My First Cigar(s)!!

tommy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've been an avid reader of the "Smokes" forum for a while now. Finally my curiosity got the better of me, and I decided to try a cigar. The salesman at Havana Connections, based on my request for a "mild" cigar suitable for a beginner, suggested a Baccarat. I also asked him for a "really good" cigar, and he suggested an A. Fuente Gran Reserva. I bought both of these, and I also picked up a Punch Gran Puro, having seen Punch come up frequently in the forum. I also bought a cheap cigar cutter and a cheap punch-style cutter that fits on my key ring. The verdict: I really enjoyed smoking these cigars! Well, I enjoyed the Punch and the Fuente; the Baccarat had a disturbing sweet taste that I found somewhat off-putting. Also, I found that I prefer the punch to the cutter.

I'm raising a glass of Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve to all the Smokes posters who inspired me to try something new! bandit.gif and drink.gif By the way, any suggestions for what to try next?

Tommy

I, like you, am not an avid cigar smoker but after reading one of Jeff's posts a while back about Pappy Van Winkle Cigar's I was interested. I ordered a 3 pack and at the suggestion of Julian himself paired it up with his 13 year Rye. I found the pairing to be rather nice and say if you want to try something different, give em' a whirl... Seeing as how it was the only cigar I have had since a Makers Mark one last festival, I really cannot offer any other suggestions. bandit.gif

Tommy,

You are certainly on the right track with Punch and Fuente, two of my favorite houses. Definately try a Fuente Hemmingway, a smooth yet full-bodied smoke with lots of nutty goodness! Also, the Punch "Rare Corojo" line are fabulous herfs, although I don't know how "rare" they are, as I can find them everywhere. Another favorite smoke of mine is the Macanudo gold-label series, though these are becoming somewhat hard to find. Padron 4000's are also nice smokes. Hope this helps. Glad to have you on board! bandit.gif

I had a Pappy cigar with the VWFRR last weekend and I will agree that this is a magical combination. I have not, however smoked a Maker's Mark cigar, or any other "bourbon-flavored" cigars. What did you think of it Mark? Was the bourbon flavor subtle, or did it stand out in the flavor of the smoke?

Jeff,

My limited experience with the Maker's Cigar is that it has a subtle hint of bourbon when sniffed before lighting. I don't pick any of it up in the smoking. Its an average Dominican at best. I don't even think its "Hecho a Mano". My rating is that its a $2 cigar in a $8 package.

In the words of Pappy himself

I prefer to sip my whiskey rather than smoke it.

skep.gif

...the only cigar I have had since a Makers Mark one...

Did it have a band fashioned of red wax? grin.gif

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Jeff,

I last smoked a cigar in 1983. At the time, Royal Jamaica was my favorite. Are they any good now?

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

I unfortunately don't have your profound nack of picking subtle flavors Jeff, but I really didn't pick up and bourbon once lit. It had the faintest hint of bourbon when I first opened it but that's about it. Honestly, for the somewhere around $12 (!) it was at Toddy's I would not get one again. But it was still nice to try one nonetheless... It was a decent smoke though and it made my drinking time with Chris at the gazeebo more enjoyable.

Haha, actually the Makers Mark cigar's come in a glass tube and are sealed on top with a stopper covered in what else but their signature dripping red wax. Heck, I've seen one's on eBay that were done for Bush's campaign back when, and one's done to coincide with some of their special KY sports teams bottle dippings. There are people out there who collect nothing but Makers Mark stuff and no other bourbon... I stopped pretty much after the NFL set because it's all the same damn bourbon once you have a 95 black wax and 101 gold wax... Give us some variety here in the US as well Bill.

. There are people out there who collect nothing but Makers Mark stuff and no other bournon... I stopped pretty much after the NFL set because it's all the same damn bourbon once you have a 95 black wax and 101 gold wax...

Mr. Samuels sheds a tear! bandit.gif

• 1 month later...

David, Royal Jamaicas are hard to come by now and I don't even think they are still on the market, but to answer your question--they went way downhill in the early 90's and never recovered. They are akin to smoking a Kroger sack at this point. wink.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.