Old Fashioned recipe?

Alden
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I agree that simpler is better. Plus, I'm lazy. My Old Fashioned is some rich 2:1 simple syrup (less than a full spoon, more than half - this isn't an exact science), 2-3 dashes of bitters, 2-4 oz of bourbon or rye. sit all that before adding one big rock. I use Tovolo King ice cube trays to make 2" square cubes, so I can use more whiskey. Again, I'm lazy.

I like higher proof whiskeys for this - Weller SB blend, OGD 114, ECBP, Ritt BIB.

Angostura is the gold standard for bitters in Old Fashioneds. I also like Dead Rabbit's Orinoco bitters (made by Adam Elmegirab), Fee Brothers Whiskey Barrel Aged, and Berg & Hauck’s Jerry Thomas Cocktail Bitters.

I have about 85-90% of a 10 fl oz bottle of Angostura bitters, and I figure I probably won't run out until after I die. Maybe I'll try something different after that.

Thanks to @steeltownbbq's idea, last night I came up with a tequila Old Fashioned variation. A shot of Camarena, about 1/2 oz of triple sec, a couple of dashes of bitters, and ice cubes. It was good.

Tim

I like higher proof whiskeys for this - Weller SB blend, OGD 114, ECBP, Ritt BIB.

Picked up my first bottle of OGD 114 this week, in fact the first I've seen in my area so later today after trying some neet you can bet I'll be using your recipe.

It's not lazy, it's efficient.

I have about 85-90% of a 10 fl oz bottle of Angostura bitters, and I figure I probably won't run out until after I die. Maybe I'll try something different after that.

I don't how adventurous your palate is for cocktails, but here's a surprisingly tasty drink to use up that Angostura, the Trinidad Sour:

Trinidad Sour

1 oz Angostura bitters

1 oz orgeat

¾ oz fresh lemon juice

½ oz rye, such as Ritt BiB

Shake well with ice and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.

That sounds like hangover concentrate, but I can also see it being tasty. Would it suffer tremendously if I substituted amaretto for orgeat?

Edit: Scratch that. My eclectic mother has both orange flower water AND rose water, so I can make my own orgeat! What's a good recipe? I found these two with a quick search:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/11/how-to-make-orgeat-recipe-almond-syrup-for-cocktails.html

http://imbibemagazine.com/Homemade-Orgeat-Recipe

Edited by TheNovaMan

That sounds like hangover concentrate, but I can also see it being tasty. Would it suffer tremendously if I substituted amaretto for orgeat?

Edit: Scratch that. My eclectic mother has both orange flower water AND rose water, so I can make my own orgeat! What's a good recipe? I found these two with a quick search:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/11/how-to-make-orgeat-recipe-almond-syrup-for-cocktails.html

http://imbibemagazine.com/Homemade-Orgeat-Recipe

They are definitely different in both taste and texture so it might make a perfectly fine drink but it wouldn't be the same thing. I would use less amaretto (maybe half what is called for) and supplement the difference with simple syrup to taste. Most everyone, including me, tends to like Luxardo amaretto over DiSaronno.

My favorite recipe for orgeat is to go to the store and buy B.G. Reynolds orgeat (much preferred to the artificial ones like Fee Bros.). Not much of a home mixer, not that there is anything wrong with that I suppose! I would just rather use the time drinking...

Edited by tanstaafl2

In my very brief research on orgeat, I read that it was kind of expensive and one often must order it online, which is why I thought I might make some myself. I have to go on a few errands later today, so I'll keep my eyes open for it, and buy some slivered almonds if I can't find any good commercial orgeat.

In my very brief research on orgeat, I read that it was kind of expensive and one often must order it online, which is why I thought I might make some myself. I have to go on a few errands later today, so I'll keep my eyes open for it, and buy some slivered almonds if I can't find any good commercial orgeat.

B.G. Reynolds is not as cheap as Fee Brothers and others (well worth the difference in cost though in my opinion) but it is available locally in Atlanta. Can't speak to what is available in Michigan. I rarely have much luck with trying to mix my own in general, whether it be orgeat or something else, so I have pretty much quit trying!

• 4 weeks later...

My latest iteration.

