said, "No we don't, Why?" The farmer says, " Because I'd like to lick its ass to get this awful taste out of my mouth." :slappin: He then had a few bourbons and a nice steak and life was good.

I gotta use that in my conversations with Scotch drinkers :cool:

Finally the third, the Penicillin, created by some genius cocktail guru,

ORVW 10/107 makes a hell of an old fashioned in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

I may just have a burnt out palate, but I find the flavor of a quality rye stands out in a cocktail much more than a quality bourbon. I find the basic character of a bourbon shows up in a cocktail, but a lot of the more specific flavors don't really make it through. Whenever I find a bourbon that has some flavors that I really enjoy, but just isn't fully developed or well balanced, I set that aside for mixing. You get the base flavors, but your mixers take care of balancing the drink out.

I will use THH for a Old Fashioned or Sazerac, but I rarely feel a need to use a bourbon nicer than EWSB or OWA.

I compromise somewhat by using a high rye Bourbon but of course it's all good.

• 2 weeks later...

I rarely drink cocktails but, when I do, I drink Manhattans. Woodford or Buffalo Trace 3:1 or 4:1 with Vermouth, a few dashes of bitters and a small splash of maraschino cherry juice (and a few cherries) makes a nice drink. The key is heavy on the bourbon and light on everything else. Signed, the World's Least Interesting Man.

A Dublin (irish Whiskey Manhattan) can be quite tasty as well.

• 1 month later...

I find it really depends. Top quality ingredients with top shelf bourbon is a must (or for any cocktail ingredient, dont mix quality with swill ie. Top shelf tequila with fake sour mix in a margarita), however I did try a few cocktails with some premiums and all the huances were either lost, orthe drink was fsr to strong and or unbalanced.

Honestly it is fun to play around, but unless the cocktail is really simple (2-3 ingredients) , I dont do it.

Edited by imbibehour

A manhattan made with Bookers is very good. A manhattan made with VWFR rye is better.

• 3 weeks later...

Blanton's in a Manhattan is pretty great. Is Blanton's considered "premium"? A high-quality sweet vermouth is essential (Cocchi Vermouth di Torini is my fave) to pair with high-quality bourbon.

I like a stellar Noah's Mill Old Fashioned with a dash of orange bitters and a dash of chocolate bitters. Simply outstanding.

A manhattan made with Bookers is very good. A manhattan made with VWFR rye is better.

You're killing me with this! VWFRR can only be consumed one way, str8 from the bottle

Paul sure seemed sour on me in chat today when I told him about the delicious WTRR101 and coke I had on Saturday :lol:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.