Pit Stop Suggestions

RBancroft
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

In a few weeks I'll find myself spending the day in Pittsburgh. On most of my driving trips, I usually try to stop by a few liquor stores to see if there is anything that generates some interest. I don't foresee making any stops in Ohio, but I wanted to see if anyone had suggestions for a few places to stop while in the Pittsburgh and/or surrounding area. I'll be coming in from the north via 76, 79 and 279.

Thanks - Ryan

PA is a control state, so there is little variety between state stores.

There also seem to be very few stores. If you want to visit one, I suggest mapping it out ahead of time. I stayed in Pittsburg for a few days. I could not find a single store close to the hotel. I later found out many bars do a brisk carry out business selling cold beer.

There is a craft distillery in what is known as the "strip district"(no it's not what you think, it's a market district) called Wigle whiskey. Check out the website for a tour and tasting. I've never been but it's a suggestion.

I recommend you visit a liquor store here, so you can see the backward way we are forced to live. This is the state's website www.finewineandgoodspirits.com

You can see what the state carries and what stores carry it, so if you are looking for something in particular you know exactly where to go get it. There is some variety between stores, but not much.

• 5 years later...

I'll be in Pitt the next couple of days.  My hotel actually has a Wigle tasting shop inside it.  I guess they can sell bottles, too?  Anyone ever try the Wigle whiskey(s)?

19 minutes ago, Clueby said:

I'll be in Pitt the next couple of days.  My hotel actually has a Wigle tasting shop inside it.  I guess they can sell bottles, too?  Anyone ever try the Wigle whiskey(s)?

Hey man, hit me up if you are looking for something specific, I live about 20 minutes outside of town.  Wigle bourbon is pretty good, just aged very young.  Also, their gin is phenomenal as well.  I haven't tried their rye yet, but I'm not a rye fan.  They do indeed sell bottles, I think their bourbon is $50+ since it is considered a "micro" distillery.  

35 minutes ago, Clueby said:

PA is a control state so if you are looking to hit the stores up you can see where things are in stock at http://www.finewineandgoodspirits.com, I was in PA last weekend and grabbed Ezra Brook Barrel Strength.  

2 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

PA is a control state so if you are looking to hit the stores up you can see where things are in stock at http://www.finewineandgoodspirits.com, I was in PA last weekend and grabbed Ezra Brook Barrel Strength.  

That's one I'm hoping to get. Won't have a lot of time.  Has 4R 130 come and gone?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.