Combine in glass:

2oz bourbon (see below for suggestions)

5 dashes of Angostura bitters

1 teaspoon of 1:1 ratio simple syrup

About 7-8 drops of marasca cherry syrup from Luxardo cherry jar - probably 1/10th teaspoon if measurable

Stir briefly

Add 2 large ice cubes

Express a large slice of orange peel, rim glass and discard peel

I find that expressing the orange peel last works best because it really showcases the scent of the orange oil suspended on top of the liquid and on the sides of the glass. I love it when the glass initially smells like a fresh orange, yet the first sip brings out all the strength and flavor of the bourbon and the orange flavor falls in line as an accompaniment.

Depending on how cold and/or strong the consumer wants their cocktail, I will adjust the ice and proof of bourbon. OWA, OGD 114 and 4RSB are great for stronger versions, while Larceny, EC12 and 4RSmB are good for a less intense drink.

• 3 weeks later...

I heard no fruit for Old Fashioneds.

So last week I did:

2oz Maker's Mark

1/2 oz of simple syrup

5 drops of bitters

1 big rock ice cube

1 long stir for 30 seconds

Amazing!

The Old Fashioned is a good way to treat yourself.

Best,

My current go to old fashioned is (which is more of a sazerac hybrid)

2oz WT101

4 drops agnostura orange bitters

1/2 tsp simple syrup (i buy a premade french mixture)

2 drops absinthe

2 large pieces chipped ice

All of the above together stirred in a lowball which has been rubbed down with a piece of flamed lemon peel (discarded)

No fruit

I saw an interesting old fashioned presentation in a bar this weekend. They used cotton candy for the sweetener: squeezed it into a chunk sticking way up out of the glass and poured the drink over it to dissolve. Interesting, but there were more I the resting things on the menu so I did not sample. Thought it was a fancy presentation worth sharing though.

• 3 years later...

I do love an old fashioned. I typically use OGD bonded and actually like to use maple syrup as my sweetener. I also like the taste of bitters a lot so I'm a little heavy handed there. Recipe as follows:

1 tsp Pure Maple Syrup

5-6 shakes Angostura

2-3 shakes Regan's Orange Bitters 

2 oz Bourbon, typically OGD BiB

In a rocks glass with a big ole cube.

I usually don't fuss with any garnish or citrus zest expressions. Simple and minimal fuss. 

• 1 month later...

Here is how I make mine:

- Take a handful of food grade wood smoking chips (whatever "flavor" you like, I use oak) and light

- When they are good and smoking, place your glass over top and leave it like that for about a minute 

- Lay a napkin over the glass and put a sugar cube on top

- Lighly saturate the cube with Angostura bitters (4 or 5 shakes)

- Drop the cube in your glass and hit it with a dash of water

- Muddle the cube 

- Add 1 oz of Bourbon and some ice, stir

- Add another ounce of Bourbon, a little more ice, and stir

- Top off the cocktail with Bourbon anywhere from 1/2 to a full oz usually for me. If you desire more ice add a cube or 2

- Twist an orange peel over the glass and toss it in, add a maraschino cherry with a dash or liquid from the jar, give it a final stir and enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's one that was a staple of my family that I learned from my uncle and dad. 

1/2 orange slice

1 maraschino cherry

2-3 dashes Angostura bitters

2 oz. bourbon

Canada Dry ginger ale

In an old fashioned glass, muddle the orange and cherry.  Add the bitters.  Add the bourbon.  Fill with ice and top with ginger ale.

I still like this one since it's the one I grew up with.  However, since I've really started drinking my bourbon neat for the most part, I find this to be a little too sweet for me depending on the size of the glass and how much you fill it with ginger ale.  Wife still likes it though.  

Weber Grill used to have a variant of this where they grilled the orange slice before muddling and used a ginger liqueur instead of ginger ale.  That one was pretty damn tasty.

I made an Elder Fashioned tonight as follows:

2 oz Rye or bourbon high rye recipe

1/2 oz St. Germain liquer

2 dashes orange bitters

2 dashes Angostura bitters

Garnish with orange zest

• I like it 1

On 11/26/2016 at 7:02 PM, Tennessee Dave said:

I made an Elder Fashioned tonight as follows:

2 oz Rye or bourbon high rye recipe

1/2 oz St. Germain liquer

2 dashes orange bitters

2 dashes Angostura bitters

Garnish with orange zest

This I'm trying tonight.

I usually go:

2oz spirit (depends how I'm feeling, but generally either brandy, rye, or bourbon)

barspoon of simple syrup (at the risk of sounding like a pretentious ****, I make my own with turbinado sugar)

2-3 dashes aromatic bitters.

Sometimes I'll switch out the simple syrup for an equal amount of real maple syrup, or muddle up an orange slice and skip the simple syrup. 

• 7 months later...

In a rocks glass:

bar spoon of home made simple syrup (2:1, I use demera sugar)

4 strong dashes of peychauds

1 big (2 inch square) ice cup

stir for at least 10 seconds. 

bourbon or rye to cover. OGD BiB is my go to here. Nice spice character, and the 100 proof holds up to ice melt. 

IMG_2360.PNG

Edited by Mako254

• 3 weeks later...

Shot of High Rye Bourbon ETL, 1792, etc.

Half of a teaspoon of raw sugar

1/2 Kumquat off the tree outside

Forget the bitters

Let it air for ten minutes, drop in some ice and enjoy.

My favorite daily treat.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been making a lot of this classic cocktail lately. My go to is Rittenhouse, but have been having great success lately with Larceny as well. I make a rich simple syrup using light brown sugar. For bitters, I like using a combo of Angustura and Peychaud's. I hate muddling fruit into my Old Fashioned. But I do like a touch of orange, and cherry flavors, so I do the following:

1tsp of simple syrup, combined with 2 dashes of Angostura, 2 dashes of Peychaud's, and a splash of soda. Add 2-2.5oz of Rye. I chill and shake in a stainless mixer, strain over ice. Then, I add a Luxardo Cherry, with just a touch of the syrup, stir, then express an orange peel and rub on the rim of the glass. Perfect for me.

Tonight I played with adding a very small amount of Cinnamon oil to my simple syrup... very good.

Cheers.

17 minutes ago, Crowes said:

Tonight I played with adding a very small amount of Cinnamon oil to my simple syrup... very good.

Cheers.

Hmmmmm. Very interesting.  My Me-Thinks-Me-Might-Like-That bell just rang...

On 4/20/2013 at 11:40 AM, sku said:

Personally, I like the most basic Old Fashioned with no fruit. Same recipe, just skip the fruit and muddling except to garnish with an orange and/or lemon rind.

It's much easier to use simple syrup than sugar and water, but if you don't mind expending a little effort in muddling the sugar and water, go for it.

I also like a lot of bitters, so I'd probably shake 5 or 6 drops in, but that's just me.

Enjoy!

I'm with you, sku, except mine is even more simple; I just use a teaspoon of sugar and a few drops of water. Then, like you, lots of bitters, bourbon, and ice.

Tim

• 1 month later...

Here is my current recipe.  VOB BiB has been the best to my tastes so far.  Rittenhouse also very good.

1 - Put Rocks glass with a large block cube in freezer to chill;

2 - In a small stainless steel shaker add 1/4 tsp to 1/4 heaping tsp sugar; 4-5 strong shakes of Angostura; and just a tiny splash of water, maybe a 1/2 tsp, swirl the shaker around to mix  and help dissolve;

3 - Fill shaker halfway with normal ice cubs and pour 2 oz of Bourbon, stir briskly while counting to 50.  Yes, it matters!  This allows a little of the ice to melt giving the cocktail that velvety texture and also chills the bourbon so that it does not melt the large cube after being transferred to the rocks glass;

4 - Strain over chilled Rocks Glass;

5 - Using a handheld cheese slicer get a nice big slice of orange peel.  Hold over glass peel side down and twist once in each direction to release oils.  Tuck peel into side of glass;

6 - Optional but highly recommended.  1 sprig of fresh mint press between thumb and forefinger to release oils, place on top so that the drinker's nose is near the mint while sipping;

7 - Last, pour our ice from shaker and immediately add sugar and bitters, the leftover liquid in the glass will be sufficient to dissolve the sugar so no additional water needed. Swirl for a few seconds then go enjoy #1 and when it's time for a refill your "base" is ready to go!  

Occasionally I will use Luxardo Cherries as a garnish also for those who like the sweeter drink.  Enjoy!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.